13»

Replies

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I have the same problem (down to the decreased energy and shaky hands), but I don't let it interfere with my weight loss.

If you can make your focus be nutrient dense, volume high foods that should and will be more satiating than eating anything else. My boyfriend jokes I become a rabbit the week before my period, but if I'm going to eat every 1.5-2 hours, I'm going to make sure I can fit that in my calorie goal.

I'm not willing to blame it on PMS if I put on an lb or so the week before my period. Yeah, being a girl sucks and its an extra obstacle to weight loss, but I'm still the one making the decision to eat the foods I am.

To an extent, mind over matter. Or continue the same binge then diet cycle you're in; choice is yours.

BS. Those nutrient dense high volume food do NOTHING for me when I have that hormonal hunger. I could eat a pound of cauliflower with 8oz of chicken breast and still be starving.

I'm guessing you just haven't experienced what we have, or you wouldn't be saying all this. I used to think the way you do too... that it was excuses. Then everything changed when it started happening to me too. Now I know better than to judge people who experience things I have no idea about.

But I need to find some B 12 vitamins too!

If you try to change your body in a single meal or a single day, it won't happen. Eating low carb high protein would be a change in your intake that would take your body a few days to adjust to. Also a few approaches are needed, like taking a walk to help normalize blood sugar, and getting plenty of rest to help normalize the dynamic that is causing the problems with hunger, energy and appetite.

What is the b12 for?

Again, it's not what we're talking about at all.

What's the "it" ?
    What's the "again"?
    Hormones, hunger, bingeing, food choices, and how to make it all go in the right direction so our appetites/hunger don't sabotage our desire for fit and comfortable bodies.

This issue with a large appetite was exactly where I was at last March. I was tracking my food, and I ate a lot of cals...3000+ was usual. I had to exercise it off of course. But that's stressful and doesn't always happen so my weight was on the rise and I was frustrated. March 20 was the start date for a new approach to eating/exercise....go look at my diary on the days starting then. The total calories dropped after 3 days and my appetite was totally under control, I could hardly believe it! My period normalized, and now - no drama surrounding my cycle at all, it normalized within these 2 months. I have not gone off my diet even once this whole time, I am eating normally.
  • Zowiesb
    Zowiesb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sounds odd but I heard milk helps with PMS but that might be an old wife's tale. Another thing is your body is going crazy with hormones which is messing with the chemical reactions in your body and might be messing with the leptin levels. As hard as it might sound try sticking to slow energy releasing foods when you get hungry and that might help the energy levels and also the hunger. Either way, I hope you find a way to beat this and continue with your journey to success!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have the same problem (down to the decreased energy and shaky hands), but I don't let it interfere with my weight loss.

If you can make your focus be nutrient dense, volume high foods that should and will be more satiating than eating anything else. My boyfriend jokes I become a rabbit the week before my period, but if I'm going to eat every 1.5-2 hours, I'm going to make sure I can fit that in my calorie goal.

I'm not willing to blame it on PMS if I put on an lb or so the week before my period. Yeah, being a girl sucks and its an extra obstacle to weight loss, but I'm still the one making the decision to eat the foods I am.

To an extent, mind over matter. Or continue the same binge then diet cycle you're in; choice is yours.

BS. Those nutrient dense high volume food do NOTHING for me when I have that hormonal hunger. I could eat a pound of cauliflower with 8oz of chicken breast and still be starving.

I'm guessing you just haven't experienced what we have, or you wouldn't be saying all this. I used to think the way you do too... that it was excuses. Then everything changed when it started happening to me too. Now I know better than to judge people who experience things I have no idea about.

But I need to find some B 12 vitamins too!

If you try to change your body in a single meal or a single day, it won't happen. Eating low carb high protein would be a change in your intake that would take your body a few days to adjust to. Also a few approaches are needed, like taking a walk to help normalize blood sugar, and getting plenty of rest to help normalize the dynamic that is causing the problems with hunger, energy and appetite.

What is the b12 for?

Again, it's not what we're talking about at all.

What's the "it" ?
    What's the "again"?
    Hormones, hunger, bingeing, food choices, and how to make it all go in the right direction so our appetites/hunger don't sabotage our desire for fit and comfortable bodies.

This issue with a large appetite was exactly where I was at last March. I was tracking my food, and I ate a lot of cals...3000+ was usual. I had to exercise it off of course. But that's stressful and doesn't always happen so my weight was on the rise and I was frustrated. March 20 was the start date for a new approach to eating/exercise....go look at my diary on the days starting then. The total calories dropped after 3 days and my appetite was totally under control, I could hardly believe it! My period normalized, and now - no drama surrounding my cycle at all, it normalized within these 2 months. I have not gone off my diet even once this whole time, I am eating normally.

I have no desire to go for a diet that I know I'll never be able to sustain permanently just to hope to avoid those 3 days a month when I'm ravenous. But thanks for the suggestion.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    YES. So much yes. Every month... I do great for 2-3 weeks, then I have a week of hell and undo all my progress. It actually happens when I ovulate now too, for a couple days, so I actually gained a pound last month... and well on track to gain a pound this month again. At this rate I'm terrified I'm going to gain all the weight back. I've lost 80 pounds, but been stuck 2-3 pounds from my goal for almost a year, when it started happening.

I always hope next month is going to be easier, and it never is. Like yesterday (I'm ovulating)... I wasn't satisfied until I had eaten 3300 calories... and my maintenance is 2200. It's completely heartbreaking for me... and I know it's going to happen again in a week or so, when PMS hits...

But I'm sorry, I'm not much help, I haven't found a way to make it go away. I've tried to fill up on high volume/low calorie foods but it doesn't seem to do anything. Complex carbs seem to help the most, but it only works for a couple hours until I'm starving again. Salmon *seemed* to help a little last time and I need to try again... and to try higher fat foods. I actually tried a bigger lunch today with more fat (38g - cheese, eggs, sausage) and it's been 3 hours and I'm not very hungry yet... so that might be worth trying again. Or maybe it's just because I ate so much yesterday that it's not as bad today. Who knows. My plan next time I see it coming is a 3 egg omelet with salmon and spinach...

I'll be watching this thread...
    Sounds like more than three days to me!
    Hope everything goes well for you.
    Have a nice day!

• Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes! I call them my "hungry days!" But I have been able to avoid undoing progress (with loss) by eating low calorie garbage. And A LOT of it. I get the fat free Pringles. 70 cal per serving, 5 servings in the can. I haven't eaten a can yet - but just knowing that I could is enough for me. I'll eat the Fiber One chocolate chip bars, skinny cow ice cream, you name it. If I crave it I eat it! Just a low calorie type. Yes, HORRIBLE nutrition. But it gets me through and when the hunger passes I'm always thrilled to go back to my normal ridiculously low 1200. :)