Is it true, when we get older it is hard to loss weight ?

24 is a big number i guess

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    As a general truism...I guess so. Metabolism tends to slow down as you age, and your body simply isn't able to do as much and as rigorous activities as you can when you're young.

That said, 24 is no where near old enough to start worrying about either of those. I'm 40, and I'm only just beginning to ever so slightly notice...
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    I don't know if it's so much a matter of numerical age as it is life. As you get older, more things demand your time and attention, making it harder to devote time and attention to weight control and fitness. Job responsibilities, families, financial woes, all that kind of stuff adds up.

And it doesn't help that your body does get older over time. Joints you weren't very conscious of in your younger years start to creak, and muscles seem stiffer than they used to.

But all of that can be overcome. You just have to make the choice to do so.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    24 is old? What does that make me at 33?

Seriously, OP, there are people on here in their 50s who have done fine losing. The problem is we burn less as we age, so finding that deficit becomes a little tougher.
  • nurumirarashid
    nurumirarashid Posts: 6 Member
    Oh talking bout joints, lately I've been doing a little dance on my own , following in youtube , im sweating but later my foot a little bit in pain. Am i doing it the wrong way?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    No :| Especially if you're trying to lose weight the right way.
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    I thought this way when I hit 25, but then I realized it was ME and my lack of tracking, and not my age.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Oh talking bout joints, lately I've been doing a little dance on my own , following in youtube , im sweating but later my foot a little bit in pain. Am i doing it the wrong way?

Sounds like perhaps more an issue with form (ie - putting undue stress on foot joints) than age.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    24 is not a big number OP and you're still young. Issue is usually some people become less active as they age.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    24? Are you serious?
  • Snarl_Tooth
    Snarl_Tooth Posts: 7 Member
    24?
    24?
    TWENTYFOUR????
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Come on. Seriously? You can rest easy for another couple of decades.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    24? Are you serious?

Sheesh!
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    24 is old? What does that make me at 33?

Seriously, OP, there are people on here in their 50s who have done fine losing. The problem is we burn less as we age, so finding that deficit becomes a little tougher.

Really, in their 50s??? Shouldn't they just be resting in their rocking chairs at that age? ;)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Only if you make excuses...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    No. Not till 25.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    lol@24
  • kaitcxlv
    kaitcxlv Posts: 9 Member
    Actually, a persons basal metabolic rate (The energy used for your bodies basic functions) decreases 2-4% every ten years after the age of 20. Realistically for people in our age range its negligible, but it will add up eventually.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    lol 24 years old :trollface:
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    well, i think age in and of itself does not make for a difficult time losing weight, but what happens as we age is that we tend toward having more medial issues or taking more medications than when we were young and THOSE are the reasons for having a tough time with weight loss. and if you are truly 24 and you think you are "older" then you have a serious problem.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I think weight loss gets more difficult as your muscle mass decreases which tends to happen as we age and become less active in general. Congrats on not being in a nursing home at your advanced age though, you must be doing something right!