Is fitbit worth it??

Options
I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy a fitbit. My phone has the capability to track steps like a pedometer but I can't keep it on me at my job so that doesn't really help me. I want a way to motivate myself to take those few extra steps everyday.

So MFP community, I need help! I know there are several models of fitbit so if you have experience with one (good or bad) let me know! Also what price did you pay for yours?? And if you had to buy one again would you??

Thanks in advance!!!!

Replies

• roymbstevens
    roymbstevens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey I have a Fitbit Charge HR and it is great, I use it for steps and HR when I exercise....However, if you only need it for steps then I recommend the Fitbit Flex as it is cheaper and really does do the job well for a step counter, you sync it it to your app and you can set step goals and also challenge others for more motivation.
    I literally just upgraded to the Charge HR and just sold my Flex otherwise I would of passed it on to you.
    Any more Questions just ask :smile:
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes it definitely is - I absolutely love mine! first i had the zip which is the very basic one, but now i have the charge HR. If you need it just for steps my recommendation would be the one, as that's more accurate than the flex (i believe) but does all the same things.

highly recommend
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I had a flex that broke a couple of weeks ago which was soooo sad!
    But I've now preordered the charge HR as I can not live without it!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Which model you choose is entirely a matter of personal preference. They all calculate your TDEE (aka your maintenance calories) and sync with MFP. And Fitbit challenges are great motivation.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have the zip as I just wanted to count steps. I really want the charge HR next.
  • MomChemist
    MomChemist Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing my Flex faithfully for 18 months, and I love it. I have upped the game a bit by connecting it to the Pact app on my phone, so I make a commitment to make 10,000 steps for a certain number of days each week. If I don't make the commitment, they charge me (you pick a penalty amount of $5-$20). However, if I do make my Pact the successful folks split the money (after the company takes a cut!). It's not a whole lot of money coming in, but keeping from paying each week is a GREAT motivator!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the phone steps anyway...mine regularly comes up 1000-2000 more than my Fitbit.

So, yeah, I think Fitbit is worth it.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My usband and I love ours and it really keeps us up and moving. the challenges are a great way to stay motivated.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Flex but replaced it with a Charge HR. Be warned about the Flex: there is a serious problem with charging. The unit does not fit into the charger very well and sometimes needs to be jammed or held in the charger to actually get a charge. I had two different units (the first one broke and was replaced gratis by Fitbit, they do have good customer service) and had this problem on both of them.

If you ONLY want a step counter, I'd consider a Fitbit One. Apparently they do a very good job with steps and they are much less expensive as they don't have all the bells and whistles. If you like bells and whistles (I do), the Charge HR is nice. If you like fancy toys (and don't kid yourself, any Fitbit is essentially a toy which may provide you with some motivation!), the Fitbit Surge is a full smartwatch (my husband has one and loves it).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What do you want from a Fitbit (or other tracker)?
    Do you just want to count steps? You can get a pedometer for $10 that does that just as well
    Do you want to link to MFP so it shows exercise calories earned? Do you want to track sleep? Do you want to get totals and averages and stuff? Do you want it to show heart rate and other more advanced info? Then yes, it would be worth it to you.

I have a Flex because I swim and do water aerobics and the Flex is the only model that can be worn in water. All of the other Fitbit models have to be taken off, even when showering. Personally, it is one of the best $95 I have ever spent. It showed me just how sedentary I have been and motivated me to get off my backside and move more. I like the cross-communication with MFP and believe that its calorie burn info is reasonably close. The more you wear it, the more accurate it will be because it will have lots of back data to work with. Yes, it is a glorified pedometer but if it gives you info that will be helpful to you, go for it.

ETA: never had any charging issues like the poster above me. YMMV
  • jennojenno
    jennojenno Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR. To be honest I think it's helped break my plateau of being stuck around 162 pounds for over a year.

It's encouraging, it makes me want to take at least 10k steps every day.
    It's reassuring to see that it can give an estimate of how many calories I burn every day, based upon my heart rate. And the dashboard lets me know, based upon my goals, how many calories I have left to eat for the day based upon the amount of calories I've burnt for that day (including exercise).

Right now I'm hovering around 157 pounds and my next goal is 150. Calorie counting works wonders, and combined with the Fitbit HR for more accurate calories burned, I feel much more in control and sure of what I need to do every day. So for me, it's totally been worth it.
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit Charge. I like the fact that it counts stairs too, in addition to steps. And I love the fact that it gives me exercise calories on MFP. That's what keeps me motivated to walk more.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I've been using my iPhone exclusively to track my steps for the past 9 months using the Breeze app after my FitBit One stopped working correctly. I have found that it works good if (1) you are only walking, running with it in your pocket is near impossible and (2) you keep it in your pocket, your phone will not track steps if you are holding it. I put my grocery shopping lists on my phone, so I lose all those steps while shopping.

Bottom line, if you just want a rough estimate, the phone works good.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit Flex, after 2 years the battery doesn't hold a great charge anymore and I have to plug it in 2-3 times a week. I did come across another tracker that, for only $30, I picked up. I'm waiting for it to arrive now but my sister in law loves it (she got one too). If the new one isn't great, I plan to return it and get the FitBit Charge so I won't have to wear a separate HRM when working out (currently use the Polar H7).
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit surge. It's the most expensive one I think, but with good reason. It's a huge motivator for me especially in the FitBit app challenges. I don't think I'd walk/move as much without it. Yes, I would buy it again.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Love my FitBit Charge HR and would buy it again in a pinch. Getting my 15 year old daughter the Zip or the One this summer.

I paid $119.99 (originally 149.99) because I received a 20% discount from FitBit due to a delay in their delivery schedule.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I use a Zip and love it. I can't wear anything on my wrist at work so the Zip works well. I'm only interested in steps taken during the day so the Zip was perfect for me. It's simple, syncs easily, works great and I really like the fitbit dashboard interface. I think it is a great way to be aware of your daily movement and I find myself really motivated to hit that 10K goal everyday. Find a model that meets your needs and go for it, fitbit or otherwise, you won't regret it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Great info all!! :smiley: I really appreciate all the sharing, I've been pondering all this myself. I'm in the water a lot so glad to see that mentioned... So great to see all the choices and how you all are using the activity trackers. Yes they are a toy/gadget but hey if it helps us move...and be motivated. I'm all for more toys in life!! ;)
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and well it hasn't left my wrist for 6 months (apart from charging). I may not do the 10,000 step a day due to a knee injury, but it does make me do a lot more than I used to. My phone has a step counter, but I don't have my phone on me all the time. I've got a groovy bracelet for mine as the original ripped. You won't ever see me without it. :)
  • nablackb
    nablackb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for all your feedback!!! I really appreciate it! For my everyday use a flex would probably be best for me but I was just nervous about dropping that kind of money because some of my friends seem to be totally against things that like for some reason when I asked their opinion but they don't have the same goals that I do. So again thanks!!!