Half Marathon - Race Day experience, tips, etc.

Options
13»

Replies

• hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Some great advice here,

I'm doing my first haf-marathon in September so this has been really useful!!

Well done to those who have completed a half or full marathon, I can't wait to say I've done it!!
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Pre-race, turn up early. You'll be surprised how quickly you run out of time, searching for your bag-drop area, queuing for toilets etc and wham! Suddenly you realize that everyone has now headed for the start!

If they do sections, for example, 1h45 section, 2hr section, 2h15 section etc, be realistic with your expectations and go in the correct group.

Dont set off too fast! Very easy to get drawn into other peoples pace, don't do it.

My recent HM (2 weeks ago), each km was within just a few seconds of each other either side. EXCEPT! where i water stopped. Although i kept moving, the water stop actually added another 20 seconds. So only take on water if you really need to. (i wish they'd hand plastic cups instead of bottles, everyone takes a few sips and throws it anyway). Dont gulp, take a few sips. If u want to carry it with you for a bit, when you take the bottle, empty half of it on the floor as you run, rather than carrying a full bottle.

When you get rid of the bottle, have some thought for others around you, and respect for the streets your on. Hold it until you pass a bin (they're usually not far from the water station).

Have fun!
  • CCGwald
    CCGwald Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice is HAVE FUN !!!!. You only get to have your FIRST TIME once, enjoy every aspect of the new experience. In my opinion the last thing to worry about is that your pace is too slow. With all the adrenaline pumping TOO SLOW will be almost IMPOSSIBLE, especially early on in your first.

Enjoy every stride and good luck.
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    OP- Yay for a first half! You'll either love it or hate it and if you're anything like me, will be signing up for another as soon as you finish. I just completed my third half this past Sunday...avi is me at the starting line before everyone corralled.

Some tips:
    1) Pee. Even if you don't think you have to, go to the bathroom. Utilize those port-o-pottys. You don't want to have to stop at one partway through your run. It'll kill your time, plus do you really want to potentially use a bathroom that thousands of other runners will pass and some use? Gross.

2) Gradually carb load. Don't eat a box of pasta the night before and call it a day. It'll sit heavy and you don't want to have that full feeling all morning during your run. Slightly increase your carb intake over the 3 days prior to your run. If you're going to do pasta the night before, avoid tomato sauce...nobody likes running with heartburn.

3) Don't sweat the technique! If you have a particular way you like to tie your shoes, wear your running band or prefer running in shorts v capris v long pants...stick to your routine. Don't think 13.1 is the day to try out Gu if you've never had it before.

4) STRETCH. Before AND after. Once you get your medal, take an epic selfie and smash a banana, be sure to stretch it out.

5) Check the weather. My run on Sunday ended up having rain for about 1/3 of it, and about 86% humidity the whole time. That factored in to how much water I needed. There were quite a few people who didn't take that into account and either dropped out, cramped up, or needed medical assistance. Nothing is more disheartening than training for months to only have it all go to waste by being ill-prepared for the weather.

6) Water! Everyone is different. You've been listening to your bodys water needs over the last few months of training and progressive long runs building up to this half. I have seen people run with a Camelbak and people run with nothing. Last year I had a water belt but ended up finding it too heavy and cumbersome, it slowed me down too much. This year I learned to run with a handheld water bottle (Nathans has some great ones) but I also utilized the water stops because of the humidity issues. If you can run and drink water at the same time, awesome. I personally epic fail at that, plus cups all over the place just equate to me slipping and falling, so I normally walk water stops when I use them.

7) Listen to your body. You're surrounded by thousands of other people and they all have the same thoughts as you...I'm going to finish this and this is the goal time I have in mind. There is a lot of cheering and people who will zoom past you so it's easy to get caught up in the hype. Just remember it's 13.1, not 1.1...keep to your pace. I made THAT mistake my first half marathon and that was a hard lesson to learn by mile 11.

