Options
Hi was just wondering what a good 5k time is on a treadmill set at 7% incline all the way. Im 6,2 and not exactly light at 90 odd kgs and can do it in around 35 mins. Is this rubbish, average or decent? I know anything under 20 on the flat and level is ok but haven't timed that yet

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A "good" time is completely relative. What I consider a good time for myself is not something that a super athlete, or even a more experienced runner would consider a good time whatsoever.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    a GOOD time???

Theres only one person you need to compare against, thats yourself.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Unless you are planning on trying to win the race, it doesn't make any difference what your time is compared to anyone else. Just go run and be happy you are improving.
  • willking618
    willking618 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Haha I'm not sensitive just tell me if its rubbish. I'm just curious how far I am off a good time for someone in proper shape and was wondering if anyone else regularly runs it at 7% to compare myself to.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Some c25k programmes suggest that 30 minutes for 5k could be a target to aim for even if its months after completing the programme. That was my aim but I bought a heart rate monitor and now run try and run within heart rates zones rather than concentrating on times. I'd prefer not to have a heart attack while running.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone said.

I find it hard to say what I would call a good time for such a 5k, because I don't run in areas with a slope that much and if there's a slope its only a few hundred meters long at most; that's what the Netherlands is like, flat as a pancake.

My PR for a 5k without a slope is just over 20 minutes. I would be very happy to do it under 20, I expect to be able to do that in a month or two. I guess with that slope I would be happy if I can do it in 25 minutes, but again it's hard to say. It may as well take me 30.

And again it's very personal. Some people do a 5k in 15 minutes, some do it in 30. Just do that 5k/7%, note down your best time, train for a month or so and then try if you can break it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Set a goal for yourself and make it. Then set a new one and make that. As you improve, keep setting new goals. It's about what you are doing for yourself.

Myself, I can't run anymore, and use a cane to walk now. (For exercise I use an elliptical).
    I walked a 5K last weekend for brain tumor research, and I came in dead last. My time was 1 hour and 29 minutes. Personal worst time ever. I was ecstatic. Because I finished.

It's all about your personal goals, OP. Not who you beat or anything else. Just your own achievements and how you feel about them.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If you are really curious about how you stack up to others, sign up for a 5K race. They will post all of the results according to age group, gender, etc. Running on an incline on a treadmill is not the same as running outside and running on one treadmill may be very different than running on another. A 5K race will give you a comparison of how you stack up to others on an identical course under identical conditions.
  • willking618
    Options
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    http://www.pace-calculator.com/5k-pace-comparison.php

I can't help with the incline. This shows averages by age group. I run a 5k at an average of roughly 25 minutes. Many are faster, and many more are slower. I'm just trying to beat my former best.
  • willking618
    Options
    Cheers for the replies. Will set 30 as my goal. My thinking behind running 100% on an incline is so when i eventually try to do it on the flat it will be a lot easier and I'll improve faster. Ultimate goal is to get back to the shape I was in in school where I could do 1500 in 5.30 but I'm still way off that. must work harder
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options
    There is some science behind running treadmill incline, and running outside in the wild as it pertains to your VO2. I believe this study involves only flat surfaces outside:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8887211
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options
    Another study involving treadmill incline grade vs. outdoor incline grade finds no statistically significant difference in VO2:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4033405
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Another study involving treadmill incline grade vs. outdoor incline grade finds no statistically significant difference in VO2:

That's to be expected, assuming distances are long enough that exertion levels above 100% V02max aren't significant. Power output remains roughly constant, so the hill just makes the runner go more slowly, for the same V02.
  • willking618
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

That's to be expected, assuming distances are long enough that exertion levels above 100% V02max aren't significant. Power output remains roughly constant, so the hill just makes the runner go more slowly, for the same V02.

One thing it does help with though is calf and tendon strenth.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

One thing it does help with though is calf and tendon strenth.

For sure! And other bits can improve, too! :drinker:
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    First, I doubt anybody can tell you anything about a 7% relentless 5k because nobody does that.

The thing is what is a "good time" is meaningless. I raced a 5k a few weeks ago with a small field (only 50 or so people). I won that race with a time of 18:17. Is that good? It was a PR for me, so I sure thought so. However, if one of the local high school cross country kids showed up I bet I would have gotten dusted (those kids can run in the 16s regularly).

It is all relative.
  • willking618
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    First, I doubt anybody can tell you anything about a 7% relentless 5k because nobody does that.

The thing is what is a "good time" is meaningless. I raced a 5k a few weekperson with a small field (only 50 or so people). I won that race with a time of 18:17. Is that good? It was a PR for me, so I sure thought so. However, if one of the local high school cross country kids showed up I bet I would have gotten dusted (those kids can run in the 16s regularly).

It is all relative.

Yeah I meant good compared to average. I obviously know its nowhere near good for a keen athlete and for an obese 40 *kitten* a day 60 year old alcoholic it would be an Olympic feat lol
  • willking618
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

The thing is what is a "good time" is meaningless. I raced a 5k a few weekperson with a small field (only 50 or so people). I won that race with a time of 18:17. Is that good? It was a PR for me, so I sure thought so. However, if one of the local high school cross country kids showed up I bet I would have gotten dusted (those kids can run in the 16s regularly).

It is all relative.

Yeah I meant good compared to average. I obviously know its nowhere near good for a keen athlete and for an obese 40 *kitten* a day 60 year old alcoholic it would be an Olympic feat lol

Yes the apparent swear word that is covered is another word for cigarette btw
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I ran my last 5K in 28:53, which was two minutes and a second faster than my previous time. Therefore, I considered it excellent.

That's really the only way you should judge such things.