so confused. can use some experts to weigh in.

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How long have you been "strength training" and what do you do for strength training?

And the activity setting in MFP is for pre exercise so put it back to sedentary...

• LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    How long have you been "strength training" and what do you do for strength training?

And the activity setting in MFP is for pre exercise so put it back to sedentary...

I did.

I have been strength training for about two weeks now. I just lift weights depending on what part of the body I am working out that day.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I did.

I have been strength training for about two weeks now. I just lift weights depending on what part of the body I am working out that day.
    @LolaKarwowski are you doing a structured program? like Stronglifts? if not what exercises at what reps/weights/sets

strength training is heavy weights in sets of 3-5 with reps of 3-5 and those are hard fought reps.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So you have a BMI of 21 and are aiming for a BMI of 19.5
    which whilst both within the healthy range they are both low

Is this just about scale weight or is it because you have some objective for how you want your body to look

I only ask because I spent years obsessing about scale weight until I finally, torturously, worked out that it doesn't matter a jot ...what I really wanted was my body to look a certain way and that was done through musculature

As an illustration see how this girls figure has got smaller, tighter and more shapely as her scale weight increased - this is down to building muscles

q8px3utiyfvg.jpg

While I agree with the underlying principle you're trying to get across, those pictures aren't credible.

Don't know why you don't find them credible

What about Staci from nerdfitness

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

progress.jpg

girl-from-nerd-fitness-for-scale-article.png
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I manually set my numbers... I am sedentary M-F and pretty active on the weekend (life as a single mom with kids)... so I looked at what my cals would be if I maintain at sedentary, and what my cals would be if I maintain at lightly active and added them up (5 x sedentary + 2 x l.a), then divided by 7 to get a slightly higher daily average.

I log most of my exercise, but not all of my activity.

Just curious... what rate of loss do you have your cals set to?
    With 7 pounds to go... I'm really hoping it's nothing higher than 1/2 pound a week. You're almost at goal... it's time to start shifting your view from that final number and being "done" to shifting to a "what do I do going forward".

It's like stopping at a stop sign... you don't want to be going full tilt and then slam on the brakes you get to the stop sign, but rather apply the brakes in such a way that you roll to a comfortable stop (aka "maintenance). The slower you apply the brakes, the easier the stop is on everyone.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

That pic says the subject, between weight gain and recomp, put on 20 pounds of muscle, possibly more.

That is EXTREMELY hard to, especially for a female. Not credible to me without actual evidence, sorry. Others are free to make up their own minds, of course! :drinker:

Even if accurate, it is not something very many people are going to be able to do.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

That pic says the subject, between weight gain and recomp, put on 20 pounds of muscle, possibly more.

That is EXTREMELY hard to, especially for a female. Not credible to me without actual evidence, sorry. Others are free to make up their own minds, of course! :drinker:

Even if accurate, it is not something very many people are going to be able to do.

Yeah, I see what you're saying...from what I remember there were years between each shot ...If someone could find the original blog it would be great ...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Yeah, I see what you're saying...from what I remember there were years between each shot ...If someone could find the original blog it would be great ...

Ah, interesting! Ok, if there were literally "years" between shots, then I'd have to temper my scepticism. :smile:
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Imma be super honest now.. I just do what my husband tells me to do.

Here is what I wrote down for the week.

Saturday
    Bench Press - can only do the bar about 6-7 times (3 sets)
    Incline (can't remember which one this was) but I could not do the bar without my husband's help
    Flies - 12 reps w/30lbs, 5 reps with 50lbs (2x)
    Incline Press - 5-6 reps w/10lbs (I believe I was worn out by this point which is why he didn't have me do another rep)
    Lateral Bench Press - 5 reps w/10lbs.

Sunday
    Leg/Squat Press Hack Squat - 10 reps w/o weights, 5 reps w/20lbs, 3 reps w/40lbs, 6 reps w/30lbs, 3 reps w/50 bs.
    Seated Leg Curl - 10 reps w/50lbs, 4 reps w/70lbs, 4 reps w/70lbs.
    Leg Extension - 10 reps w/70lbs, 8 reps w/90lbs, 2 reps w/110lbs, 8 reps w/90lbs.
    Leg Press - 12 reps w/warm up, 6 reps w/50lbs, 7 reps w/50lbs, 5 reps w/70lbs.

