Is it true, when we get older it is hard to loss weight ?

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Man I remember when I was 24... My oldest daughter turned 1 that year. That was 10 years ago.

I'm going to go strap on my Depends and wave my cane at kids from my porch.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Before everyone mocks OP for feeling old at 24... And yes, I understand the temptation.

But we were all 24 once. And something that often happens around that age is the transition from being a student to working full time.

This isn't universally true, of course. But that transition to a desk job can be really brutal for some people, weight-wise. You keep eating the way you used to eat (or maybe you're eating more, 'cause you actually have an income now) and yet, you're moving a lot less by sitting at a desk all day. That can lead to weight gain in a lot of cases.

CICO still applies. It's just that the CO part of the equation may have gotten lower, so you need to make up for it. You may need to start adding more deliberate exercise into your day, if this is the case for you. Make an effort to commute in an active way -- walking, biking, public transit -- if possible. Go for walks at lunchtime. Join a gym if you haven't already and add some cardio and strength training to your routine.

Good luck!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Studies are still out on the effects of age on metabolic rate. It is still suggested that there is a decrease in MR with aging, but there are so many other factors to sort through it still is NOT clear if it is age - contributing factors cited are overall decrease in TDEE (sedentary jobs, less active lifestyle, etc), decreased metabolic efficiency from up and down weight dieting, apt to less portion control, etc.

While all those are true, you know what I've found that makes losing weight easier at 52 than it did when I was younger?

A better knowledge of myself, better ability to sniff out bs, and better ability to focus on things that don't give instant gratification.

Weight loss is unquestionably slower losing weight at this age, but I don't really care about that. My head's more in the game, and I find that trumps all the other factors.

• dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No :| Especially if you're trying to lose weight the right way.

GREAT answer!! :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,590 Member
    Options
    Not sure. I had no problem losing weight. I'm 41, but I have a good set of muscles that keep my metabolism going and that need a fair amount of calories. Hey, based on age, length, gender and weight my maintenance calories should be below 1600. I'm currently eating 1900kcal and am still losing weight slightly. Cool!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Nope, just as easy as when i was 18...
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I hope not.
    My theory is that it just appears this way due to lifestyle factors: stress, lack of sleep, or higher levels of inactivity.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Easier for me at 40 than losing pregnancy weight at 26. Mentally it's a lot easier as I know myself better and have clearer goals.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    24 is not older. Neither is 34. I'd be pretty happy with 44 or even 54. But I'm 61. And losing weight is definitely harder now than it was ten, twenty, or forty years ago. Still, I've lost about 45 pounds so far and I'm down to about 13% body fat. I'm going to lose a bit more fat and then start bulking, adding muscle where fat used to be.

It doesn't matter how old you are. You still have only one body to work with, and you'll either reap the rewards or pay the penalty for getting in shape or deciding it's all just too much effort. It may get tougher as we age, but the commitment to improve is within our power, no matter the years.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    The reason you will find it harder is lifestyle

Your activity rate is lower than when you were a teen

Fix that

This is absolutely, 100 percent not true as a blanket statement. I am 55 and my activity level is about the same. I started hiking, backpacking, kayaking and cross-country skiing in my 30s and 40s. Never did any of that as a teen. Did other things as a teen that I don't do now (dancing, among others), so I believe it evens out.

