gained 6 pounds of muscle, lost 2 pounds fat....help with nutrition and fat loss...

I've been working with a personal trainer for 3 months now, lifting heavy 3x/week. We did measurements and calculations today...I'm still cubbies than I want to be, but I've gained 6 pounds of muscle, and lost 2 pounds of fat (according to the head trainer who did my calculations). My question is ...what can I do to lost more fat? I'm really getting discouraged. I am still in an 8-10 clothing size and will be covering up this summer at the lake if I can't get my weight under control. I've been eating 1200-1300 cals per day...I'm short, and would like to be wearing a size 6 again...any advice?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    How is he determining you gained six pounds of muscle while eating 1200 calories?
  • kalbo798
    kalbo798 Posts: 58 Member
    Sounds like your trainer is blowing smoke.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    What is your weight? how tall are you? I doubt you gained that much muscle at those calories, it was probably mostly water weight and you probably lost more fat than you think. How did they measure your body fat?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    As a female and eating 1200 calories, there is no way you gained 6lbs of muscle in 3 months
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    You have not gained 6 lbs of muscle at 1200 cals/day. If the numbers are skewed it has to be water retention.
  • avedaprincess
    avedaprincess Posts: 12 Member
    They take measurements and use those caliper things on various parts....then I guess there is a formula to apply?
  • avedaprincess
    I started with my fitness pal (again) so I've been tracking for 3 weeks now, perhaps? My arms are definitely more solid, but I'm still not that smaller on the bottom part (where I hold more weight...)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    wow 6lbs of muscle in 3 months, that is quite a feat for a woman even eating at a surplus lifting heavy...get a new trainer...new gym...whatever you need to get the truth.

I've been lifting for 2 years and in a deficit 18months of that 2 years...maintenance for 6 months..I might have gained 1lb of muscle while in maintenance from recomp...and I was eating 1800 a day getting in at least 110 grams of protein.
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    They take measurements and use those caliper things on various parts....then I guess there is a formula to apply?

Unless they really know what they're doing, the measurement could be off by at least a few percent.

Personally, I wouldn't trust someone else to measure my body fat with calipers, I would get a caliper for yourself and practice on your own body, it will be much more precise if you do it exactly the same every week. if you're not keen on that, then just use a tape measure and measure all your larger circumference areas.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Unless they really know what they're doing, the measurement could be off by at least a few percent.

Personally, I wouldn't trust someone else to measure my body fat with calipers, I would get a caliper for yourself and practice on your own body, it will be much more precise if you do it exactly the same every week. if you're not keen on that, then just use a tape measure and measure all your larger circumference areas.

calipers are not accurate in any way shape or form...if you want a true measure of bf% Dexa or bod pod and even those can be off due to hydration levels etc.
  • galgenstrick
    SezxyStef wrote: »

calipers are not accurate in any way shape or form...if you want a true measure of bf% Dexa or bod pod and even those can be off due to hydration levels etc.

They can be precise, and that's what matters.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited May 2015
    I've been working with a personal trainer for 3 months now, lifting heavy 3x/week. We did measurements and calculations today...I'm still cubbies than I want to be, but I've gained 6 pounds of muscle, and lost 2 pounds of fat (according to the head trainer who did my calculations). My question is ...what can I do to lost more fat? I'm really getting discouraged. I am still in an 8-10 clothing size and will be covering up this summer at the lake if I can't get my weight under control. I've been eating 1200-1300 cals per day...I'm short, and would like to be wearing a size 6 again...any advice?

