Options

Replies

• willking618
    willking618 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I ran my last 5K in 28:53, which was two minutes and a second faster than my previous time. Therefore, I considered it excellent.

That's really the only way you should judge such things.

I appreciate what you are saying I was just looking for an answer to whether it was better worse or average. I'm not happy with just beating my last time. I'm just curious where I am now relative to age sex weight etc and want to be closer to the best in that bracket. I have that info now though but cheers for the reply anyway chap
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is that the data are distributed all over the place, so it is incredibly hard to quantify what is considered "good". The fastest "regular" guys are going to be running in the 15s. The world record is somewhere in the 12s. New runners can get around 30 or so. Some will take 40+ depending on experience and fitness. And you will see anything in between. If you are looking for a good number to shoot for, 20 minutes seems to be a common goal for many people who are looking to take the next step in their running. It is quite difficult to achieve for someone who isn't already experienced (that is a 6:27/mile average). If that is too much, try for 25:00, then keep going.

• willking618
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I think the issue is that the data are distributed all over the place, so it is incredibly hard to quantify what is considered "good". The fastest "regular" guys are going to be running in the 15s. The world record is somewhere in the 12s. New runners can get around 30 or so. Some will take 40+ depending on experience and fitness. And you will see anything in between. If you are looking for a good number to shoot for, 20 minutes seems to be a common goal for many people who are looking to take the next step in their running. It is quite difficult to achieve for someone who isn't already experienced (that is a 6:27/mile average). If that is too much, try for 25:00, then keep going.

Cheers mate this is pretty much what I was looking for to begin with lol
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how it relates to running on a treadmill but I have noticed the median in a 5K race is usually about 8 minutes per mile pace. That would be 25 minutes for a 5K. Half the men faster and half the men slower.

Of course a race draws runners from fast to slow but most are motivated to do their best and are probably slower when not racing.

At 35 minutes you would not be the last person to finish.
  • willking618
    Options
    I have no idea how it relates to running on a treadmill but I have noticed the median in a 5K race is usually about 8 minutes per mile pace. That would be 25 minutes for a 5K. Half the men faster and half the men slower.

Of course a race draws runners from fast to slow but most are motivated to do their best and are probably slower when not racing.

Haha so I'm still really slow. This is all I wanted to know. A lot more effort is needed
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Haha so I'm still really slow. This is all I wanted to know. A lot more effort is needed

But a 7% incline on the treadmill is waaay more compensation than you need to mimic outside conditions. Try it at 1-1.5% and see how you do. this should be more in line with the 5K race averages he's talking about.
  • willking618
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have no idea how It relates to running on a treadmill but I have noticed the median in a 5K race is usually about 8 minutes per mile pace. That would be 25 minutes for a 5K. Half the men faster and half the men slower.

But a 7% incline on the treadmill is waaay more compensation than you need to mimic outside conditions. Try it at 1-1.5% and see how you do. this should be more in line with the 5K race averages he's talking about.

What im trying to do is get a 7% incline time that would be respectable on the flat (say 25 mins) so as when i run on the flat it will be much faster and easier. My view is I'll get fitter and stronger faster this way
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how It relates to running on a treadmill but I have noticed the median in a 5K race is usually about 8 minutes per mile pace. That would be 25 minutes for a 5K. Half the men faster and half the men slower.

What im trying to do is get a 7% incline time that would be respectable on the flat (say 25 mins) so as when i run on the flat it will be much faster and easier. My view is I'll get fitter and stronger faster this way

Ah, I see. Definitely an unconventional way of training, but I get your logic. The only thing that I would question is that since you are, admittedly, comparing apples to oranges here, you really don't know what your true goal on the incline should be. Maybe achieving a 25 min 5K at 7% is harder than you think. Maybe the person who runs a sub 20 minute 5K can't even do it. At some point you might want to run on a flat course and see how your times compare just so that your not setting unrealistic goals for yourself.
  • glevinso
    Options

Not really. You will get good at running on an incline, but not really be able to translate that to flat running. Train like you race. If you want to race hills, train hills. If you want to race on the flat, train on the flat. You won't be able to train the muscles for speed if you are constantly making them climb (the muscles work differently doing these things)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

yeah, a lot of people i know have trained on a treadmill only to get outside and be completely destroyed when running on a road.

my advice is to do mostly outdoor running, as often as possible.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

it's so much more than just effort. it's building endurance and lung capacity. it's training the blood vessels in your body to better deliver oxygen to your limbs, it's core strength, it's tenacity. it's dropping weight, and race experience.

