Can you measure two tbsp of ranch on a plate for me?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
And take a picture of it? I know it might sound weird, but I see it in bowls only and that is difficult since I don't know the depth of the bowls and I have no money right now to buy a measuring spoon. We literally have no money so if someone could help me out that wound be amazing.. I eat a lot of ranch. Lol.

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Don't eat ranch for a few weeks and use that money you saved to buy a scale.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Sadly I don't eat ranch and so don't have any to measure for you, otherwise I'd gladly do it... But I'd recommend asking for the size of the plate. It could be an enormous dinner plate and the ranch with look like a miniscule amount, or it could be a tiny dessert plate and the ranch could look like a huge amount. :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I'm on food stamps. I really don't think I can go without ranch for weeks without crying. Lol. I'm not a depriver, I'm a portion controller. Plus, we don't need to buy it...we have three bottles.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't eat salad without ranch that long. I'd feel sick. I can eat it sometimes with cilantro and lime, but sometimes I need dressing or I'd be disgusted... Not big on any other dressing either. That's not really the point anyway... I just asked if someone wouldn't mind. No big deal.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Sadly I don't eat ranch and so don't have any to measure for you, otherwise I'd gladly do it... But I'd recommend asking for the size of the plate. It could be an enormous dinner plate and the ranch with look like a miniscule amount, or it could be a tiny dessert plate and the ranch could look like a huge amount. :)
    I thought about that. Lol. I'd ask for a general idea. In most pictures if I can see other things it helps. Like a hand or salt shaker and get an idea by comparison. If someone could even tell me the space they think it would fill, that would help. I mean like one in across two the other way for a flat tbsp or what ya know? I guess but I could be way off as I have no idea how much that is honestly.. I'd love a scale, but I have three kids and I'm not sure how pricey those are? I'm more likely to get some measuring spoons soon lol
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I thought about that. Lol. I'd ask for a general idea. In most pictures if I can see other things it helps. Like a hand or salt shaker and get an idea by comparison. If someone could even tell me the space they think it would fill, that would help. I mean like one in across two the other way for a flat tbsp or what ya know? I guess but I could be way off as I have no idea how much that is honestly.. I'd love a scale, but I have three kids and I'm not sure how pricey those are? I'm more likely to get some measuring spoons soon lol

I don't live in the U.S., but from what I've heard, scales cost around $15. Don't let someone make you feel guilty for something you can't afford. :) Save up for it in bits and pieces if you can--I can vouch for the fact that they're PRICELESS when it comes to learning portion control!

Sadly, I don't use dressing at all (I don't like it, I eat my salad totally plain with salt and pepper), otherwise I'd try to help you figure it out with whatever kind of dressing I might have had. :( Maybe just measure out two regular tablespoons, like the kind of spoons you eat with, and hope for the best? I'm sorry that I don't have any better ideas!
  • Verity1111
    Options

I don't live in the U.S., but from what I've heard, scales cost around $15. Don't let someone make you feel guilty for something you can't afford. :) Save up for it in bits and pieces if you can--I can vouch for the fact that they're PRICELESS when it comes to learning portion control!

Sadly, I don't use dressing at all (I don't like it, I eat my salad totally plain with salt and pepper), otherwise I'd try to help you figure it out with whatever kind of dressing I might have had. :( Maybe just measure out two regular tablespoons, like the kind of spoons you eat with, and hope for the best? I'm sorry that I don't have any better ideas!

I'm not sure if we even own those lol I will check. We had this silverware and it broke lol it was awful and cheaply made. Maybe I can borrow one from my parents. So are the measurements the same that you know of? I'll see if my mom has one. She lost her measuring set too lol. You helped a lot. $15 is very cheap. My browser is being crappy but my app works.. I'll check for scales later. Thank you so much. I wish I liked salad with just salt and pepper.. Though I'm not sure I've tried that? That's not exactly plain. I might have to try it. :)
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You don't have any measuring cups or measuring spoons at all?