8) I hope you've been running outside. Look at your course map and pay attention to elevation changes and potential road condition changes. Is it all street running or is part of it on gravel or dirt? Is there a huge hill towards the end that you'll have to conquer? Don't leave room for any surprises on race day.

9) Chafing is lame. Body Glide is your friend. Avoid blisters and invest in a stick, you'll be thankful when you don't have blisters forming on mile 7.

10) Eat something the morning of. My routine is a piece of Ezekial bread, Trader Joes natural peanut butter, and a banana. That holds me over until I have a Gu around mile 8-9. Those carbs you ate the night before won't keep you going all morning.

11) Have FUN! Take pictures before, after. Talk to other runners. It's a great community to be a part of and just keep in mind, whether you're first or last, you're a half marathoner. And that's pretty friggin awesome.
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon last fall. Finished in just under 2 hours and 10 minutes and felt great.

I didn't do anything new. I ate/drank the same things the morning of the race that I'd eated prior to my weekly long runs. I trained with a fuel belt and practiced hydrating/fueling on my long runs. I ran with some water but DID WALK through all the water stations. I didn't have any issues with cramping.

If there are pacing groups and you have some idea of how fast you'd like to finish, pick one and go for it. They are usually led by seasoned runners who are familiar with the course and will actually pace you so that you don't gas out in the later miles.

Otherwise everything is like any other race. Make sure to have all your gear together, music ready, sunglasses, flip flops and dry clothes for after and hit the porta-poo.

Congrats and Good Luck!!....oh and if you have someone going to watch, know where they'll be so you can look for them. It's amazing how seeing a familiar face cheering you on can help!!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Personally my biggest race day tip: Get in line for the port-o-potty, do your business and then HOP BACK IN LINE AGAIN. Cycle through twice, maybe even three times if you have a nervous bladder/GI tract like I do.

Other tip: have fun and try not to psych yourself out :)

Best advise ever!

I also suggest body glide (I use this to fight chaffing). Some others like Vaseline but I like body glide.

Enjoy the race it is a really great experience. Oh and smile there are cameras everywhere.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is the last post I will put in here. This is for Davpul and glevinso. The EXACT definition of FARTLEK is as follows coming right from the website and I quote EXACTLY: "Fartlek is described as a simple form of LONG distance running". Fartlek training is "simple defined periods of fast running intermixed with periods of slow running". "For some people, this could be a mixture of jogging and sprinting but for BEGINNERS it could be walking with jogging sections added in when possible". End quote. UNDERSTAND now glevinso and Davpul? Hope this was clear enough English for you in case I maybe wrote it in another language.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    oilphins wrote: »
    This is the last post I will put in here. This is for Davpul and glevinso. The EXACT definition of FARTLEK is as follows coming right from the website and I quote EXACTLY: "Fartlek is described as a simple form of LONG distance running". Fartlek training is "simple defined periods of fast running intermixed with periods of slow running". "For some people, this could be a mixture of jogging and sprinting but for BEGINNERS it could be walking with jogging sections added in when possible". End quote. UNDERSTAND now glevinso and Davpul? Hope this was clear enough English for you in case I maybe wrote it in another language.

What website. You fail to provide the link.

Regardless, your description of a fartlek as a race strategy is still entirely incorrect. I can't stress this enough that a fartlek workout is first and foremost a SPEED workout. One that is described as you quoted above. It is NOT, let me repeat NOT a race strategy for any distance. Just because Gallowalking is similar in description (run some, walk some) does NOT make it "fartlek" in nature. Simply put, you are wrong.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bring some spare toilet paper just in case the portaloos have run out.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ok glevinso I'm done with this childish posting back and forth. Im not even checking back to see if you've responded because its so pointless and a waste of time. You win and your right. Now please don't lose anymore sleep over it. ( lol) Sorry Kirk about all this ridiculous banter. Just make sure you do what's comfortable for you and don't be nervous. Just pretend its a regular run. But I will tell you one thing about marathons, when you have people clapping and cheering you on, it sure helps with your motivation and could help you, especially near the end of the race. Good luck bud.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by childish. You are the one attempting to redefine terms. I am glad to know you won't actually see this response though, since of course you are not looking at this thread anymore.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok glevinso I'm done with this childish posting back and forth. Im not even checking back to see if you've responded because its so pointless and a waste of time. You win and your right. Now please don't lose anymore sleep over it. ( lol) Sorry Kirk about all this ridiculous banter. Just make sure you do what's comfortable for you and don't be nervous. Just pretend its a regular run. But I will tell you one thing about marathons, when you have people clapping and cheering you on, it sure helps with your motivation and could help you, especially near the end of the race. Good luck bud.