It is TRUE that is becomes harder to lose as you get older...but usually not until after 45-50!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I am having the best success of my dieting life right now at 51. I have lost 34 pounds (24 with MFP) since early January. I once lost 38 pounds on Jenny Craig when I was 28 but it took me close to 9 months to do it. I was expecting a hellish time because now I am "older" but it has been simpler and easier than it has ever been, even with perimenopause making its presence known. Now, maybe I have a tapeworm or some dread disease but all I know is that I have been consistently losing weight. I am not feeling miserable, deprived or discouraged. This is NOT normal, I say! NOT normal. So I guess the answer is It Depends. OP, you are 24. I assume you mean that you are deciding to get a grip on your weight now when you are young and your skin will bounce back better than wait until you are crepey and there's so much going on in your life you can never focus on you. If that is the case, go on with your bad self and do it now. If you think YOU are now "older" then I am feeling very inclined to snarl at you. YOU are only old to a 12 year old.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I don't know. I am having the best success of my dieting life right now at 51. I have lost 34 pounds (24 with MFP) since early January. I once lost 38 pounds on Jenny Craig when I was 28 but it took me close to 9 months to do it. I was expecting a hellish time because now I am "older" but it has been simpler and easier than it has ever been, even with perimenopause making its presence known. Now, maybe I have a tapeworm or some dread disease but all I know is that I have been consistently losing weight. I am not feeling miserable, deprived or discouraged. This is NOT normal, I say! NOT normal. So I guess the answer is It Depends. OP, you are 24. I assume you mean that you are deciding to get a grip on your weight now when you are young and your skin will bounce back better than wait until you are crepey and there's so much going on in your life you can never focus on you. If that is the case, go on with your bad self and do it now. If you think YOU are now "older" then I am feeling very inclined to snarl at you. YOU are only old to a 12 year old.

lol

918505_1345752440962_400_300.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,250 Member
    Options
    24 is a big number i guess

Are you 24 years old? And you're asking this question?

When they say that it is harder to lose weight when you get older, they are generally referring to a time when you're in your 70s or 80s or 90s and start to lose some of your mobility. Not when you hit 24!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Come on. Seriously? You can rest easy for another couple of decades.

This made me laugh!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Almost 46 here. .someone gimme a walker to hobble over to the scale; ) There are challenges that come with losing when older, but it's not impossible.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, lost 44 pounds the year before last, and have been maintaining for over a year now. It was difficult for me at all, and it is not difficult maintaining. I made it a habit to weigh food, log food and exercise calories, I use a heart rate monitor to guesstimate burns (this has been more accurate for me than any other source), and I try to stay on track. When I do overdo food, I don't beat myself up, and I have learned to love myself no matter what.

This is the first time in my life that I have been within a healthy weight range (The last 15 years, I was overweight, before that I was obese), and maintained the same weight range for this long (before it was a yo-yo of ten to twenty pounds and NO that was not natural fluctuation).

I must say I'm pretty darned proud of myself for losing all of my weight in my 50's. I don't ever want to find that weight again because I feel fantastic!
  • wolfeboro
    wolfeboro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is all pretty funny. All the talk about being old in peoples' late 20s. Ha! I'm 62 and in a weight loss/fitness program using My Fitness Pal as the daily food tracker. I am steadily losing 1 pound per week. I have lost 16 vs a goal of 30 lbs. I can go for long, tough bike rides on my new road bike or my mountain bike. I can work on an elliptical for 40-50 minutes with my heartbeat in the 160 to 170 range. Then lift weights, something I am working on to bump weight and reps. I do Pilates (a BIG help) 2x per week. I skied hard and fast this winter on new race skis. oh, did I mention I have a hip replacement from 2 years ago? So DON'T WHINE about slower metabolism or getting older. Those are just excuses. I know, I've been there. Just do the work and eat the right amounts and nutrients and do it all consistently. Be determined, be disciplined, be proud, and be real!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and I lost 24% of my original body weight just fine. No excuses!
  • othernanny
    othernanny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    24, Seriously. I am 63 this year and have managed to lose over 30 kilos in the last 18 months by exercising and changing my eating habits and logging everything. I ate for comfort after my husband died but realised that I still had a lot of life to live. 24 IS NOT OLD.
  • wyceta
    wyceta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I remember struggling to lose weight when I was younger. Now at 41 yrs old I am losing weight at a steady pace. After 10 weeks doing FocusT25, I lost 18 lbs. Quick, hard workouts! Also, I aim to eat more fresh veggies, protein, and drink lots of water! Age is NOT an excuse. Get your eating habits together and workout. That works for any age!