gained 6 pounds of muscle, lost 2 pounds fat....help with nutrition and fat loss...

Replies

• avedaprincess
    avedaprincess Posts: 12 Member
    Yes, I can open my diary for help
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Ang108 wrote: »
    I've been working with a personal trainer for 3 months now, lifting heavy 3x/week. We did measurements and calculations today...I'm still cubbies than I want to be, but I've gained 6 pounds of muscle, and lost 2 pounds of fat (according to the head trainer who did my calculations). My question is ...what can I do to lost more fat? I'm really getting discouraged. I am still in an 8-10 clothing size and will be covering up this summer at the lake if I can't get my weight under control. I've been eating 1200-1300 cals per day...I'm short, and would like to be wearing a size 6 again...any advice?

With all due respect, there are several things in your post that don't quite make sense.
    Muscle gain is next to impossible when eating at a deficit......you can't make something out of nothing.
    And since you are exercising and working with a PT there also will be no newbie gains, which are minimal anyway.
    Even if you have gained some muscle, there is no way that it is six pounds in three month, because the hormonal make-up of women just makes this impossible.
    It is also not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, because in order to lose fat you have to eat at a deficit and in order to gain muscle you have to eat at least at a slight increase. I think what is happening is that as you are losing fat your muscles become more visible. They are muscles you always had and not new ones.
    I don't quite understand what is wrong with a size 8-10 even for a short person ( I am under five feet myself ), but in order to lose fat you just have to keep eating at a deficit and exercise.
    On a personal note, I would probably have another trainer check my numbers again, because no matter if he is the head trainer or not, he is maybe just telling you stuff to impress you and keep you as a customer. Maybe you'd like to check with the weight lifting group here in MFP. Many of them are very knowledgeable when it comes to lifting and diet and I am sure they will tell you pretty much the same thing.
    Good Luck !

It is definitely possible, but limited to individuals new to lifting.

no it's not eating at her levels doing a little lifting (3 months worth)...using calipers to measure....please.

I am not sure where you are getting your information but you need to regroup and re-evaluate.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    i looked at it :)

And you really have to start weighing your food on a food scale
    ALL your food
    No measuring cups or spoons they are for liquids.

Also forget about serving sizes

I ate one serving of pizza crust 2 days ago which should be 180 calories for 57 gram...when i weighed it it was lots more than 57 gram so more calories

Have these kinda errors and it adds up...a lot!

look at this short video about the difference between weighing and using cups (hundreds of calories)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • SezxyStef
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    To lose scale weight you eat at a defecit

Weight training is excellent whilst you do it to preserve your LBM

You believe you're eating 1200 a day? How are you logging ..can you open your diary for help / advice because in 3 months you have gained 4lbs haven't you? And that is not muscle / fat like trainer is trying to convince you of

exactly that trainer is just trying to keep their money flowing in ....
  • avedaprincess
    I just sent friend requests to those who wanted to see my diary. I'm sure it can be improved so if that's the issue, then I'll fix it. I also saw a juice cleanse advertised at a juice bar here...3 days...thinking about doing that to feel better and reset..thoughts?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Opening your diary is a good idea. If you've been eating at that deficit for three months, you should have seen some results on the scale.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    not needed at all
    Your body is perfectly capable to clean itself

just create ( by accurate logging) a deficit and you will lose weight
    Slow or fast ( depends on the amount of how much you weigh now, medical issues, etc) But you will lose weight when you eat in deficit

So burn more than you eat
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I just sent friend requests to those who wanted to see my diary. I'm sure it can be improved so if that's the issue, then I'll fix it. I also saw a juice cleanse advertised at a juice bar here...3 days...thinking about doing that to feel better and reset..thoughts?

Juice cleanses are totally unnecessary. Just tighten up your logging and you should start to see some results.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    I've been working with a personal trainer for 3 months now, lifting heavy 3x/week. We did measurements and calculations today...I'm still cubbies than I want to be, but I've gained 6 pounds of muscle, and lost 2 pounds of fat (according to the head trainer who did my calculations). My question is ...what can I do to lost more fat? I'm really getting discouraged. I am still in an 8-10 clothing size and will be covering up this summer at the lake if I can't get my weight under control. I've been eating 1200-1300 cals per day...I'm short, and would like to be wearing a size 6 again...any advice?

With all due respect, there are several things in your post that don't quite make sense.
    Muscle gain is next to impossible when eating at a deficit......you can't make something out of nothing.
    And since you are exercising and working with a PT there also will be no newbie gains, which are minimal anyway.
    Even if you have gained some muscle, there is no way that it is six pounds in three month, because the hormonal make-up of women just makes this impossible.
    It is also not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, because in order to lose fat you have to eat at a deficit and in order to gain muscle you have to eat at least at a slight increase. I think what is happening is that as you are losing fat your muscles become more visible. They are muscles you always had and not new ones.
    I don't quite understand what is wrong with a size 8-10 even for a short person ( I am under five feet myself ), but in order to lose fat you just have to keep eating at a deficit and exercise.
    On a personal note, I would probably have another trainer check my numbers again, because no matter if he is the head trainer or not, he is maybe just telling you stuff to impress you and keep you as a customer. Maybe you'd like to check with the weight lifting group here in MFP. Many of them are very knowledgeable when it comes to lifting and diet and I am sure they will tell you pretty much the same thing.
    Good Luck !

