When will I start to lose weight after starting Stronglifts 5x5?

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    mora982 wrote: »
    You're doing weightlifting on only 1300-1500 calories a day? I'd be less worried about weight loss and more worried about fatigue and injury.

I'm still lifting somehow light weights as I'm a beginner!!
    My progress so far is

SQ 17.5 kg 5x5
    OHP 15 kg 5x5
    Row 12.5 kg 5x5
    Bench 12.5 kg 5x5
    DLF 25 kg 1x5

Any recommendations for calories on lifting days!!

It's impossible to recommend a calorie intake without knowing how much weight you want to lose, how tall you are, and what the rest of your daily activity looks like. I could be completely off base, but that calorie intake just sounds really low to me. I would definitely be struggling.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I think I retained water for the first 2 weeks, but I'll have to check. I also retained water again when I switched to Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 (similar to Stronglifts with some additional muscle work).
    I have lost weight though.

Scratch that, I lost like 2 lbs at first, but then retained water for about 3 weeks once I got to heavy weights (heavy for me, I started with just the bar) which was about 2 weeks in. I retained water almost immediately when I switched to Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 and that lasted about 2 weeks.

However I've lost 15.5lbs in the 15 weeks since I started. I've gone from a size 12 women's/13 juniors to a size 8/9.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't rely on the scales and I know that's hard to do, I battle with myself about it too. But the best measure is photos and the tape measure.

I have quite a bit to lose and started Insanity nearly 6 weeks ago, I haven't shown a loss on the scales yet but I have lost many inches, a dress size and I look completely different in before and afters. I know I am prone to retaining water and given how long I was sedentary for before starting the programme I know my muscles are probably taking quite the pasting and this is adding to water retention for repair.

So don't get disheartened at not seeing a loss on the scales, they're not the only measure you should be losing to stay motivated!
  • Labyrinth66
    Labyrinth66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't use Stronglifts, per se, but I do weights and bodyweight lifting more than any other routine (and I do like the straightforward manner Mehdi takes - therefore, I do check out his site for useful information).

Also, (just so it's said up front) I haven't been using a deficit because I need to keep calories (nutrients) up more than anything else. With that said, I've been doing my routine for about three weeks and am still losing weight, albeit slowly but also fairly steadily. Sometimes it's just a fraction of a pound, sometimes more or even less when checked weekly. You may not see the weight change on the scale quickly, but (as you understand already) the mirror, a tape measure, and changes in the way your clothes fit will become apparent quicker.

I don't think there's any way for someone to say exactly when you'll see more results on the scale because we're all so different and it just takes time and effort for your metabolism to get a kick start (for lack of better words). And while you're strengthening your muscles, you're likely 'adding' weight there, as well as decreasing fat content. But 0.5 kg in the first week is a great start!

Listing a few links to articles that may (or not) give you some more information on metabolism and fluid retention that you can just check out to maybe hone your routine to your own liking. Wish there were more I could say that directly answers your questions. Keep it going; you're off to a great start!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/water.htm
    http://www.muscleforlife.com/water-retention-and-weight-loss/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/9-tips-to-increase-metabolism.htm
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/get-more-burn-from-your-workout
    http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/study-the-lifting-method-that-sky-rockets-your-metabolism
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080205121740.htm
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/juliewilcox/2012/05/31/health-benefits-weightlifting/
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You're doing weightlifting on only 1300-1500 calories a day? I'd be less worried about weight loss and more worried about fatigue and injury.

I'm still lifting somehow light weights as I'm a beginner!!
    My progress so far is

SQ 17.5 kg 5x5
    OHP 15 kg 5x5
    Row 12.5 kg 5x5
    Bench 12.5 kg 5x5
    DLF 25 kg 1x5

Any recommendations for calories on lifting days!!

It's impossible to recommend a calorie intake without knowing how much weight you want to lose, how tall you are, and what the rest of your daily activity looks like. I could be completely off base, but that calorie intake just sounds really low to me. I would definitely be struggling.

I'm 5'2" and I need to lose 85 lb. I've a sedentary job and I do some walking on non lifting days!!
  • mora982
    Options
    @VintageFeline , @Labyrinth66 Thanks for sharing useful information!!
  • mora982
    Options
    @Shadow2soul great loss after all!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I ran the stats (although I did not have exact weight) I used 250 and 220 and her BMR is 1900+... I set it to sedentary/desk job as well. The 1300 calories way low and not sure how MFP set this goal up for a 5'2" age 32 with a weight range 220 - 250.. I only picked this range because with 85 to loose this puts her in the 140 - 170 pound range..

