Sushi You will be the death of me

Options

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here gotten good at making sushi? I'd like to take a class but curious about others experiences. It seems like it should be so easy but I know sushi chefs spend years learning technique so I'm guessing it's not nearly as easy as it seems.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here gotten good at making sushi? I'd like to take a class but curious about others experiences. It seems like it should be so easy but I know sushi chefs spend years learning technique so I'm guessing it's not nearly as easy as it seems.

As I posted above, I learned how to make sushi from a 4 hour cooking class at a reputable cooking school. (The best part is that we got to eat all the rolls we made at the end of the class, there were about 15 tables of "chefs") The take home message was to know your local fish monger and get the freshest possible. The actual steps of putting the rolls together is not difficult at all once you have all of your ingredients prepped. You do need to use a special type of rice with specific method of prep (can't recall off the top of my head what it is called but any decent-sized Asian market would have it.) There are many youtube videos you can watch that are pretty informative too. I actually made a half dozen rolls for a dinner party about 6 months after the class and relied on the youtubes to refresh my memory on technique.

One thing that I learned the hard way is that if you make sushi for a buffet type dinner party, be sure to think about how you are going to keep the sushi cold for the duration. Sushi that has been left out and unchilled on a table for a few hours definitely needs to be discarded.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Love sushi. Have it once a week at least. Two hand rolls or an assortment box. Yum yum.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Actual sushi -- i.e. raw fish wrapped in seaweed and rice -- ranges roughly between 48 and 70 calories per piece. If you average that out, it's about 354 calories for 6 pieces. That's not too bad. It's the rolls and other stuff that get you, because of all the added avocado and sauces. A 6-piece dragon roll is about 507 calories and a rainbow roll is 489 calories, according to a couple of online calculators. If you eat "regular" sushi, you should be fine. Even better - sashimi, which comes without the rice.

Something like that. I love sushi, but I only eat the more traditional ones with just rice, fish and seaweed, either as maki or nigiri. I avoid all the rolls with the masses of ingredients, mayonnaise and stuff. Actually, when I was still losing weight I was on a lengthy business trip on which I had 8-10 nigiri, edamame and a miso soup as dinner every second evening or so - and it fitted into my calorie budget just fine.
  • snivilis
    snivilis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is it only the sushi that is high in calories or is the sashimi high too? I live in South Korea at the moment and here I eat just sashimi when I can afford it. Especially squid sashimi. Any idea about the calories of that?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    am I the only one that is not amused by sushi? I took a class on how to make various types of Sushi.

I'd never eaten it before.... probably should have tried it before taking a class on how to make it!

So at the end of the class we'd learned how to roll up a few types. I went to bite into one holding my chop sticks.. and almost fell over from the nasty smell of the seaweed wrap and soooo salty tasting (the teeny teeny bit that made it into my mouth). The inside is fine but not the wraps, least to me. SO not that impressed by Sushi but it's only because of the wrap. Definitely not into the soy wraps for other reasons.

It's awful fun to make though... :) It's so beautiful all the things you can add for color when rolling it up.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I took a 2 hour class through a local health store and making the sticky rice come up properly and learning the rolling method is really all their is to it. Adding the filling is simply placement.... I found rolling to be easy using a small bamboo mat and really quite fun and artistic. Yes I think you could easily learn it from online for friends and family... if you're looking to do it professionally I'd study up a bit more. I suppose it depends on how creative you are and how handy you are at the rolling part etc.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Friday (Which is TODAY!!!) is Sushi Day at my office :) Wooooo! I usually have 2 small rolls of cucumber Maki and one roll of avocado Maki. Sometimes a Miso or a seaweed salad as a starter. Since it is nothing more than a bit of rice, some cucumber and a small piece of avocado...I totally go for it every friday. God...now I'm hungry...
  • jean1796
    jean1796 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make my own at home and use quinoa to replace the rice
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yeah same here! If I need to watch my calories, I try to stick to sashimi mostly, and only those with rice plus tuna, salmon, egg, cucumber or avocado. Avoid 'spiced' or 'crispy' or anything with a ton of mayonaise. That makes a huge calorie difference!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options

It takes a little bit of practice but it's not really hard to do at all, and even your lumpy, misshapen practice pieces taste delicious :) The Whole Foods markets near me frequently has sashimi-grade salmon and tuna. It's enough time and work that I rarely bother making my own if it's only for me and DH, but it's pretty impressive for parties.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Gosh how I love sushi!!! However with its high carbs and it hidden High Calories It will kill me!! Does anyone else have this problem??

nothing is wrong with carbs and nothing is wrong with sushi. Check out how many calories spicy tuna rolls have /win.

Like any food, some types of sushi can be super bad. Is there fried shrimp, tempora, cream cheeese? Some sushi can be as bad as a cheeseburger. Stick to the basics, can't go wrong with nigiri (just the meat and rice) and I'm a big fan of spicy tuna roles.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have only had sushi once and I just got the veggie roll and a cucumber roll so it's only like 350-400 calories. Then again I only had 3 pieces of each.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Sushi is awesome. Just plan for it. And please lose the "high carbs" from your vocabulary.
    Understand that some of us on MFP are diabetic. So yeah, "high carbs" are something not all of us can handle.

You eat your way. Others will eat theirs. The last thing any of us need is food police.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Traditional sushi is pretty healthy, both filling and low calorie... It's just westernized versions make it very high calorie. Ex. Sauces on top that include mayonnaise, avocado and cream cheese, or fried stuff. Order plain fish or veggie roll and you'll be fine. There's always sashimi as well.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I usually go to all you can eat sushi every week. I do two hours of working out that day though. And I try to avoid the rice. I do eat some tempura (seriously, it is soo good! lol). I eat a lot of sashimi and salmon when I go.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »

It takes a little bit of practice but it's not really hard to do at all, and even your lumpy, misshapen practice pieces taste delicious :) The Whole Foods markets near me frequently has sashimi-grade salmon and tuna. It's enough time and work that I rarely bother making my own if it's only for me and DH, but it's pretty impressive for parties.

Yeah the whole foods by me has it as well. Frozen but still sashimi grade nonetheless. After I posted yesterday I looked up sushi making classes in my area. There are TONS. I found one that is a sushi and sake class and you get to eat all the rolls you make and try 3 different sake's. I think I might sign up.
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of sashimi I don't know why but I didn't like it. I do love the Philly roll and the California roll however my extreme weakness is the Shrimp Temp. one it gets me every time I am near one.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    I am not a fan of sashimi I don't know why but I didn't like it. I do love the Philly roll and the California roll however my extreme weakness is the Shrimp Temp. one it gets me every time I am near one.

Not a fan of raw fish maybe? My wife is the same way...she'll eat a california roll no problem but she won't even try anything close to raw.