You are right and if you read my post again you will find that my third sentence addresses newbie gains. I did not think it was necessary to repeat myself.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Good Luck !

no it's not eating at her levels doing a little lifting (3 months worth)...using calipers to measure....please.

I am not sure where you are getting your information but you need to regroup and re-evaluate.

Wow really? My comment was directed to the very general statement of "it's not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time", it is possible. I already said that OP likely didn't gain muscle, and especially with her diet and routine. Why are you twisting my words?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    damn...it took me almost 6 months to put on about 4 Lbs of muscle eating 3200 - 3500 calories per day...must be doing something way wrong.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    damn...it took me almost 6 months to put on about 4 Lbs of muscle eating 3200 - 3500 calories per day...must be doing something way wrong.

Y'arent trying hard enough ;)
  • SezxyStef

Good Luck !

Wow really? My comment was directed to the very general statement of "it's not possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time", it is possible. I already said that OP likely didn't gain muscle, and especially with her diet and routine. Why are you twisting my words?

How did I twist anything...you said calipers were precise...they are not.

If that comment was directed at the particular statement then make it more clear...as your statement was...it is possible...but limited to individuals new to lifting....which makes it sound like her scenario is plausible.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member

So it sounds like your primary goal is to lose weight and go down a couple of sizes, yet in three whole months the results you got were a GAIN of 4 pounds? First, I agree with everyone else...it is almost impossible that you gained 6 pounds of muscle in that time, so it is either mostly fat or water or some combination.

Have you been at 1200-1300 calories the entire time? Because if you have, I don't understand how you can possibly have gained weight. So you must be eating much more that you think you are, or you have a VERY slow metabolism and even if your logging is accurate you need to just eat less.
  • galgenstrick

Good Luck !

If that comment was directed at the particular statement then make it more clear...as your statement was...it is possible...but limited to individuals new to lifting....which makes it sound like her scenario is plausible.

Calipers are precise if used correctly. If you measure the same spots in the same way every week they will give you a mm reading which will show you if there is less fat on those spots or not, and thus they will be precise. They will show a trend over time if you are loosing BF or not, but they wont necessarily be accurate like you said.

As for my comment about gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, it was in response to the general statement that it was not possible. It is possible for some people, and that comment had nothing to do with OP's current routine and whether or not she could gain muscle and lose fat while doing that routine. It was purely saying, yes, it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
  • avedaprincess
    @moi...I think in the past 3 weeks or so I've been logging with MFP...before that, following a hand out. While my goals are to be smaller, i realky like my shape I just want to be smaller. ..I was about 15 pounds lighter at this time last year and if I spray tanned , I was comfortable in a bikini. ..now I am most certainly not. I was doing jillian Michaels tapes last year...after stopping in the fall and holidays, I decided to spend a considerable amount of money and hire a personal trainer....but I'm not hitting goals and maybe I should just go back to my DVDs...does that sound crazy?
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2015

Good Luck !

Calipers are precise if used correctly. If you measure the same spots in the same way every week they will give you a mm reading which will show you if there is less fat on those spots or not, and thus they will be precise. They will show a trend over time if you are loosing BF or not, but they wont necessarily be accurate like you said.

As for my comment about gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, it was in response to the general statement that it was not possible. It is possible for some people, and that comment had nothing to do with OP's current routine and whether or not she could gain muscle and lose fat while doing that routine. It was purely saying, yes, it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

We will have to agree to disagree on the calipers...I do not believe they are accurate for anything...human error makes is so.

But for gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time yes I agree it can be done at maintenance getting in enough protein and doing a progressive overload lifting program...there are folks here who do it...I prefer it that way as I can't get my head to wrap around a bulk...
  • galgenstrick

Good Luck !

We will have to agree to disagree on the calipers...I do not believe they are accurate for anything...human error makes is so.

You're confusing the words "Precision" and "Accuracy" they are two completely different things:

http://www.ncsu.edu/labwrite/Experimental Design/accuracyprecision.htm
  • SezxyStef
    @moi...I think in the past 3 weeks or so I've been logging with MFP...before that, following a hand out. While my goals are to be smaller, i realky like my shape I just want to be smaller. ..I was about 15 pounds lighter at this time last year and if I spray tanned , I was comfortable in a bikini. ..now I am most certainly not. I was doing jillian Michaels tapes last year...after stopping in the fall and holidays, I decided to spend a considerable amount of money and hire a personal trainer....but I'm not hitting goals and maybe I should just go back to my DVDs...does that sound crazy?

nope it doesn't...I don't know many people who use a personal trainer that get the results they are after...however i know lots who go it alone and get great results...

My sister does the dvd's and is lean and visible muscle...she looks great.

I lift without a trainer, weight my food etc and getting great results...down almost 60lbs and from a size 16 to a 4.
  • SezxyStef

Good Luck !

You're confusing the words "Precision" and "Accuracy" they are two completely different things:

http://www.ncsu.edu/labwrite/Experimental Design/accuracyprecision.htm

I think the only thing calipers are good for are showing a trend as long as the person doing the measuring is "precise" but other than that...nope...even dexa/bod pods can be off due to hydration levels...