For the ladies out there...period talk!

Options
This may be a little gross, but it is probably my biggest obstacle. The week before my period I'm always exhausted and starving...I can put away a scary amount of food!! Does anyone else have this problem?? And what do you do?? I feel like I gain a pound everytime!

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's all part of the process. Some months I do OK, some months I overeat. And I almost always put on a bit of bloat during that week, but it comes off just fine.
  • AnotherPuppet
    AnotherPuppet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    From the vast amount of threads I've seen on this issue in these last few months, it's very normal to crave everything during your period. I usually gain .5 of a pound in the few days my period has hit me. Try not to worry about it and if you can just keep healthier options around the house.

I've learned to keep sugar free jello, light syrup fruit cups, a few small 50 cent chip bags, and just other less cal/lower cal foods around the house. It doesn't always work (as fast food is a thing) but it usually keeps me satisfied.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me.. it's not the amount of food that I eat, which I don't eat more than usual really. I really have to watch sodium, though. I retain water like it's no one's business if I'm not careful with sodium. Last month I didn't gain any weight at all because I was very diligent at keeping my carbs under 20g a day, which I do anyways. But also keeping sodium under 1000mg. In the past when I wasn't doing low carb, I'd easily gain 5-7 lbs during my period. I was also guilty of eating fast food then.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This may be a little gross, but it is probably my biggest obstacle. The week before my period I'm always exhausted and starving...I can put away a scary amount of food!! Does anyone else have this problem?? And what do you do?? I feel like I gain a pound everytime!

Why is it gross? Periods are a standard part of our biology for many years and should be easy to talk about

Yes it can be particularly difficult around menstruation with water retention,hormonal increase in appetite, pain, fatigue and whatever else our bodies like to put us through as our normality

You need to ensure you stick to your calories...drink more, move more even when in pain a good workout can help and make good food choices...big hearty vegetable stews on hand...don't avoid carbs they tend to be comforting and just focus for that day

For many the more difficult stage can be offset by a drop in appetite when your period starts so you could choose to switch to maintenance for a few days then resume your defecit

Oh and I always looked forward to the drop in weight I got towards the end of my period
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain . I actually gained 7lbs literally overnight. In fairness it was a carbs binge followed by getting my period, which for whatever reason (perhaps my age?) has been heavier than usual. I am a daily weigher so am used to the fluctuation but 7lbs was a big one! I'm hoping it will get back to where I was (with only 7.5lbs to target) within the week, but I have a feeling it's not going to go to plan. This is where I have to forget the number on the scale and judge how I'm doing by how my workouts feel and how my clothes fit. I am focussing on just staying within my calorie goals and getting my exercise in. Apart from anything else exercise does help with cramps.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, PMS week sucks, there's no two ways about it. I'm actually seriously contemplating upping my cals (cutting my deficit in half) for those few nasty days next round. So I lose a bit less that week. I am totally fine with that.

But also, plan, plan, plan. Have snacks that you know will satisfy whatever cravings you get on hand, so you're less inclined to go 'screw it' and order pizza.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I usually have a rough two days before mine. I just try to be good, but eat what I crave, exercise, and hope it all balances out from my hard work the other days. I noticed when I first began this journey I would not lose weight during the week of my TOM, but now I can lose on it.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options

I always feel ravenous the week before. But since I know WHY I'm hungry, I also know that no matter how much I eat, I will still feel like I'm starving.