To loose weight it is possible to be around 1800 calories to eat and loose weight.. As far as muscle gains to fat loss... totally impossible to predict.

Newbie gains will occur and within the first several months and then it will taper off.. The amount of fat loss is totally unpredictable and the nutrition side of the equation has to almost be perfect in order for this to occur simultaneously..

IMO and my experience, recomping works best within in maintenance and even a slight deficit and if you are already lean (which in the case not) the definition will start show quicker. However with 30%+ body fat the numbers are totally unpredictable as I said a lot has to be right before this happens..

My advice, loose the body fat, eat a deficit and continue to loose weight and KEEP your muscle mass by continuing to lift and maybe even add some cardio days for additional calorie burns (totally optional).

There is no science or magic number to give to her.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I want to know too.. I get confused on how many calories I am suppose to be eating too.. I checked my TDEE and did a 20% deficit which is 1500 calories for the day but then I hear that we should eat more on lifting days but my goal is to lose extra fat and tone up. Everyone keeps saying working out won't help, just eating at a deficit will help lose weight so if lifting doesn't help me lose weight, why would I I adjust my calories for lifting days? I guess what confuses me is I thought that Lifting would help build muscle, boost my metabolism which in turn would help me burn more calories, thus losing weight (As long as I kept in my TDEE zone)? ... But I keep reading responses that lifting does not burn calories and does not help with losing extra unwanted fat. When I go to the gym and I am doing 15 squats at 145lbs, how could I not be burning any calories? That was my first question when I tried to enter in my exercise in MFP and it would not calculate any calories burned. When I posted the question, responses were "because lifting does not burn calories so you can add the exercises in MFP but it won't say how many calories you burned"

Confused :(
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I ran the stats (although I did not have exact weight) I used 250 and 220 and her BMR is 1900+... I set it to sedentary/desk job as well. The 1300 calories way low and not sure how MFP set this goal up for a 5'2" age 32 with a weight range 220 - 250.. I only picked this range because with 85 to loose this puts her in the 140 - 170 pound range..

To loose weight it is possible to be around 1800 calories to eat and loose weight.. As far as muscle gains to fat loss... totally impossible to predict.

Newbie gains will occur and within the first several months and then it will taper off.. The amount of fat loss is totally unpredictable and the nutrition side of the equation has to almost be perfect in order for this to occur simultaneously..

IMO and my experience, recomping works best within in maintenance and even a slight deficit and if you are already lean (which in the case not) the definition will start show quicker. However with 30%+ body fat the numbers are totally unpredictable as I said a lot has to be right before this happens..

My advice, loose the body fat, eat a deficit and continue to loose and keep your muscle mass by continuing to lift.

^^^This, OP.

Eat whatever calories you choose, but you could very likely be eating more and still lose body fat. Notice I didn't say lose weight. Because you are lifting, your weight loss is more likely to be masked by water retention and muscle repair. Keep your calorie intake in check, and use multiple markers to track you progress (like pictures, tape measurements, fitness goals, etc).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I want to know too.. I get confused on how many calories I am suppose to be eating too.. I checked my TDEE and did a 20% deficit which is 1500 calories for the day but then I hear that we should eat more on lifting days but my goal is to lose extra fat and tone up. Everyone keeps saying working out won't help, just eating at a deficit will help lose weight so if lifting doesn't help me lose weight, why would I I adjust my calories for lifting days? I guess what confuses me is I thought that Lifting would help build muscle, boost my metabolism which in turn would help me burn more calories, thus losing weight (As long as I kept in my TDEE zone)? ... But I keep reading responses that lifting does not burn calories and does not help with losing extra unwanted fat. When I go to the gym and I am doing 15 squats at 145lbs, how could I not be burning any calories? That was my first question when I tried to enter in my exercise in MFP and it would not calculate any calories burned. When I posted the question, responses were "because lifting does not burn calories so you can add the exercises in MFP but it won't say how many calories you burned"

Some people, like myself, cannot do TDEE method when I'm on a lifting regimen. TDEE-20% means that you have a deficit built in every day, whether you workout or not. That means that when you do workout, your deficit is larger than the days you don't. At the end of the week, it all evens out, but I am miserably hungry on lifting days. So, I do it the MFP way and add exercise calories on workout days so I can eat more and fuel my workouts.

Lifting does burn calories, but that should not be your goal when lifting. People lift to retain or build muscle. If you want to burn calories or increase your deficit, do some cardio. People that ONLY lift rely solely on their diet to lose the extra fat because lifting burns so little calories.