Monday
    Military Press - 12 reps w/20lbs, 8 reps w/30lbs, 4 reps (barely) w/40lbs, 3 reps (w/husband's help) w/45lbs.
    Barbell Upright Rows - 10 reps w/20lbs, 6 reps w/30lbs, 7 reps (w/husband's help on last rep) w/30lbs.
    Lateral Raise - 7 reps w/30lbs (w/husband's help on last two), 10 reps w/30lbs (w/husband's help with 5 reps)
    Hammer Shoulder Press - 7 reps w/20lbs, 8 reps w/20lbs.
    Shrugs - 10 reps w/20lbs, 10 reps w/40lbs, 5 reps w/55lbs.

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, I'd be worn out by that. Do yourself a favor and look at Stronglifts 5x5. People swear it's all the workout you need. I saw good results on the program.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Quite sure 135lb for 5 ft 7 isn't in the normal range.....more like underweight. I mean I'm 5'4 and I'm 131lb and I'm quite thin.....

No, it's not underweight (I'm 5'7 and hovering around 136-138).

OP, eat 1700. At least. 1500 is crazy. I got to your goal weight and stayed there for years eating way more than that (like 2000-2200). And I was already way older than you. There's no need to go down to 1500 if you're active most days.
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options

Saturday
    Incline (can't remember which one this was) but I could not do the bar without my husband's help
    Incline Press - 5-6 reps w/10lbs (I believe I was worn out by this point which is why he didn't have me do another rep)

Sunday
    Leg/Squat Press Hack Squat - 10 reps w/o weights, 5 reps w/20lbs, 3 reps w/40lbs, 6 reps w/30lbs, 3 reps w/50 bs.
    Leg Extension - 10 reps w/70lbs, 8 reps w/90lbs, 2 reps w/110lbs, 8 reps w/90lbs.

Monday
    Military Press - 12 reps w/20lbs, 8 reps w/30lbs, 4 reps (barely) w/40lbs, 3 reps (w/husband's help) w/45lbs.
    Barbell Upright Rows - 10 reps w/20lbs, 6 reps w/30lbs, 7 reps (w/husband's help on last rep) w/30lbs.
    Lateral Raise - 7 reps w/30lbs (w/husband's help on last two), 10 reps w/30lbs (w/husband's help with 5 reps)

That is a dude's workout! Why do you have two upper-body days? Do a program with full-body days. Check out Strong Curves.

This program seems to be all about making big arms.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

That is a dude's workout! Why do you have two upper-body days? Do a program with full-body days. Check out Strong Curves.

Even if it's a dudes workout, no one needs chest flies or leg extensions. Period.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Even if it's a dudes workout, no one needs chest flies or leg extensions. Period.

I think it's a bodybuilder-dude -type workout, sounds like, lots of isolation moves, high reps, etc.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

What's wrong with leg extensions. That's the flexing your leg up isn't it. Like your kicking upwards?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

What's wrong with leg extensions. That's the flexing your leg up isn't it. Like your kicking upwards?

Bad for knees!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Bad for knees!

I'm no expert but I don't see how. If I can't see how leg extensions are any worse than any other exercise.

Maybe the people who hurt their knee had poor form?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Bad for knees!

I'm no expert but I don't see how. If I can't see how leg extensions are any worse than any other exercise.

Maybe the people who hurt their knee had poor form?

It puts a lot more shear stress on the knees than other exercises like squats. And they are just inferior to other compound leg exercises. They might have a place in rehab, but I don't have any experience in the physical therapy area to tell you.
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2015
    Options

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Check out this routine

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

this is a great beginner program...unless your husband is trained or has a lot of experience then no.

a compound lifting program would do you some good. If you ate 5%-10% below maintenance and started a progressive load heavy lifting program I bet you would be happy with the continuing results in 3-6 months...not really trying to lose a lot of weight but still in a slight deficit....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?page=13#posts-19366042

ETA If my husband told me to do something like that I would tell him to float...how long does that take you??? wowsers.