Share your greek yogurt "pudding" recipes!

Options
mathandcats
mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
I eat greek yogurt regularly as a source of protein, and it recently occurred to me that I could make imitation puddings. These are obviously not going to be quite like a real pudding, but I'm only aiming for a way to have a low calorie, high protein breakfast that tastes a bit like a treat. I aim to keep breakfast under 200 calories so that I have more room for afternoon snacks.

Here's the things I've concocted. Note that 140g of yogurt is around 1/2 cup. I always use Liberte 2% plain greek yogurt, and changing brands might require a change in the amount of sweeteners to hide the tangy yogurt taste.

Chocolate: about 160 cal and 15g protein
  • 140g plain greek yogurt
  • 15g honey (about 2 tsp)
  • 1-2 scoops Now Better Stevia or more honey to taste (this is a pure stevia, 1 scoop is a tiny amount. If using packets, you'd probably want 1-2 packets, but I'm not sure. This is what I use)
  • dash salt
  • dash vanilla extract
  • 10g (about 1 tbsp) cocoa
Stir all ingredients together and eat.

PB2 & J: around 180 cal and 17g protein
  • 140g plain greek yogurt
  • 10g PB2 (or around 2 tbsp PB, which drastically increases the calories)
  • 1-2 tbsp jam of choice
Stir all ingredients together and eat.

Banana: depends on banana and powder, but around 170cal and 17g protein with 80g banana
  • 1 very ripe banana
  • 100g plain greek yogurt
  • vanilla protein powder to taste (I used 8g of this, which is a not overly sweet vanilla powder. That's about 1/3 scoop.)
Mash the banana and stir in other ingredients. If you want it totally smooth, you could blend it, but I didn't bother.

I'm thinking I might try strawberry banana by adding jam instead of protein powder in the banana one. Any other suggestions or recipes to share?

Replies

• ksousa2
    ksousa2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love greek yoghurt with honey granola and fruit compote :)
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have been buying the Chobani Chocolate Greek Yogurts. 3.5 ounces and perfect as a dessert.
  • mathandcats
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There's not many options for flavours of greek yogurt here, sadly. Mostly just vanilla and the classic fruit yogurt flavours - strawberry, peach, raspberry, etc. The only ones that are dessert-like are the super rich ones (like 10%+ fat). Thus, I'm looking for ways to make something yummy at home with the 2% plain that I buy. Generally, I'm able to make something with more protein than the packaged options anyway (because the calories are coming from having more yogurt rather than a ton of sugar) - a lot of the little tubs only have 7-8g of protein.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I use Fage total 0%. I like to mix 170 grams with PB2 (12 grams), and a crushed up oreo. I've also added a couple crushed up pretzel thins. Sometimes I'll add cocoa powder too.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I've done the chocolate too, but I don't bother with the extra, salt, or sweetener anymore. Sometimes a splash of honey though.

I also tried the PB&J last week and it was really good. I'd like to try it with a crushed graham cracker.
  • mathandcats
    Options
    Oh man, I should try adding a crushed up graham cracker to the banana one!
  • arditarose
    Options
    barneygood wrote: »
    Oh man, I should try adding a crushed up graham cracker to the banana one!

I don't do bananas (not worth the calories for me) but I think that sounds pretty nice!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Awesome with PB2.

I mixed Greek yogurt with a bit of stevia, some grated coconut and chocolate chips last week... So good.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    We never buy the fruited yogurts. It's crazy to when fresh berries are in season, and even in winter, we buy frozen berries. Much cheaper, much less sugar and calories if you add an artificial sweetener that you like. A cup of fresh strawberries and a,cup of yogurt is less than 200 calories, and it's a lot of food.
  • mathandcats
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I made another banana one with some graham crumbs today, and it was really good! Here's what I did:
    • 140g ripe banana (1 very large banana)
    • 200g 2% plain greek yogurt
    • 26g (about 1 scoop) of the Muscletech vanilla iso-zero protein powder (here)
    • 24g (about 3 tbsp) graham cracker crumbs
    I put 12g of graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of two small tupperwares, mixed the other ingredients as before (mash banana, mix in the rest) and spooned it on top. One I ate immediately - I ended up just stirring the crumbs in. The other is sitting in the fridge overnight - I'm kind of hoping the crumbs will absorb some liquid and become like a crust. We shall see.

