Help For the Non-Cook, Serial Restaurant Go'er

aldaerr
aldaerr Posts: 17 Member
Please no flames! I've finally come to the realization that I'm a non-cook. Without going too Freudian, I'll just say that I don't have a mother-figure in my life, so I never learned how to cook growing up. My dad worked 60-80 hours a week, so I got really accustomed to take-out and eating at restaurants. I'm 27 now, and I can't remember a time when I've ever made a full meal by myself. Getting recipes online seems so daunting and time-consuming. My fiancé and I are both working professionals with full-time jobs, plus two thriving side businesses. At this point in my life, I've accepted the fact that it's not reasonable to enter into a diet program with the idea that one day, I'm going to magically buckle down and learn how to cook. My lifestyle (at least right now) just doesn't support it. The good news is, I can comfortably afford to purchase meals that have been prepared by someone else, but I'm finding it hard to make healthy choices without getting bored and ordering a salad at every meal. I need help navigating the world of prepared food options.

So I'm asking, what are some menu items you default to when you're eating out? How about quick and easy, pre-packaged things I can take to work for breakfast and lunch that require little or no prep/cooking time. I'm talking really simple. English muffins, oatmeal, lunchmeat sandwiches, microwavable dinners, low-fat snacks like crackers or bars. On the restaurant side, I usually go frequent Panera, Subway, Chipotle, Starbucks, and sushi places throughout the week. I'm looking for stuff I can buy/order without checking nutritional charts or having to analyze whether or not it's a good choice.

ETA: I know a lot of you guys are big into cooking and want to recommend simple recipes, crock-pot meals, cooking one day of the week and dividing it up through the week. Let me just say... it sounds great, but realistically, I know I won't do it. I'm strictly asking for eating-out and pre-packaged meal/snack ideas. :)

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited May 2015
    aldaerr wrote: »

So I'm asking, what are some menu items you default to when you're eating out? How about quick and easy, pre-packaged things I can take to work for breakfast and lunch that require little or no prep/cooking time. I'm talking really simple. English muffins, oatmeal, lunchmeat sandwiches, microwavable dinners, low-fat snacks like crackers or bars. On the restaurant side, I usually go frequent Panera, Subway, Chipotle, Starbucks, and sushi places throughout the week. I'm looking for stuff I can buy/order without checking nutritional charts or having to analyze whether or not it's a good choice.

I was all set to throw out some suggestions until I read the bolded - are you kidding? Come on, this is MFP. We do our own work. You can't look at a nutritional information sheet for ten seconds at Subway or glance at the label on a Starbucks sandwich? (ok I'll give you my fave there, turkey bacon panini for lunch and artisan bacon and egg breakfast sandwich [for breakfast])
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Panera, Subway, Chipotle, Starbucks

... will all have nutritional charts. Or look them up in the MFP database on your phone. You've got to take charge of this yourself if you hope to be successful.

Incidentally a lot of the Starbucks items are pretty high calorie, at least they are for me relative to how I like to space out my calories over the day.

Good ol Triple Tall Americano (< 15 calories) never disappoints though. :smile:

Edit:
    English muffins, oatmeal, lunchmeat sandwiches, microwavable dinners, low-fat snacks like crackers or bars

Five of six things you mentioned are all carbs or high in carbs. Just sayin'...
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    In general, you might want the protein and fiber numbers to be high, and the overall calories to be low. I.e. you want as much protein and/or fiber as you can get for the calories. (I assume fats are going to be there in good amounts anyway.)

Shoot for ~500-600 (if you're tallish) cals per meal.

Have fewer creamy things, pastas, curries, sauces. Less fried stuff. Watch out for cheese and mayo.

Have more veg and meats. Pick grilled things and salads a lot of the time.

Get dressing on the side for salads. (The thing with salads is, they can still tip you over if you're not careful, there are some honking salads out there. I had a super healthy one the other week, with sweet potato, lentil, quinoa, dab of goat cheese, red peppers. Delicious. 750 cals.)

Rice is more calorific than baked or boiled potatoes for the same portion (except for fries).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

ETA: I know a lot of you guys are big into cooking and want to recommend simple recipes, crock-pot meals, cooking one day of the week and dividing it up through the week. Let me just say... it sounds great, but realistically, I know I won't do it. I'm strictly asking for eating-out and pre-packaged meal/snack ideas. :)

Many items from those restaurants are in the MFP data base. You might find that they have a lot more calories than you expect, esp Chipolte.

A lot of restaurants will have three or four Low Calorie sections. For example Ruby Tuesday has a Fit and Trim part of their menu where in one can order Hickory Bourbon Chicken for 354 calories or Chicken Bella for 426 calories.

