Options
124»

Replies

• willking618
    willking618 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    I have no idea how it relates to running on a treadmill but I have noticed the median in a 5K race is usually about 8 minutes per mile pace. That would be 25 minutes for a 5K. Half the men faster and half the men slower.

Of course a race draws runners from fast to slow but most are motivated to do their best and are probably slower when not racing.

At 35 minutes you would not be the last person to finish.

Haha so I'm still really slow. This is all I wanted to know. A lot more effort is needed

it's so much more than just effort. it's building endurance and lung capacity. it's training the blood vessels in your body to better deliver oxygen to your limbs, it's core strength, it's tenacity. it's dropping weight, and race experience.

it's so much more than just going faster.

I welcome the advice as I'm on no way in the know on any of this but isn't pushing yourself to the limit every time you workout the way to achieve this. I lift weights and spend and hour on the treadmill and an hour on the concept 2 5 days a week. 3 months in I've dropped 2 stone and gone from not being able to runfor even a minute to non stop for 40 (all be it on a treadmill) I'm not looking for a pat on the back I'm just saying pure effort has got me this far.

no. thats a great way to end up injured.

congrats on getting fit and building your running ability. however, there is a difference between working out and training. an hour on the treadmill is great for being good at running on the treadmill for an hour. but if you want to build speed go do some hill repeats, or 400m repeats, or a fartlek run. build endurance by going a little further or a little longer once a week. throw in a tempo run once a week to get used to running a medium distance at a higher speed. hit the weights twice a week for some muscular development and to target your weak areas. hit that concept thing once a week to build a little more cardiovascular strength without killing your legs.

stretch. eat right. quit smoking. quit getting drunk and racing your nephew.

like i said, it's so much more than just effort.

Yeah I'm not that serious about running really. Im not built for distance and the main reason I started was to lose weight. Not looking for a runners physic also if you know what I mean. just wanted to know how slow i was just to improve a bit. Not looking to enter any races either. Thanks for all the advice though.

If you don't want to compete in a 5k why do you care if you can run it fast or slow?

Because its good to be good at things

I thought you weren't serious about running?

I'm not just as I wasn't in school but 16 year old me was a half decent runner/ sprinter at short and short medium distance without being serious about it. Used to be able to run a mile in around 5:30 without even trying or training for it. 7 years of little exercise later I'm just trying to get reasonable fitness again . Nothing serious.
  • willking618
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Running farther and faster whilst drunk is my no1 goal. Its what I live for

I run for beer, myself.

Improving your cardiopulmonary system may save your life. If Zombies attack while you are on your fifth pint at the pub, you'll be able to outrun your drinking buddies. Let them become Zombie-fodder.

This is exactly my point
  • willking618
    Options
    I have no idea how it relates to running on a treadmill but I have noticed the median in a 5K race is usually about 8 minutes per mile pace. That would be 25 minutes for a 5K. Half the men faster and half the men slower.

Of course a race draws runners from fast to slow but most are motivated to do their best and are probably slower when not racing.

At 35 minutes you would not be the last person to finish.

Haha so I'm still really slow. This is all I wanted to know. A lot more effort is needed

it's so much more than just effort. it's building endurance and lung capacity. it's training the blood vessels in your body to better deliver oxygen to your limbs, it's core strength, it's tenacity. it's dropping weight, and race experience.

it's so much more than just going faster.

I welcome the advice as I'm on no way in the know on any of this but isn't pushing yourself to the limit every time you workout the way to achieve this. I lift weights and spend and hour on the treadmill and an hour on the concept 2 5 days a week. 3 months in I've dropped 2 stone and gone from not being able to runfor even a minute to non stop for 40 (all be it on a treadmill) I'm not looking for a pat on the back I'm just saying pure effort has got me this far.

no. thats a great way to end up injured.

congrats on getting fit and building your running ability. however, there is a difference between working out and training. an hour on the treadmill is great for being good at running on the treadmill for an hour. but if you want to build speed go do some hill repeats, or 400m repeats, or a fartlek run. build endurance by going a little further or a little longer once a week. throw in a tempo run once a week to get used to running a medium distance at a higher speed. hit the weights twice a week for some muscular development and to target your weak areas. hit that concept thing once a week to build a little more cardiovascular strength without killing your legs.

stretch. eat right. quit smoking. quit getting drunk and racing your nephew.

like i said, it's so much more than just effort.

Yeah I'm not that serious about running really. Im not built for distance and the main reason I started was to lose weight. Not looking for a runners physic also if you know what I mean. just wanted to know how slow i was just to improve a bit. Not looking to enter any races either. Thanks for all the advice though.

If you don't want to compete in a 5k why do you care if you can run it fast or slow?

Because its good to be good at things

I thought you weren't serious about running?

I'm not just as I wasn't in school but 16 year old me was a half decent runner/ sprinter at short and short medium distance without being serious about it. Used to be able to run a mile in around 5:30 without even trying or training for it. 7 years of little exercise later I'm just trying to get reasonable fitness again . Nothing serious. [/qu
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    This thread would not have gone on so long if someone would have just said "What??? You can run 5k at 7% incline the WHOLE time??? No way!!! Get out of town!!! That is incredibly amazing!!!"
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Talking about running, beer, and zombies is worth the price of admission for some of us.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Good point...
  • willking618
    Options
  • willking618
    Options
    Not really. It's not that great. Anyone could do it