New User, keto diet

Options
Hey, I've been using the app for about a week to help me track progress with the ketogenic diet. Anyone interested in sharing recipes or stories? If you're not familiar with keto, it's very low carb, and high fat content diet. It sounds weird but there's a lot of good science behind it. I'm looking to lose 50ish pounds over the year, so anyone that wants to talk is welcome! And post if you'd like more info on ketogenic dieting, it is interesting

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Check out the Low Carber Forum...in groups... It is all about LCHF....
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Check out the Low Carber Forum...in groups... It is all about LCHF....

Yup, they're a great bunch there!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • serena90lsb
    serena90lsb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm following the exantediet diet total solution and it's very low carb diet.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what the difference between low carb and a keto diet is, but I'm on Atkins which is high fat, low carb. I aim for less than 20g per day.
  • ccwms
    ccwms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the difference between low carb and keto is in the amounts of your macronutrients. Keto has you balance the percentages in such a way that your body is in ketosis (body burns fat instead of sugars from carbs). Low carb has the same goals, it's just how you tweak it to fit what works for you. The take-away is that we need to minimize the carbs in order to gain good health and lose weight without muscle loss. Also, Keto is medium protein, because you can overdue protein and your body will turn that into a carb and use that for fuel, thus knocking you out of ketosis. I'm doing Keto based on current research of its many benefits. I can attest to the fact that you lose weight pretty effortlessly (if you don't count the learning curve of balancing those macros).
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    ccwms wrote: »
    I'm thinking the difference between low carb and keto is in the amounts of your macronutrients. Keto has you balance the percentages in such a way that your body is in ketosis (body burns fat instead of sugars from carbs). Low carb has the same goals, it's just how you tweak it to fit what works for you. The take-away is that we need to minimize the carbs in order to gain good health and lose weight without muscle loss. Also, Keto is medium protein, because you can overdue protein and your body will turn that into a carb and use that for fuel, thus knocking you out of ketosis. I'm doing Keto based on current research of its many benefits. I can attest to the fact that you lose weight pretty effortlessly (if you don't count the learning curve of balancing those macros).

My current macros for the most part is 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. Of course some days my carbs can go up to 7-8%, but never over 10%. I don't think I've ever had a day where my fat was below 65%.

• zsgreenwell
    zsgreenwell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Atkins is a keto diet. Isn't the point of the induction phase of Atkins to get people to go into ketosis?

I've done lower carb and prefer to diet in a mild state of ketosis, but have never chosen to do Atkins, but that was my impression.

Yes Atkins is a variety of ketosis diets. Though most people following a pure keto diet will only stay withing the first phase of induction and not move back to carbs ad the Atkins diet does.
  • zsgreenwell
    zsgreenwell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been using the app for about a week to help me track progress with the ketogenic diet. Anyone interested in sharing recipes or stories? If you're not familiar with keto, it's very low carb, and high fat content diet. It sounds weird but there's a lot of good science behind it. I'm looking to lose 50ish pounds over the year, so anyone that wants to talk is welcome! And post if you'd like more info on ketogenic dieting, it is interesting

You may want to check out the r/keto page on reddit.com. Tons of useful information. Action with thousands and of participants.