With all due respect, there are several things in your post that don't quite make sense.
    Muscle gain is next to impossible when eating at a deficit......you can't make something out of nothing.
    And since you are exercising and working with a PT there also will be no newbie gains, which are minimal anyway.
    Even if you have gained some muscle, there is no way that it is six pounds in three month, because the hormonal make-up of women just makes this impossible. Unless you use steroids, which I can't imagine.
    It is also not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, because in order to lose fat you have to eat at a deficit and in order to gain muscle you have to eat at least at a slight increase. I think what is happening is that as you are losing fat your muscles become more visible. They are muscles you always had and not new ones.
    I don't quite understand what is wrong with a size 8-10 even for a short person ( I am under five feet myself ), but in order to lose fat you just have to keep eating at a deficit and exercise.
    On a personal note, I would probably have another trainer check my numbers again, because no matter if he is the head trainer or not, he is maybe just telling you stuff to impress you and keep you as a customer. Maybe you'd like to check with the weight lifting group here in MFP. Many of them are very knowledgeable when it comes to lifting and diet and I am sure they will tell you pretty much the same thing.
    Good Luck !
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    rofllll well if that trainer really is that good that he can make you gain 6 pounds of muscle in 3 months he must be stinking rich and loaded with customers.
    Every man would want to train with this trainer. He works miracles!
  • galgenstrick
    Ang108 wrote: »

With all due respect, there are several things in your post that don't quite make sense.
    Muscle gain is next to impossible when eating at a deficit......you can't make something out of nothing.
    And since you are exercising and working with a PT there also will be no newbie gains, which are minimal anyway.
    Even if you have gained some muscle, there is no way that it is six pounds in three month, because the hormonal make-up of women just makes this impossible.
    It is also not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, because in order to lose fat you have to eat at a deficit and in order to gain muscle you have to eat at least at a slight increase. I think what is happening is that as you are losing fat your muscles become more visible. They are muscles you always had and not new ones.
    I don't quite understand what is wrong with a size 8-10 even for a short person ( I am under five feet myself ), but in order to lose fat you just have to keep eating at a deficit and exercise.
    On a personal note, I would probably have another trainer check my numbers again, because no matter if he is the head trainer or not, he is maybe just telling you stuff to impress you and keep you as a customer. Maybe you'd like to check with the weight lifting group here in MFP. Many of them are very knowledgeable when it comes to lifting and diet and I am sure they will tell you pretty much the same thing.
    Good Luck !

It is definitely possible, but limited to individuals new to lifting.
  • avedaprincess
    Welp....now I'm even more confused and discouraged. I don't know what to do or think....should I see a nutritionist? Do the bod pod? Something is off with my weight and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...I went to my doctor earlier this year to see if I had thyroid problem, vitamin deficiency etc., but all tests came back perfect. I hired a trainer recommended by many people and $$$, and not getting results...I need help
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    When I started, at 163 pounds, my trainer used calipers to measure my body fat and told me I was either 16 or 19%. I am so glad I had these forums to come back to, even though I loved her and she helped me a lot-you have to do your own research and ask questions!
  • galgenstrick
    Welp....now I'm even more confused and discouraged. I don't know what to do or think....should I see a nutritionist? Do the bod pod? Something is off with my weight and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...I went to my doctor earlier this year to see if I had thyroid problem, vitamin deficiency etc., but all tests came back perfect. I hired a trainer recommended by many people and $$$, and not getting results...I need help

You just need to regroup. You probably made good progress and it's just masked by a little water retention.

Have you been measuring your weight every day at the same time (in the morning after using the bathroom)? Are you using other metrics like a tape measure or progress pictures?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015

its very simple
    In order to lose weight

Weigh every solid food you eat on a food scale and log it here.
    Eat around your calories allowance
    Thats all!!!!

when you dont lose weight you probably eat more than you think....most people say i am counting their food but they go by serving sizes on labels and cups and spoons...which is hihgly inaccurate so they still eat too much calories to lose weight.

So weigh your food on a food scale

And that is when you want to lose weight, so i dont say stop lifting because that is very good and you can eat some of the burned calories back on top of your calorie allowance..so win win situation.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    To lose scale weight you eat at a defecit

Weight training is excellent whilst you do it to preserve your LBM

You believe you're eating 1200 a day? How are you logging ..can you open your diary for help / advice because in 3 months you have gained 4lbs haven't you? And that is not muscle / fat like trainer is trying to convince you of

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I was in my gym recently and the trainers were advertising weight loss claiming it was 12lbs of pure fat...... All trainers are not = and some of them just speak rubbish.

If you arent losing then its most likely you need to tighten your logging. Care to open your diary? Are you weighing your food?