It came to 226 cal, 3g fat, 22g protein for one serving. Really tasty to me, but unfortunately the flavour definitely depends a lot on your protein powder - I know some that I've tried in the past would probably make this kind of disgusting (or, at least, I'd have to use a lot less of it). I had to put more powder in this time because the banana was only just ripe, and not as sweet as last time.

If I can think of a way to thicken it more, I think this would qualify as a good cream pie to me. I'd probably put that amount of yogurt/banana mixture into three "pies" next time, though.
  • mathandcats
    Options
    Wow, it kind of worked! I think if I make it with less of the banana yogurt on top, I can really make a high protein guilt free banana cream pie from this. The one that sat in the fridge overnight thickened up significantly (I think as the liquid absorbed into the crumbs), but if there was less of it it probably would have thickened even more. The crumbs did become kind of crust like from absorbing liquid, but it wouldn't slice nicely or anything. For a single serve container, that's fine, but I could also consider putting it on top of a real graham cracker crust for dessert.
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yoghurt i use fage 0%
    Lightly whip to airate it a bit
    Then in a pretty glass like a martini glass place a teaspoon of fruit curd (orange, lemon, passionfruit all work well)
    Top with whipped yoghurt
    Sprinkle with some granola or similar (tesco pecan crunch is our favourite)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try the banana/graham!

I buy unflavored protein powder so it's more versatile - I'll just add my own vanilla.

For the strawberry banana, I'll be getting fresh strawberries from my garden in a few weeks and in the meantime keep frozen ones on hand. I let them defrost a bit before throwing into the Cuisinart (which I think is easier to wash then a blender) for smoothies.
  • bezark
    bezark Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2-3/4c plain greek yogurt with 1/2 a serving of chocolate whey protein, plus whatever berries we happen to have in the house- raspberries today. This is my "junk" food nearly every day lately.
    DH discovered the idea, and at first I thought it was crazy, but now I'm addicted.
  • arditarose
    Options
    bezark wrote: »
    I do 1/2-3/4c plain greek yogurt with 1/2 a serving of chocolate whey protein, plus whatever berries we happen to have in the house- raspberries today. This is my "junk" food nearly every day lately.
    DH discovered the idea, and at first I thought it was crazy, but now I'm addicted.

I don't know why that sounds crazy or why it's "junk" but...sounds good.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I think I'll mess around with the graham crackers this week. No banana though!
  • mathandcats
    Options
    I tried making a more proper graham cracker crust this time (in that I added some melted butter and pressed it down). It didn't work very well - kind of dissolved as the liquid of the yogurt sunk in. I think if you want to make a true pie you'd need to use a higher fat greek yogurt. I might try straining some of my 2% some more. It's still tasty, but it is not a pie-like consistency.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I like to mix a plain greek yogurt (Fage is my fave brand) with sugar free pudding mix (usually lemon) and then I add frozen blueberries. It's SO yummy!
  • arditarose
    Options
    I tried making a more proper graham cracker crust this time (in that I added some melted butter and pressed it down). It didn't work very well - kind of dissolved as the liquid of the yogurt sunk in. I think if you want to make a true pie you'd need to use a higher fat greek yogurt. I might try straining some of my 2% some more. It's still tasty, but it is not a pie-like consistency.

What would happen if you used the freezer? Couldn't you make some kind of frozen yogurt bar?
  • mathandcats
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What would happen if you used the freezer? Couldn't you make some kind of frozen yogurt bar?

That's a good idea. I saw a recipe for "cheesecake" frozen yogurt popsicles that included a graham cracker crust around the stick. You could try doing that. I've made yogurt popsicles that are essentially just fruit + yogurt + sweetener if needed and they are always pretty tasty, so I expect this would work well too.