I thought you said the post before this was your last? And lol. You are so checking back. *waves to you*

And TIL that posting things back and forth about a subject isn't a discussion, but childish. :indifferent:

ETA: He got the definition of Fartlek from dictionary.com. Fartlek is basically a type of HIIT but from my understanding, it's more a conditioning exercise that may be used to help with long distance running, but not something to do as a long distance running program.

Galloway is an actual program with intervals for long distance running.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

I thought you said the post before this was your last? And lol. You are so checking back. *waves to you*

And TIL that posting things back and forth about a subject isn't a discussion, but childish. :indifferent:

Apparently the phrase "last post" means a completely different thing than I thought it did. Between this and fartlekgate, I guess I don't even English.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

gifmadmaxhavefunstormingthecastle.gif
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Ok glevinso I'm done with this childish posting back and forth.

You fartlek folks might think about starting your own thread for you to argue in.

• akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Everyone here doesn't seem to get my point. I'm not telling kirkland to sprint really fast and then stop. Then sprint and stop. That would be absolutely ridiculous for a marathon. I'm trying to explain that he doesn't need to run the whole way if its too much for him. That he can jog or run at a comfortable or faster level and then stop if he has to walk a bit. If your cardios not up to speed, then you need to take that break. Capt Apollo, you are right about the technical term about fartlek but I meant to tell Kirkland basically that if he needs to stop or slow down he can if its too much for him. And glevinso, you actually googled everything about fartlek just to get a point across?You obviously didnt understand what I was trying to tell him either.

LOL.
    To be fair, what you were trying to tell him got a little confusing when you used a term that didn't apply to what you were trying to say.

Oh hey I'm a girl! Do I look like a boy in my pic? ;-)

Thanks for the pointers everyone!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    omg this thread was so amazing on so many levels.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

That definition is incorrect. Where did you get it? It should be reported and corrected to whatever website yo found it on. Somehow I very much doubt that it came from a running site. It sounds like the definition was made up by someone who does not run.

https://www.google.com/search?q=farkletk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=fartlek+run

Anyway, I just ran my first half a few weeks ago and it was fun. Just don't make any changes from your normal running routine and know your limits.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    Everyone here doesn't seem to get my point. I'm not telling kirkland to sprint really fast and then stop. Then sprint and stop. That would be absolutely ridiculous for a marathon. I'm trying to explain that he doesn't need to run the whole way if its too much for him. That he can jog or run at a comfortable or faster level and then stop if he has to walk a bit. If your cardios not up to speed, then you need to take that break. Capt Apollo, you are right about the technical term about fartlek but I meant to tell Kirkland basically that if he needs to stop or slow down he can if its too much for him. And glevinso, you actually googled everything about fartlek just to get a point across?You obviously didnt understand what I was trying to tell him either.

LOL.
    To be fair, what you were trying to tell him got a little confusing when you used a term that didn't apply to what you were trying to say.

Oh hey I'm a girl! Do I look like a boy in my pic? ;-)

Thanks for the pointers everyone!

Whoops! Sorry about that. I initially read the OP but responded to this awhile later. I was just went with the pronoun this poster used.
    You most certainly don't. :flowerforyou: