Reactions to veganism

Options

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    The one thing that annoys me about vegans (and it is also true of those doing restrictive or fad diets): They fail to acknowledge that that way of eating requires extra time that a lot of people do not have (as well as extra money, since I think I would have to start using a lot more protein powder in order to hit my 90-gram minimum). Everyone cares about the planet, everyone acknowledges that factory farms frequently fail on moral and ethical grounds, but not everyone is able to adopt such a stringent lifestyle.

But I'm acquainted with a woman who is a level five vegan (she doesn't even cast a shadow) and every time I'm at some place with her, I'm ready to eat someone's family pet by the time she gets through haranguing the host. She is insufferable. I can get on with most vegans, but she is special.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I still don't understand what is so ethical or moral about eating a vegan diet. If you don't want to eat meat, that's fine. It's the whole packaging to turn vegans into sooperspeshul people that makes it so obnoxious to so many other people. There's nothing special about it. Lots of animals die to feed vegans and veganism is an unsustainable diet on a global level.

You are somewhat wrong. You should check out how much food/fodder and water it takes and how much space is used to produce a pound of meat, you will be surprised !
    That food and water could go right to the end consumer and most likely will be the only way this planet can feed itself in the future. Maybe not in the near future, but with every couple of generations it will be more difficult to feed the planet, if most of the space is used to grow animal food and if we don't make major changes in our diets. And no, I am neither a vegan, nor a vegetarian.....

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    I still don't understand what is so ethical or moral about eating a vegan diet. If you don't want to eat meat, that's fine. It's the whole packaging to turn vegans into sooperspeshul people that makes it so obnoxious to so many other people. There's nothing special about it. Lots of animals die to feed vegans and veganism is an unsustainable diet on a global level.

You are somewhat wrong. You should check out how much food/fodder and water it takes and how much space is used to produce a pound of meat, you will be surprised !
    That food and water could go right to the end consumer and most likely will be the only way this planet can feed itself in the future. Maybe not in the near future, but with every couple of generations it will be more difficult to feed the planet, if most of the space is used to grow animal food and if we don't make major changes in our diets. And no, I am neither a vegan, nor a vegetarian.....

No, it's simply not sustainable. First of all, where would we get the fertilizer for all those plants? Much of our planet's land mass is not arable land. Food animals can graze on land that will not support plants grown for human consumption. I won't even go into all the objections that go with attempting to globalize veganism.

Another major issue I have with veganism is that it is NOT simply a dietary choice. Other people's dietary choices make no nevermind to me--clean eating? Have at it. Paleo--have a chop, on me. Keto? Not my cup of tea, but if you can get past the cruds, awesome. Veganism, at least "ethical" veganism is a poke in the eye at everyone else. "Ethical" vegans are not just casting judgment on other people, but they also attempt to force their beliefs on other people. They walk hand-in-hand with animal rights activists, who feel that animals are "not ours to own or use," not because they love animals, but because they want to control what other people have in their lives. Don't want to own animals? Fine. Don't want to eat meat? Your prerogative. Don't tell me what I can own or eat and don't try to make my life miserable for owning it or using it. IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, vegans and animal rights activists are unpleasant people who want to take away my dogs, my goats, and my favorite foods. They all need to get lives, so I can keep mine.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The most unsustainable thing right now is the exponential human population growth and consequent emission of greenhouse gases, which could very well cause an unpredictable shift in the global climate patterns. Humans require food, and all forms of food production creates waste, some more than others. Does veganism create more or less waste than simple plant agricultural practices? Is this really the greatest issue at hand?

Who is responsible for paying for large-scale changes and should growing economical entities (China) have the right of carbon emissions stripped away from them when 1st world countries (America) have been using it to the benefit of their people for decades? It is equally a human rights argument, and is intertwined with the political aspects of world economy and climate change. Countries like Australia rely on things such as the farming of beef for their economic prosperity. It is a violation of animal rights, for sure, but it is also a keystone aspect of economy.

It is an individual's decision whether they want to eat meat or not, and up to government's to deal with the backlash of farming on future generations and less fortunate societies (who will be most affected by climate change). We can only be aware of what is happening, make intelligent decisions which will benefit more than what is in our own safe little bubble and be ready to adapt to changes if/when they happen.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Another major issue I have with veganism is that it is NOT simply a dietary choice.... Veganism, at least "ethical" veganism is a poke in the eye at everyone else. "Ethical" vegans are not just casting judgment on other people, but they also attempt to force their beliefs on other people.

I wouldn't say that's been my experience, actually. Most ethical vegans I know of are making their own judgement of what they think is ethical, and follow that path. That's no different than every other person out there. We all act on our beliefs, you know?