Oh, and if you want to add your calories burned from strength workouts, there is an entry for it. You just have to click on cardio and search for "Strength Training" or "Calisthenics" or whatever type of workout you did.
  • mora982
    Options
    Tha

My advice, loose the body fat, eat a deficit and continue to loose weight and KEEP your muscle mass by continuing to lift and maybe even add some cardio days for additional calorie burns (totally optional).

Thank you for your help. I'm currently 216 lb ... could you run the stats and tell me the numbers. Also how should I set my macros!!
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Some people, like myself, cannot do TDEE method when I'm on a lifting regimen. TDEE-20% means that you have a deficit built in every day, whether you workout or not. That means that when you do workout, your deficit is larger than the days you don't. At the end of the week, it all evens out, but I am miserably hungry on lifting days. So, I do it the MFP way and add exercise calories on workout days so I can eat more and fuel my workouts.

Lifting does burn calories, but that should not be your goal when lifting. People lift to retain or build muscle. If you want to burn calories or increase your deficit, do some cardio. People that ONLY lift rely solely on their diet to lose the extra fat because lifting burns so little calories.

Oh, and if you want to add your calories burned from strength workouts, there is an entry for it. You just have to click on cardio and search for "Strength Training" or "Calisthenics" or whatever type of workout you did.

Perfection... nicely done!

I cannot do TDEE either.. and I too could chew my own arm off from being hungry right after the workout.. :)
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Tha

Thank you for your help. I'm currently 216 lb ... could you run the stats and tell me the numbers. Also how should I set my macros!!

Your BMR is 1910
    TDEE (total daily energery expenditure) is approx 2292
    Daily Carlories to loose at 2 lbs a week is 1830..

I set this up as sedentary/desk job. When you setup MFP, use the same thing.. It should come up around 1800 (which is your deficit or number of calories to eat)...

Since you are lifting, if you plan to eat a good bit of protein so I would set this first (40 - 45%) then your fats and then what is left over for carbs..

• mora982
    Options
    Tha

Your BMR is 1910

I set this up as sedentary/desk job. When you setup MFP, use the same thing.. It should come up around 1800 (which is your deficit or number of calories to eat)...

Since you are lifting, if you plan to eat a good bit of protein so I would set this first (40 - 45%) then your fats and then what is left over for carbs..

Great, what about fats and carbs. What % should I set for each?
  • RoxieDawn
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Tha

Your BMR is 1910

If you plan to eat a good bit of protein (which I do) and want to set protein at 45%, perhaps fats at 25% and carbs 30%

or if you want to lower protein a bit you could set protein to 40%, perhaps fats 30% or 25% and the rest carbs..

I cannot attest to what your diet and nutrition look like or are planning to do or change, so these are just numbers and you can set them however you wish, and for example you want more carbs, you adjust later on or try a higher carb approach now, etc...

Your fats should be along the line of (for example only) butter, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, seeds, nut butters, cheese or cottage cheese etc.. so make sure you log your fats when logging into your diary..
  • mora982
    Options
    Tha

Your BMR is 1910

If you plan to eat a good bit of protein (which I do) and want to set protein at 45%, perhaps fats at 25% and carbs 30%

or if you want to lower protein a bit you could set protein to 40%, perhaps fats 30% or 25% and the rest carbs..

I cannot attest to what your diet and nutrition look like or are planning to do or change, so these are just numbers and you can set them however you wish, and for example you want more carbs, you adjust later on or try a higher carb approach now, etc...

Your fats should be along the line of (for example only) butter, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, seeds, nut butters, cheese or cottage cheese etc.. so make sure you log your fats when logging into your diary..

Okay I'll change my goals according to these numbers :smile:
  • Labyrinth66
    Options
    Just to answer another question you posted here, I found this: http://www.leighpeele.com/a-realistic-look-at-goal-setting-muscle-gain-2 which states approximately the same as I found elsewhere. Just *don't get discouraged if you find yourself outside the numbers (it's not uncommon, and those tables are really for 'doing everything perfect'). Hope it sheds some realistic light on your query regarding approximate muscle gain to be expected.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Tha

Your BMR is 1910

That's only a 462 Calorie deficit per day - about 1 lb per week. 1300 Calories (like OP is currently eating) would be a 992 Calorie deficit, which is about 2 lb per week. This, of course, assumes that OP's real TDEE matches up with (or is at least very close to) the estimated TDEE.

That said, 1800 is what I'd recommend. Or at least, closer to 1800 than 1300. With the 2 lb/week deficit comes a higher likelihood of losing more lean mass than with the 1 lb/week deficit.
  • Labyrinth66
    Options
    "...Or at least, closer to 1800 than 1300. With the 2 lb/week deficit comes a higher likelihood of losing more lean mass than with the 1 lb/week deficit."

+1