PMS-Help, Ladies

Options

Replies

• HappyDance85
    HappyDance85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about this recently and she suggested some things I hadn't tried before. In addition to the usual 'limit salt and sugar', she suggested that for a week before AF I take a vitamin e supplement, naproxen, and not eat nuts. I was pretty much living on nut-based granola bars before this, which I cut out completely. I've followed this regiment for a couple months and it seems to have helped quite a bit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I keep these links on my profile page but I'm just going to throw them here too.

Menstrual cycle & fitness
    * http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html/
    * http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/what-really-causes-irregular-menstrual-cycles-in-female-athletes
    * http://www.optimumh.co.uk/influence-of-menstrual-cycle-on-strength-training-and-timing/
    * https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters

If you only read one, I would suggest the first. It's a research review article and talks about increased hunger vs energy expenditure and a bit about magnesium as well.
  • itsafatrose
    itsafatrose Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

If you only read one, I would suggest the first. It's a research review article and talks about increased hunger vs energy expenditure .

I will certainly check them all out. I appreciate all the helpful responses coming in!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I like this part

'Alternately, that may be a good time to include free meals or refeeds as discussed in A Guide to Flexible Dieting; rather than trying to fight the body’s tendencies (and losing control completely), finding ways to work with them may be better in terms of long-term results. '

Bulking during PMS week seems like a good plan... lol.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Count me in for uncontrollable eating 1 week prior also. I am not really craving sweets, but carbs galore. Bread, Pasta are my best friends. Exercise is also difficult. Dead legs, no Energy. I started experiencing this late 30's if I recall.
    I am pushing 48 and hope that menopause kicks in soon.
    I can deal with the cramps and bloat, but the week before is the worst. I've never tried magnesium, but gonna try too.
    Good Luck
  • itsafatrose
    Options
    Ive decided today to start forcing myself to log everything even when I PMS binge. So far Im 417 calories over and I still feel like I want to eat :(
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ive decided today to start forcing myself to log everything even when I PMS binge. So far Im 417 calories over and I still feel like I want to eat :(

I log up to my goal then just quick add calories, typically... but I log it all.
  • itsafatrose
    Options
    I tend to stop logging when Im over, which usually ends up with me disappearing for a few days while I pms binge, then I come back when it's over. Clearly not working!
  • Francl27
    Options
    In my experience, logging it doesn't make much of a difference either, lol. Usually I log everything to help me stop overeating, but that's just not happening when I'm so hungry. At least I guess I can see the damage.
  • itsafatrose
    Options
    That's about what I expect lol but it's worth a try.
  • Francl27
    Options
    So... It hit today. Badly. It's like I've been having the shakes all afternoon despite already being over my calories for the day. I had food every 2 hours this morning and a big pulled pork sandwich at lunch that didn't even make a dent in my hunger. So I just popped two magnesium pills (dose is 1 to 3, I figured I'd try 2). It's been 15 minutes, and I swear it's getting a bit better.

Crossing my finger that this actually works.
  • sperkins68
    sperkins68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, did you find yours got worse after your tubes were tie? Because mine did dr says my tubes tied wouldn't make it worse but I disagree. I was prescribed tranexamic for it and only take it during pms and it works good for me :)
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I used to have issues with this; I wasn't losing any weight til I figured it out.

One big mistake I was making was being really strict about eating when I wasn't PMSing, so I associated being fatigued with being hungry; then when I'd get PMSy I'd assume the tiredness was from not eating and I'd eat back all my calories.

Another issue was that my bad mood triggered emotional eating habits; I don't know, I still pig out... working on that one :) what I am doing now though is stocking up on craptons of fruits and veggies (baby carrots especially!); if those are around then I can make a healthy choice and eat til I'm bursting but only have eaten like 200 calories worth of strawberries.