But I would say that ethical veganism is a dietary choice that simply ALSO attracts some people who feel that they should decide what's right for themselves AND for others. I've seen this behavior in feminists, and homeschoolers, fundamentalist Christians, and so on. And it's always the same thing: a loud minority can often end up giving the wrong impression of an entire group, as though they are the elected spokesperson for the group, when in actuality they are simply the ones with the loudest soapbox.

That said, I'm not a vegan, although I have many vegan friends so I've got to hear some really oddball things that get said to them.

However, the confusing/annoying comment for me, from a few vegans over the last few years...

Sometimes, a vegan discussion will pop up on what it means if you would die if you had to eat a vegan diet. Usually, most vegans will say that yeah, if you would die otherwise, then eating meat would what you'd have to do.

The thing is, I am that rare person who would quite literally die on a vegan diet. I've got so many food allergies (due to a disorder, unfortunately) that I have to eat meat to get enough protein and iron. I nearly DID die before we found meat sources I could eat (I'm even allergic to most types of meat). And when this comes up, the response is almost always: you just think you'd die. You could eat vegan if you really wanted to.

usually I just shake my head and let it go, but a couple times, I actually challenged this and showed them the diet I have. They looked it over, agreed that it wasn't enough to live on without meat, and then still continued to say, 'but I'm sure that you could still eat vegan if you really wanted to.'

Like this massive disconnect with reality when they were confronted with the theoretical situation they had paid lip service to accepting. Really odd.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    The most common response I got was a shake of the head and the "I could never do that."
    It's surprising just how passionate people can get about other peoples choices!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »

I totally agree - it's as though a person making their own choices somehow becomes a commentary on other people's choices if it's too different from them. As though we can't all make our own choices, based on our own beliefs and needs.

You feel like you wanna be cheesy and say 'can't we all just get along.' ^_^
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    It would be wonderful if vegans could just leave other people alone; however, there have been many legal assaults on farmers and ranchers who provide meat and dairy to people over the recent years, many of which are led by animal right activists--the vast majority of whom are vegans--that endeavor to make meat and dairy less accessible and more expensive. The California egg producers have been greatly impacted by laws that require housing for chickens that makes very little difference in the lives of the chickens, but which reduces the number of eggs produced by the farmers, which raises the price of eggs for everyone. Worse, the producers outside the state that sell eggs in California are also required to have these same standards for their eggs, which means that Californians have no recourse that will make eggs less expensive to them, other than raising their own chickens. (Try *that* in San Francisco or Los Angeles! LOL) If vegans and their cohorts would just make their own decisions affecting themselves and NOT impose their "ethics" on other people, that would be fine. If it were JUST another way of eating, I would not care a bit. It's not. It affects everyone around them. Eat your own food, just keep your "ethics" to yourself and leave the rest of us to enjoy what we will.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The only time I care about a person's veganism is when they get all uppity/holier-than-thou/pompous about how they're so much more awesome than anyone else because they live on plants.

Yep
  • MochiCupcake
    MochiCupcake Posts: 17 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So I have have been ill all my life with various health issues.
    However since becoming vegan (only for the last couple of months), my dad said the other day 'you're ill because you're vegan'...what about the last 1000 times I was ill?
    My parents are really not very supportive of my decision. Especially my dad, which is ironic as he keeps telling me I'm probably not getting the right nutrients, when his diet is completely awful.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This isn't a response to the OP. Just need to get it off of my chest. Wifey and I just did five days of eating vegan to kick-start the ol' weight loss mobile. I hated it. So much. Like so much I can't even describe it. I wouldn't wish veganism on my worst enemy. If it works for you and you like it, then I'm happy for you. I couldn't get enough protein to save my life and that included eating *kitten* meatless products and quite a bit of vegan protein powder, which, by the way, tastes like *kitten* and makes whey protein powder taste like effing gold. There are some vegan recipes that I like, such as certain soups or PF Chang's style lettuce wraps (sub mushrooms and tofu for the chicken), but being that limited in terms of dairy (which is in so many things) and meat (meaning I couldn't just eat some goddamn chicken or fish for protein) made me want to slay everything I saw, including babies, the elderly, homeless and people committing random acts of kindness. I will never, ever in a million years eat vegan for more than one meal ever in my life or any others.
    I think I love you.
  • sbtnicky
    sbtnicky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    The thing is, I am that rare person who would quite literally die on a vegan diet. I've got so many food allergies (due to a disorder, unfortunately) that I have to eat meat to get enough protein and iron. I nearly DID die before we found meat sources I could eat (I'm even allergic to most types of meat). And when this comes up, the response is almost always: you just think you'd die. You could eat vegan if you really wanted to.

This has been my experience as well. In my case it's due to a combination of metabolic factors that are only barely managed even with a standard diet, supplements, and strict monitoring. My vegan/strict-vegetarian friends have seen me struggle with meeting all my nutritional needs, but they continue to insist I could be vegan if I wanted (often with a side of "you'd feel so much better!"). What they don't know is that I was lacto-ovo vegetarian for most of my teens and ended up having to stop due to not being able to maintain a minimum standard of health. I was working with a vegetarian nutritionist and vegetarian-friendly physician, but my body simply cannot sustain itself on a diet that does not include meat. Trust me, I wish it could. It'd make keeping kosher so much easier.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

No, it's simply not sustainable. First of all, where would we get the fertilizer for all those plants? Much of our planet's land mass is not arable land. Food animals can graze on land that will not support plants grown for human consumption. I won't even go into all the objections that go with attempting to globalize veganism.

Another major issue I have with veganism is that it is NOT simply a dietary choice. Other people's dietary choices make no nevermind to me--clean eating? Have at it. Paleo--have a chop, on me. Keto? Not my cup of tea, but if you can get past the cruds, awesome. Veganism, at least "ethical" veganism is a poke in the eye at everyone else. "Ethical" vegans are not just casting judgment on other people, but they also attempt to force their beliefs on other people. They walk hand-in-hand with animal rights activists, who feel that animals are "not ours to own or use," not because they love animals, but because they want to control what other people have in their lives. Don't want to own animals? Fine. Don't want to eat meat? Your prerogative. Don't tell me what I can own or eat and don't try to make my life miserable for owning it or using it. IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, vegans and animal rights activists are unpleasant people who want to take away my dogs, my goats, and my favorite foods. They all need to get lives, so I can keep mine.

Yeah, that's just your personal experience. In my experience, the vegans I know believe that people of good conscience can have different opinions on the matter of animals.

• PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

By the same reason people referring to themselves as Christians impose their morality on others, claiming that they are somehow "saved". Right?

This kind of post adds nothing, and will get this thread shut down.

No, he actually had a point.

His point was that simply having a moral framework for yourself does not mean that you are judging other people by it.

It was in the words "impose their morality on others".

This all goes to show there are zealots in EVERYTHING. And, to a point that was raised earlier, I'm sorry, there are no-sugar, low-carb, and keto zealots too who believe that everybody NEEDS to eat that way, just as there are rational no-sugar, low-carb and keto eaters who simply say "hey, it works best for me, this is what I do".

Not all vegans are zealots as is being asserted in this thread. It's really quite simple.

• LoupGarouTFTs
    edited May 2015
    Options

By the same reason people referring to themselves as Christians impose their morality on others, claiming that they are somehow "saved". Right?

No, he actually had a point, but it was subtle.

His point was that simply having a moral framework for yourself does not mean that you are judging other people by it.

No, he was trying to derail the thread.

Yeah, that's just your personal experience. In my experience, the vegans I know believe that people of good conscience can have different opinions on the matter of animals.

I have never met such a vegan. Neither have the many dog breeders and fanciers or other animal producers of my acquaintance.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    The most common response I got was a shake of the head and the "I could never do that."

Yup.

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    In general, I respect people that live their convictions even when I don't share those convictions. If you believe something, your life should reflect that belief.

Obnoxious, self righteous and judgy people exist in all belief systems, including veganism. I don't like those people and avoid them as much as possible.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

No, he wasn't.

It was to the topic of assuming that someone's personal beliefs automatically mean they try to impose them on other people, which you seem to assume. It went directly to what you said.

• LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

No, he wasn't.

It was to the topic of assuming that someone's personal beliefs automatically mean they try to impose them on other people, which you seem to assume. It went directly to what you said.

Yes, he was. It was the beginning of an anti-Christian rant, prompted by my choice of avatar. If he was not trying to derail the thread, which this discussion is threatening to do, it was a personal attack on me, outside the topic of the thread. Either way, it's unacceptable behavior.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    It would be wonderful if vegans could just leave other people alone; however, there have been many legal assaults on farmers and ranchers who provide meat and dairy to people over the recent years, many of which are led by animal right activists--the vast majority of whom are vegans--that endeavor to make meat and dairy less accessible and more expensive. The California egg producers have been greatly impacted by laws that require housing for chickens that makes very little difference in the lives of the chickens, but which reduces the number of eggs produced by the farmers, which raises the price of eggs for everyone. Worse, the producers outside the state that sell eggs in California are also required to have these same standards for their eggs, which means that Californians have no recourse that will make eggs less expensive to them, other than raising their own chickens. (Try *that* in San Francisco or Los Angeles! LOL) If vegans and their cohorts would just make their own decisions affecting themselves and NOT impose their "ethics" on other people, that would be fine. If it were JUST another way of eating, I would not care a bit. It's not. It affects everyone around them. Eat your own food, just keep your "ethics" to yourself and leave the rest of us to enjoy what we will.

Do you automatically assume that all members of a religious group are just like the extremists who do horrible things?

Because this is the type of thinking you exhibit in your posts with regard to vegans.