I ditched the diet "rules" and body image "rules"

Options
californiagirl2012
californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
edited May 2015 in Success Stories
I streamed some vegetables this morning as I like to keep them in the fridge to make custom soup quickly. Along with the veggies I keep a variety of cooked meat and usually some steamed white rice. I use them along with chicken broth and spices and customize the amount of macro's according to my needs for the day or meal. It's easy to pack in a thermos if I need to leave the house.

Some people might not like this method because they want it "more fresh". This works for me because I'm very busy and many times feel I need to make the meal fairly quickly so this way I'm basically just heating up cooked items in the broth.

Other people might want to give you their food rules.

Don't worry about other people's food rules.

Make your own rules!

Don't let people say you must eat vegetables raw or with this or with that.

If you like them raw fine. Do it.

I like mine cooked (but some are okay raw too).

I'm still super healthy.

I eat white rice 'cuz I like it.

I don't eat a lot of processed sugar because it makes me feel like crap, and it "feels" addictive.

I eat cookies and desserts on occasion as a treat, but only when I DECIDE.

No one else gets to decide for me.

I own it.

It is a struggle sometimes because Randy would like me to put on a little more weight. But at the same time, he LETS ME OWN IT. He tells me his opinion and lets it go. I had to fight a bit to get to this point with him. But Randy and I have been married 26 years and we never "fight". We respectfully have our own opinions sometimes. So the "fight" was just within me and a bit of loving communication with him over the years to reach a point of mutual agreement.

I don't think there is any best way to build your body. If you want to be skinny great, if you want to be curvy great, if you want to be toned great, if you want to be lean and muscular great. The look you want is determined by the body fat level for the most part. Girls don't get big muscles when all natural even when they lift heavy. I'm pretty small and my muscles only added at the most 4 pounds to my overall small size. If I let my body fat come up a bit more then I'd be more curvy or "toned" or whatever you want to call it.

It the end all that matters is WHAT YOU WANT FOR YOUR OWN BODY. It doesn't much matter what anyone else thinks. You are the one who has to live with your own self 24x7.

I like being lean and my doctors say it's fine. I'm healthy as can be. I don't have eating disorders and never have.

But I do struggle like everyone else. I deal with stress hunger like everyone else. I love food like everyone else. I wish I could just eat what I want like everyone else.

But no. I have to constantly remind myself I can have more next time.

I have to constantly be aware and ask myself WHY do I want to eat extra? Is it to fill this void of insecurity or anxiety about whatever is going on in my life. A lot of times it is. Sometimes I walk away from the food and other times I'm not so perfect.

We move on. We do the best we can.

16440072.png

Replies

• fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Very awesome write up! I agree with everything you say! Congratulations on working on you, after all that's all that matters:)
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    You're awesome.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    good for you, well done and thought out!
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Thank you all <3B)
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love this!
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    sjdoman wrote: »
    I love this!

Yay. I really try to help others. <3<3<3

• californiagirl2012
    Options
    Okay so I'm a total dork!!!! I just realized I was warned because I posted pictures in my post from instagram. I stumbled upon how the link shows the picture the other day and it was easier than photobucket. Now I know I have to use photobucket instead.

So, the two pictures that went with what I wrote are here:

image.jpg1_zpsnm67obuy.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsjrnfja0b.jpg

What a freakin dork I am!!!!
  • ToriJ84
    ToriJ84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Inspirational. I needed to read this today. I am struggling with what box to fit in so I can be successful with weight loss...maybe I just need to make my own!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You're incredible!
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    ToriJ84 wrote: »
    Inspirational. I needed to read this today. I am struggling with what box to fit in so I can be successful with weight loss...maybe I just need to make my own!

Yes, make your own!!!!!!!! <3

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational. You have an awesome build as well :)
  • ponybrown
    ponybrown Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I also needed to read this tonight. You look like the fittest thing I've seen! Truly gorgeous and seem quite lovely as a person to boot! Thanks for the encouragement.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Omg I have just read your profile and seen your age - my HERO
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    The success story is that you prepared food?
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Omg I have just read your profile and seen your age - my HERO

Thank you. Anyone can do it at any age, just the simple choices every day, setting up your environment for success (and ingnoring the sarcastic mean people ;) )

• neethuct
    neethuct Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, truly what I believe in but tend to forget at times.
    You look great. You're awesome. :smiley::wink:
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Thank you so much, truly what I believe in but tend to forget at times.
    You look great. You're awesome. :smiley::wink:

It is funny how we all need the reminders. It's hard isn't it? So simple, yet so hard. ;)

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    there are rules for food? rules for body?

what are these rules?

Congratulations to you for doing you. That is what is important. As long as you are healthy and taking care of yourself, what you do with your body is really your decision.
  • californiagirl2012
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    there are rules for food? rules for body?

what are these rules?

Congratulations to you for doing you. That is what is important. As long as you are healthy and taking care of yourself, what you do with your body is really your decision.

All the rules all over the internet, and pushed on you by friends i.e. you must eat breakfast, you must eat every two hours, you must only eat brown rice and whole grains, you must eat raw, you must take coconut oil at a certain time, you must eat these foods at a certain time, you must workout at a certain time, and for body image things like skinny is the new strong, skinny shaming, fat shaming, muscle shaming, blah blah blah. I spend a lot of time helping people get over these things, and I've had to get over them myself.

We learn, we evolve. <3 We make mistakes, we keep going.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!