it's so much more than just going faster.
  • willking618
    Options

Plus my treadmill slips and squeels and is impossible to run on on anything other than 7%
    glevinso wrote: »

Not really. You will get good at running on an incline, but not really be able to translate that to flat running. Train like you race. If you want to race hills, train hills. If you want to race on the flat, train on the flat. You won't be able to train the muscles for speed if you are constantly making them climb (the muscles work differently doing these things)

Ok thanks for the advice. I'll start to run outdoors more and see how it goes
  • willking618
    Options

yeah, a lot of people i know have trained on a treadmill only to get outside and be completely destroyed when running on a road.

Did wonder about this. Tried to run against my nephew this Saturday gone (bare in mind I was drunk at the time) and I was pretty destroyed after absolutely no time at all. I blamed it on being drunk as you do but maybe what you said is true for me aswell. Need to run outside more
  • willking618
    Options

it's so much more than just effort. it's building endurance and lung capacity. it's training the blood vessels in your body to better deliver oxygen to your limbs, it's core strength, it's tenacity. it's dropping weight, and race experience.

I welcome the advice as I'm on no way in the know on any of this but isn't pushing yourself to the limit every time you workout the way to achieve this. I lift weights and spend and hour on the treadmill and an hour on the concept 2 5 days a week. 3 months in I've dropped 2 stone and gone from not being able to runfor even a minute to non stop for 40 (all be it on a treadmill) I'm not looking for a pat on the back I'm just saying pure effort has got me this far.
  • willking618
    Options

I welcome the advice as I'm on no way in the know on any of this but isn't pushing yourself to the limit every time you workout the way to achieve this. I lift weights and spend and hour on the treadmill and an hour on the concept 2 5 days a week. 3 months in I've dropped 2 stone and gone from not being able to runfor even a minute to non stop for 40 (all be it on a treadmill) I'm not looking for a pat on the back I'm just saying pure effort has got me this far.

P.s I'm a lot better at rowing than running.PB of 6:40 2000m erg
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I doubt you can make a one-to-one comparison between treadmill running and road running.

I despise treadmill running and have to modify my gait in order to do so. I have a long stride which doesn't lend itself well to any treadmill I have tried.

In Dec., Jan., Feb., and March I run on an indoor track and all other months I run outside. Did I mention that I despise treadmill running?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

no. thats a great way to end up injured.

congrats on getting fit and building your running ability. however, there is a difference between working out and training. an hour on the treadmill is great for being good at running on the treadmill for an hour. but if you want to build speed go do some hill repeats, or 400m repeats, or a fartlek run. build endurance by going a little further or a little longer once a week. throw in a tempo run once a week to get used to running a medium distance at a higher speed. hit the weights twice a week for some muscular development and to target your weak areas. hit that concept thing once a week to build a little more cardiovascular strength without killing your legs.

stretch. eat right. quit smoking. quit getting drunk and racing your nephew.

like i said, it's so much more than just effort.
  • glevinso
    Options

NO! I have to agree with the Captain here. Pushing yourself "to the limit" is ONLY for race day (or otherwise designated time trial, or test day). You can't expect to perform at your limit every single day.

Most of your training should be at moderate to easy intensity. Usually only once per week (or maybe twice if experienced) will you do anything resembling speed work. Pushing limits often only leads to injury.
  • willking618
    Options

no. thats a great way to end up injured.

congrats on getting fit and building your running ability. however, there is a difference between working out and training. an hour on the treadmill is great for being good at running on the treadmill for an hour. but if you want to build speed go do some hill repeats, or 400m repeats, or a fartlek run. build endurance by going a little further or a little longer once a week. throw in a tempo run once a week to get used to running a medium distance at a higher speed. hit the weights twice a week for some muscular development and to target your weak areas. hit that concept thing once a week to build a little more cardiovascular strength without killing your legs.

stretch. eat right. quit smoking. quit getting drunk and racing your nephew.

like i said, it's so much more than just effort.

Yeah I'm not that serious about running really. Im not built for distance and the main reason I started was to lose weight. Not looking for a runners physic also if you know what I mean. just wanted to know how slow i was just to improve a bit. Not looking to enter any races either. Thanks for all the advice though.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

+1.

The only time I would ever consider training on a treadmill is when there is ice or snow on my running route. Where I live that is almost never. Rain or shine, I go outside. Running on a treadmill simply isn't the same.