Sandwiches and everything else -- the items that go into these are in the data base

English muffins -- top with cheese or peanut butter

Oatmeal (Rolled Oats) can be put in a bowl in the fridge with milk and be ready to eat in the a.m. Add sliced almonds for protein.
    =======

If you totally clear off your kitchen counter and start from scratch to buy tools that can work for you, cooking will be easier:
    a Panini press, slow cooker, vegetable steamer, immersion blender /regular blender/nutribullet /food processor, food scale, measuring spoons, measuring cups, tupperware containers, cutting board, quality knives.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited May 2015
    Aren't there lots of healthy food delivery systems in the States? Where you pay them a silly amount of money and they send you fresh, "nutritionally balanced meas" within a certain calorie count each day?

Would depend on where you are I suppose, but I'm fairly certain that if you have enough disposable income to be parted from there will be a business somewhere that will fulfill your needs.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »

I was all set to throw out some suggestions until I read the bolded - are you kidding? Come on, this is MFP. We do our own work. You can't look at a nutritional information sheet for ten seconds at Subway or glance at the label on a Starbucks sandwich? (ok I'll give you my fave there, turkey bacon panini for lunch and artisan bacon and egg breakfast sandwich [for breakfast])

Seriously. Even the stuff in the database could be wrong - an 800 calorie item could be listed as 200. If you want to log while eating in restaurants, I don't really think it's optional to go to the website and verify their calorie counts

• tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Panera, Subway, Chipotle, Starbucks

... will all have nutritional charts. Or look them up in the MFP database on your phone. You've got to take charge of this yourself if you hope to be successful.

Incidentally a lot of the Starbucks items are pretty high calorie, at least they are for me relative to how I like to space out my calories over the day.

Good ol Triple Tall Americano (< 15 calories) never disappoints though. :smile:

Edit:
    English muffins, oatmeal, lunchmeat sandwiches, microwavable dinners, low-fat snacks like crackers or bars

Five of six things you mentioned are all carbs or high in carbs. Just sayin'...

Yeah and this (bolded) is the main thing. Teach a person to fish, etc. If people give you a list of things, a) there's no guarantee you'll like any of it and b) you won't internalize the knowledge you need to do this for the long haul, whether you cook or not.

Understanding and analysis of at least the macronutrients you consume will also arm you against issues/questions that come up that might otherwise lead to unhealthy reactions. Eg you might go "hunh, I ate that thing, which should be within my budget, but I'm still hungry" and if you don't know that thing is for example low in protein, you won't have the information to make a better choice next time. In that situation, some people might binge and blame themselves, instead of getting that all they have to do is increase protein to feel more full. They might even give up.

It's trial and error for every one of us because we're all different in terms of taste, energy requirements, habits, etc.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Aren't there lots of healthy food delivery systems in the States? Where you pay them a silly amount of money and they send you fresh, "nutritionally balanced meas" within a certain calorie count each day?

Would depend on where you are I suppose, but I'm fairly certain that if you have enough disposable income to be parted from there will be a business somewhere that will fulfill your needs.

I was actually thinking of someone who once told me she does have a chef come to her house once a week and prepare all or at least most of their food. Busy professionals, thriving businesses, I'm guessing there's indeed some disposable $$ whereby one need not bother with learning to cook but can still consume a variety of yummy healthy meals. Hell, could even have them setup a MFP account where you could copy their meals, or have them do the logging for you or leave data sheets with the Nutritional Info of their food items

Also not everything requires cooking - yogurt, cheese, nuts, fruit, the list is endless.

As for cooking, well. What tools are you using for looking up recipes? I have the allrecipes.com app and ever since I've been easing into cooking, I tend to use recipes with very few ingredients that won't overwhelm me. If I'm craving something, I do a search while I'm still motivated to cook it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Salad in a bag, microwave rice, frozen vegetable mixes, frozen seasoned fish, canned fish, ready made grilled chicken strips, fruit, wraps and lunch meat, frozen breakfast sandwiches.
    At restaurants I stick with broiled or grilled meat and vegetables on the side, skipping any starchy sides like potatoes, rice, buns for hamburgers, pasta, etc.
    Healthy delivery food may be a really good option. We have some spots around here that have meals based on your nutritional needs.
  • aldaerr
    aldaerr Posts: 17 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I was all set to throw out some suggestions until I read the bolded - are you kidding? Come on, this is MFP. We do our own work. You can't look at a nutritional information sheet for ten seconds at Subway or glance at the label on a Starbucks sandwich?

Oops, I didn't really mean it like that. I do look at nutritional labels and calorie charts... all the time! Basically, I'm trying to compile a list of selections I can have at restaurants that I can know (ahead of time) are going to be appropriate. I'm trying to build up an arsenal of "can haves" so I don't spend too much time over-thinking it. Does that make more sense?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2015
    Suck it up.

Seriously, it's faster to grill some chicken breasts on the George Foreman grill and microwave some frozen veggies than going to Panera and waiting for my order to be ready. Buy some steaks, pork chops, chicken sausages, chicken breasts (all can be cooked on the foreman), and a ton of frozen veggies and that's a week of 10 minutes dinners right there that don't require any cooking skills.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    If you're eating out a lot it's often harder to get enough fiber (at least for me). So I would focus on adding veggies and fibrous foods when possible.