And then my last mistake was not working out when I was fatigued; I do have to switch to less intense stuff like walking, or at least cut my runs short, but if I keep exercising through the fatigue it helps a lot.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    PMS is killing me. I've been counting calories for months with no progress. Every month I do well until about 10 days before my period starts, then PMS kicks in and all hell breaks loose. I feel like I'm starving all day every day, no matter how much I eat- I'll even eat until I make myself sick. I'm so tired that I can barely function, let alone exercise, to make matters worse. Once it finally ends I'll go back to counting calories and exercising successfully, only to undo any progress again the next month. I'm so frustrated and ready to give up. Has anyone else dealt with this?
    Do you have a glucometer? You should get one and check your blood sugar fasting (when you awake, before you eat/drink ANYTHING), and postrandial (2 hours after a meal...preferably dinner).
    If you are hungry all the time you may have insulin resistance (your cells are not responding to insulin and allowing sugar into them). This is a precurser to diabetes.
    Try tweaking your diet, making non-starchy veggies your main focus, and bringing into the meal protein and fats. Keep carbs low and slow (complex, and lots of fiber). Track fiber and increase to 35g/day minimum. Soluble fiber slows the release of sugar into your blood stream, insoluble fiber helps speed movement of food through the digestive tract. You want plenty of both, with each meal. Track sugar, try to keep it below 15g. Your fat intake will increase simply because your carb intake is reduced...eat avocado, coconut oil, ghee, nuts/seeds. Fat will end up being 40% or more of your calorie intake. Veggie intake should be about 1lb a day (454g).
    Walk, rest, LOG your food accurately...get a scale and weigh in grams.
    Bingeing or overeating is nothing to be ashamed of, rather, it's a signal that your hormones are out of balance!

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem (down to the decreased energy and shaky hands), but I don't let it interfere with my weight loss.

If you can make your focus be nutrient dense, volume high foods that should and will be more satiating than eating anything else. My boyfriend jokes I become a rabbit the week before my period, but if I'm going to eat every 1.5-2 hours, I'm going to make sure I can fit that in my calorie goal.

I'm not willing to blame it on PMS if I put on an lb or so the week before my period. Yeah, being a girl sucks and its an extra obstacle to weight loss, but I'm still the one making the decision to eat the foods I am.

To an extent, mind over matter. Or continue the same binge then diet cycle you're in; choice is yours.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    49ermama wrote: »
    Have you tried homeopathic remedies for PMS, I get some relief

Im about to try the magnesium supplements and I did have relief from some symptoms with vitamin b complex +12 in the past.

I take msgnesium for constipation. Does nothing for my pms binging.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    49ermama wrote: »
    Have you tried homeopathic remedies for PMS, I get some relief

Im about to try the magnesium supplements and I did have relief from some symptoms with vitamin b complex +12 in the past.

I take msgnesium for constipation. Does nothing for my pms binging.
    Magnesium supplement called CALM is fun to take, it tastes good. It would help with cramps if there is a deficiency in that mineral - which there often is. But yeah, bingeing is a different issue - been there!

• Francl27
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have the same problem (down to the decreased energy and shaky hands), but I don't let it interfere with my weight loss.

If you can make your focus be nutrient dense, volume high foods that should and will be more satiating than eating anything else. My boyfriend jokes I become a rabbit the week before my period, but if I'm going to eat every 1.5-2 hours, I'm going to make sure I can fit that in my calorie goal.

I'm not willing to blame it on PMS if I put on an lb or so the week before my period. Yeah, being a girl sucks and its an extra obstacle to weight loss, but I'm still the one making the decision to eat the foods I am.

To an extent, mind over matter. Or continue the same binge then diet cycle you're in; choice is yours.

BS. Those nutrient dense high volume food do NOTHING for me when I have that hormonal hunger. I could eat a pound of cauliflower with 8oz of chicken breast and still be starving.

I'm guessing you just haven't experienced what we have, or you wouldn't be saying all this. I used to think the way you do too... that it was excuses. Then everything changed when it started happening to me too. Now I know better than to judge people who experience things I have no idea about.

But I need to find some B 12 vitamins too!

• Justygirl77
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

BS. Those nutrient dense high volume food do NOTHING for me when I have that hormonal hunger. I could eat a pound of cauliflower with 8oz of chicken breast and still be starving.

I'm guessing you just haven't experienced what we have, or you wouldn't be saying all this. I used to think the way you do too... that it was excuses. Then everything changed when it started happening to me too. Now I know better than to judge people who experience things I have no idea about.

If you try to change your body in a single meal or a single day, it won't happen. Eating low carb high protein would be a change in your intake that would take your body a few days to adjust to. Also a few approaches are needed, like taking a walk to help normalize blood sugar, and getting plenty of rest to help normalize the dynamic that is causing the problems with hunger, energy and appetite.

What is the b12 for?

• Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

If you try to change your body in a single meal or a single day, it won't happen. Eating low carb high protein would be a change in your intake that would take your body a few days to adjust to. Also a few approaches are needed, like taking a walk to help normalize blood sugar, and getting plenty of rest to help normalize the dynamic that is causing the problems with hunger, energy and appetite.

What is the b12 for?

Again, it's not what we're talking about at all.