Last week, I ate a piece of fruit or some veggies every two hours. It got to the point where I felt like I was eating all day. I didn't even really notice what week it was since I managed to get the natural sugars for energy, and something in my tummy all day.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Before I started my diet my period week was awful,I would just crave sugar and junk food so I was wary about it during my diet .
    But I've been fine,still not touched sweet stuff or gone over and carried on with my usual exercises.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Woke up to that joyous friend this morning! Only gained .5lb, as of this morning and I normally have a gain of 3-5lb! Must say that I am pleased with the small bloat. But normally I just treat TOM as it is, if I need to eat a treat, I do, and I try to get some activity in, even when I don't feel like it, because those cramps can be a b*tch. I don't stress it because if I've worked hard all month, a few days won't reverse my progress.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I'm expecting mine in the next two or three days and I'm fortifying my will now, otherwise I'll be gorging on McDonalds all week. I bought some mince burgers in my last grocery shop, so I'm going to home-make cheeseburger. And mashed potato is one of my favourite foods - I'll have mash instead of fries.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I'm going to up the yoga this month and see if that affects cravings.

Last month, instead of eating a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's, I had one of these: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/totally-chocolate-chocolate-chip-cookies-29 which are indeed 'chocolatey to the point of madness."

I make a batch and freeze most of them. For some reason, while an open container of ice cream is not safe in my freezer, these are.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I feel your pain . I actually gained 7lbs literally overnight. In fairness it was a carbs binge followed by getting my period, which for whatever reason (perhaps my age?) has been heavier than usual. I am a daily weigher so am used to the fluctuation but 7lbs was a big one! I'm hoping it will get back to where I was (with only 7.5lbs to target) within the week, but I have a feeling it's not going to go to plan. This is where I have to forget the number on the scale and judge how I'm doing by how my workouts feel and how my clothes fit. I am focusing on just staying within my calorie goals and getting my exercise in. Apart from anything else exercise does help with cramps.

You're at an age where fibroids, which can cause heavier periods, can develop. I have one the size of a grapefruit and have extremely heavy bleeding.

http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/uterine-fibroids.html
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I always seem to either gain or stay the same weight around my period no matter what I do. Usually tho, if I keep doing what I'm doing, I have a drop soon after. Just keep doing what ur doing and try not to focus on the scale. The biggest help for me recently is focusing on my exercise and food intake and putting away the scale for a few weeks.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If I'm craving stuff more than usual it's a good reminder that my period will be showing up any day. With me, my only big cravings are chocolate and pizza. If I can ignore my cravings then great! But if it's driving me crazy I just buy a little bit of it and have it for one day. Definitely do not buy enough to keep it in thr house.
  • Change1992
    Change1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I REALLY struggle around TOM with food/activity decisions. For the last 6 months or so I've been reducing my deficit from TDEE - 20% to TDEE - 10% for the week - it seems to really help!

Gives me a little extra room for a treat or bigger servings. I also wind my exercise down a little bit. I know it's supposed to help to keep exercising but I really suffer physically during my TOM. I still move though - I just aim for 10 000 steps a day rather than running three times a week. Not sure whether it helps but it makes me think of the TOM week as a 'relaxed' week with the lesser deficit and lower activity levels :)

Anyone noticed any changes when on the progestogen only pill? I'm considering going on that to reduce my TOM symptoms as well as contraception. Experiences would be welcome!
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had their period change? I cycle weirdly to begin with but its due to having a IUD a few years ago. At my heaviest weight I barely had my period, now I cycle every 32-34 days. This month I don't know what's going on. I have all my regular PMS stuff going on but no period yet. Can iron affect our cyle?
    Sorry if I'm not very coherent, I just woke up.
  • MrsBrown104
    MrsBrown104 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes! Definitely not alone. I could eat my entire kitchen the week before and still be hungry.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had their period change? I cycle weirdly to begin with but its due to having a IUD a few years ago. At my heaviest weight I barely had my period, now I cycle every 32-34 days. This month I don't know what's going on. I have all my regular PMS stuff going on but no period yet. Can iron affect our cyle?
    Sorry if I'm not very coherent, I just woke up.

I was on the pill and now use a ring while losing and gaining weight. As my weight decreases, my period starts earlier and earlier in the week. Activity also seems to influence it. I believe fat (especially stored in the stomach) interfers/alters how hormones affect the body. Someone will know about this than I do.