At chipotle, always add the sautéed veggies and include beans. I would skip the rice to save calories. Either skip the condiments (cheese, sour cream, guacamole)-or maybe just cut the burrito in half, it depends on your goals.

Same thing for subway and panera. Go for whole wheat options, add lots of veggies, skip or reduce condiments and make sure you get a source of protein. Again, it really depends on your goals and preferences. Sometimes I would rather just get the lower calorie options, sometimes I want all the flavor and just reduce my portion.

For breakfast buy the oatmeal in a cup, buy or make hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, protein bars with fruit, pre-cut fruit, buy or make smoothies. For snacks buy pre-cut veggies, protein bars, pretzels, popcorn, yogurt, cheese. In general their are lots of convenient dairy snacks as well as fruit and veggie snacks that take no work if you're willing to pay for them.

Just think of everything you like and think of how to make it fit your goals. You can buy anything premade these days. I would think it would almost be easier to be in your position bc you can afford to buy all the healthy stuff!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015

Oops, I didn't really mean it like that. I do look at nutritional labels and calorie charts... all the time! Basically, I'm trying to compile a list of selections I can have at restaurants that I can know (ahead of time) are going to be appropriate. I'm trying to build up an arsenal of "can haves" so I don't spend too much time over-thinking it. Does that make more sense?

So do that. Look up the nutritional information on the foods and places you like to eat. Adjust what you order so it fits your calorie\macro goals. There's nothing you "can't" have.

So much about you, your goals, your likes and dislikes goes into finding good options for your meals that its really something you have to do for yourself. You have access to all the same information about the food available that we do.
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    If you like tuna fish Starkist has lunch to go kits it has everything in a package (mayo, relish, no drain tuna, crackers, mint, napkin, and spoon) and it's only 230 calories. Bonus they usually cost less than $3 in my area. I take these for lunch 1-2 days a week because it's easy, cheap, and doesn't need to be refridgerated.

As far as eating out goes, try to make simple substitutions that can lead to a lot of calories/fats saved. Instead of french fries opt for rice or a baked potato. If you get a burger/chicken sandwich take the bread off. Go for a diet soda, unsweet tea, or water so you aren't drinking your calories while out. If you get a food with sauces on it ask for the sauce on side and you'll be more likely to use less and save some calories (ex: Chinese Food). Opt for grilled over breaded/fried chicken. Again, just make small changes that will go a long way. You aren't required to only eat salads when eating out.

I also agree with PP that you really need to focus on nutritional content to succeed, especially when eating out. It doesn't take much effort really and most items are in the MFP database.
  • tootle4
    tootle4 Posts: 8 Member
    I get lunch from Panera often. They have a phone app now where you can order from your phone and just walk down to Panera to pick it up. The app also shows calories of each item and totals the calories on the order summary screen.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    tootle4 wrote: »
    I get lunch from Panera often. They have a phone app now where you can order from your phone and just walk down to Panera to pick it up. The app also shows calories of each item and totals the calories on the order summary screen.

LOL

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read Francl's post :laugh: In my location they even have a five minute parking spot right in front of the door specifically for people who order online. I feel so anti-social when I just walk in there and grab my food without a single word to anyone, but it's the only way I've done it for months
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Wait, so, do you not cook like, at all? We're talking not even baked/grilled chicken & steam-in-bag vegetables for dinner? If that's the case I have to echo the 'you should at least try to learn' sentiment. It's really not that hard. Or time consuming. And you'll have much more control over what you are putting into your body. Less sodium, weird preservatives, you can control the amount of oil/fat your foods are cooking in/topped with.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I don't cook either, OP (well, every once in a while I'll try to make some chicken or something in the crockpot but it never comes out how it should) so here's what I do. (But, really, you should look up the nutritional info yourself.)

If I get a sandwich at Subway, I have them rip the good part of the bread out. That usually saves me about 50 calories. I also never get cheese. My sandwich choice lately is the grilled strips Monterey but I sort of de-Monterey it. It's usually just the bread, grilled chicken strips, some veggies and a bit of mustard. That runs me about 250 calories for a 6 inch. Or I'll get a grilled chicken strips salad with sweet onion sauce as the dressing on the side. Or, if I'm really short on time, I get a double order of the chicken strips and some mustard for dipping. Really good calories to protein ratio there.

Any other place, I get a side salad and some sort of grilled chicken. It usually runs me under 200 calories. I prefer to eat light during the day and eat most of my calories at night.

It's a good idea to check out the restaurant's websites for nutritional information. It's really easy to go crazy at places like Chipotle and knowing what you want and how many calories you're willing to have it for helps in those situations.

For dinner, I stick with cottage cheese or greek yogurt and mix pb2 in them. When I'm out of my jars of pb2, I'll start mixing in protein powder. I also have some cut up cantalope (that you can buy cut up) or any other kind of fruit. I also nuke eggs. I eat other things but they're really on the my moderation is not anybody else's moderation side. :)

• Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Find something that you like or that you can tolerate eating daily, and eat it everyday the same foods for breakfast lunch and dinner then there is no calorie counting or guessing.