Nope. This is my first apartment. I'm 25 with three kids and we haven't even been here a year. We barely got furniture lol we just got a toaster a few weeks ago Lol.... Yay toast
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wouldn't you know it I thought to spend our tax return on big things, bills mainly, but still..and forgot all the little things....
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Pick up a set of measuring spoons from the dollar store... As for the ranch. I love the stuff too, but it is high in cals.. So I often put two tbsp in a container and add two tbsp water and shake... Makes it last twice as long and still has the ranch flavour... And less cals to boot.

• Verity1111
    edited May 2015
    Options
    And don't get me wrong on the scale. I don't even have $15 in the bank lol or I'd buy a measuring set tomorrow, but I thought they'd be more like $35-45
  • Verity1111
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Pick up a set of measuring spoons from the dollar store... As for the ranch. I love the stuff too, but it is high in cals.. So I often put two tbsp in a container and add two tbsp water and shake... Makes it last twice as long and still has the ranch flavour... And less cals to boot.

I literally do not have $1...but maybe Friday since it's pay day. We already took money from rent. I guess I could do that..but priorities. I'll have to see what we get Friday (family wise). That's a great idea with the water. I could try that... Or maybe add low calorie hot sauce and part water lol that would work even better for me. Yum.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

I'm not sure if we even own those lol I will check. We had this silverware and it broke lol it was awful and cheaply made. Maybe I can borrow one from my parents. So are the measurements the same that you know of? I'll see if my mom has one. She lost her measuring set too lol. You helped a lot. $15 is very cheap. My browser is being crappy but my app works.. I'll check for scales later. Thank you so much. I wish I liked salad with just salt and pepper.. Though I'm not sure I've tried that? That's not exactly plain. I might have to try it. :)

A tablespoon (the kind that you eat with) is actually smaller than the standard measuring spoon, from what I can tell. I suggested it to keep on the safe side of the measurement. :)

I've heard they're around $15 at Wal-Mart. Obviously there are some really expensive ones, but you really don't need a fancy one, just a plain digital one. :)

You're very welcome! As for the salad, the tastiness with just salt and pepper definitely depends on the quality of the produce--Out of season usually makes it pretty tasteless, but in season produce tastes SO good. I often also chop a bit of spring onion and a bit of cilantro for some extra flavor. :)

All the best!
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

Do you know if dollar tree sells them generally? I don't really go to dollar stores, but they just opened one nearby. Maybe I can drag my kids in the morning lol ask my bf to borrow $1 from our rent until Friday.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just tried measuring 2 tablespoons of mayo (I don't have ranch) and it worked out to be one shot glass if that helps - other wise try 3 level teaspoons= 1 tablespoon.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2015
    Options

A tablespoon (the kind that you eat with) is actually smaller than the standard measuring spoon, from what I can tell. I suggested it to keep on the safe side of the measurement. :)

I've heard they're around $15 at Wal-Mart. Obviously there are some really expensive ones, but you really don't need a fancy one, just a plain digital one. :)

You're very welcome! As for the salad, the tastiness with just salt and pepper definitely depends on the quality of the produce--Out of season usually makes it pretty tasteless, but in season produce tastes SO good. I often also chop a bit of spring onion and a bit of cilantro for some extra flavor. :)

All the best!

That sounds delicious. My relatives just always drowned salad in dressing lol.. Spring onion? Is that the same as green onion? I love green onion! So much. I've never had it in regular salad (just potato salad). I have no idea what is in or out of season, but I will Google that later lol thank you again. You are so nice!
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2015
    Options
    KiwiAlexP wrote: »
    I just tried measuring 2 tablespoons of mayo (I don't have ranch) and it worked out to be one shot glass if that helps - other wise try 3 level teaspoons= 1 tablespoon.
    Oh! I wasnt sure if that was a measurement tablespoon or a tablespoon like you use to eat.. Or if those are the same etc. Thank you. I'll see if I can do that too. I collect shot glasses, when I can, so that actually does help, a lot. lol. I need some new ones. Maybe for Xmas. That may be the best way you could have described it to me since I actually have one to use. Thank you very very much.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A shot glass is usually 60ml, so 2tbs would be half a shot glass.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    A shot glass is usually 60ml, so 2tbs would be half a shot glass.
    That also helps. I didn't think to use shot glasses at all! Mainly because I don't use them, they just sit there looking pretty. I'll see if I can find one that I can estimate ml with, assuming 2tbsp is close to have of a 60ml one