feeling judged

2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    Is this another post about mind reading? I love mind reading posts!

I already knew you loved mind reading posts.

R u an empath too?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Ita definitely rewarding to own your business. I make a ton more than I would working for someone else. But, you gotta put the work in...which is what I'm doing. Mentally it leaves me exhausted and I'm just dead at the end of each day. I don't stay up late, usually in bed by 9/9:30pm, wake up by 6:30am. So this 5am feels good until 2pm, then I'm even more tired than I normally would be! I think I'm going to take the suggestion of working out during lunch hour, or I could sneak out at 5pm and get in an hour of workout.

Thanks guys for your input. A friend at the class just texted me "ready for a 5am workout?" And I want to respond NO

Do it!
    There's plenty of ways you can fit in mini-workouts at work. If you have time during lunch, take a short walk on site. Help with heavy lifting. Keep moving when you can. There's no need to wake up early to work out if you know it's going to make you miserable and be unsustainable in the long run.

Work out when you can; right now, focus on a calorie deficit. You can still lose weight without working out.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Job wise I own my business. Start at 7am and usually am done around 6, sometimes 6:30pm. I have employees but my business is still in the beginning stages and although I make a good income, I cannot simply reduce my hours just yet. So, I kinda like my employer :)
    That's funny. re: ..like my employer. :)

• WeAreSageMode
    WeAreSageMode Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2015
    What would I do? Well people are going to judge me either way - its human nature. Its up to me to decide what I do with their judgement. The way I see it, if they are my friends then they probably want the best for me (or what they think is the best for me). I wont question that.

The real question is: What do you want to do? You came in here listing reasons why you cant do it, why you shouldnt do it, and what it would mean if you did do it. If you dont want to do it for those reason then dont. Noone is forcing you. But if you are basing it on our reasonings and what you think your friends think about you than you are doing it wrong.

Back to the question. What would I do? You are but 2 weeks in. Give it another few weeks to make a judgement. Give your time for your mind, your body, your spirit to adapt. Your friends probably need you just as much as you need them. I dont give up on friends. Make whatever adjustments necessary. If it doesnt work out then it doesnt work out. But at least I made that decision on my own.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Worrying about what others think about you is how many people fall into emotional pits. Exercise if for fitness and health. So is rest and sleep. So you need to find out what works with you and your schedule and not fret whether or not others agree with how you take care of you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2015
    sastruga99 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about your job, but I would look for an employer who values your health.

Most employers, when it comes right down to it, don't really care if you work in corporate America.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2015
    Ita definitely rewarding to own your business. I make a ton more than I would working for someone else. But, you gotta put the work in...which is what I'm doing. Mentally it leaves me exhausted and I'm just dead at the end of each day. I don't stay up late, usually in bed by 9/9:30pm, wake up by 6:30am. So this 5am feels good until 2pm, then I'm even more tired than I normally would be! I think I'm going to take the suggestion of working out during lunch hour, or I could sneak out at 5pm and get in an hour of workout.

Thanks guys for your input. A friend at the class just texted me "ready for a 5am workout?" And I want to respond NO

I would agree with a couple other posters, can you give it a few weeks to make 5 AM a habit. You're sleeping 9+ hours a night. Sure some people need that, but 7-9 is usually considered "normal". If you can adapt to less sleep you will have time to workout at the class or another time during the day.

Best of luck.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    If you want to do it, you'll find a way to make it fit.

On the other hand, you shouldn't be shamed into doing it, or otherwise socially pressured. If that shame element, or pressurisation disappears, what keeps you turning up and killing it regularly then? You need to find something you can stick with given your schedule and something you can feel positively towards (so you keep sticking to it).
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    You have to do what suits your lifestyle, or it will all get too hard. I simply will not exercise in the morning, I hate it. It leaves me exhausted and fretful that I have to get up. So I do it at lunch times and in the evenings. If these women judge you, even knowing that you would long hours, then they arent worth your bother.

This! I can't workout in the morning because I need that extra sleep! Who cares what ppl think! I workout at night because it is what works best for me.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Starting a new business is stressful......know what relieves stress? That's right....activity. I personally love my 5 AM workouts because it's a different crowd at the gym. Less crowded and more dedicated if you know what I mean. Find something you enjoy and will look forward to.....what about swimming? A great way to come down after a stressful day and ensure a great sleep. Good luck :)
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Why would you keep doing something you are not getting enjoyment out of? Just quit.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Do what is right for you! If you are not enjoying it; how could anyone possibly expect you to do it? Working out is not just about losing weight. It is about finding something you enjoy so you can be healthy for your whole life not just until you lose that 15 lbs or whatever the goal is. Just remember this is for you not them!!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Worry about the diet.
    Workout from home when you can. If you kill yourself trying to get to this class, you'll throw in the towel.
    I would definitely flee from a class where people were monitoring my comings and goings (ick!)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    I hate waking up at 5am to workout. I'm TIRED. I work 11 hour days so I honestly need the sleep. I have drastically changed my diet and have added in workouts and in 2 weeks have lost 8lbs. But, if I keep missing this class the women in the class and the instructor I feel judge me because they're friends/neighbors. I guess my question is, what would you do? I have zero energy at the end of my day to workout and 5am is too early.

Workout at a different time.

There is nothing on earth that would get me up for a 5 am class ... just simply not going to happen.

Well, OK ... maybe if you were to pay me an immense amount of money, so much I could quit work and just do those 5 am classes, then I might think about it.

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Are you really being judged or is it your own perception based on you may be feeling because you aren't exercising? No reason you should be at 5am unless you want, but do you plan to and don't carry through, hence feel bad, hence feel judged?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member

Good job on running your own business. :)

And I would do the workout at lunch (I walk 30+ minutes just about every lunch) or if you can get in an hour at 5 pm, do that.

Even a nice casual walk after work to wind down might be nice.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Grow up and stop worrying about other peoples opinions.

Work out when it is best for you. When you wow them with your new svelte figure they will be speechless.

• chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    You have to do what suits your lifestyle, or it will all get too hard. I simply will not exercise in the morning, I hate it. It leaves me exhausted and fretful that I have to get up. So I do it at lunch times and in the evenings. If these women judge you, even knowing that you would long hours, then they arent worth your bother.

This! I can't workout in the morning because I need that extra sleep! Who cares what ppl think! I workout at night because it is what works best for me.

Ditto...I wake up every morning at 5am for work, work 8 hours a day, and commute approximately 3 hours a day. I workout when I get home in the evenings. I don't pressure myself to do much more during the week because there are limits what people can do. People tell me to workout in the mornings so I can get it over with and have the evenings to rest. I cannot get up any earlier then 5am..I need my sleep in the a.m. Do what you can; at least you are doing something. :)
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Read The Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss, at least for inspiration about how to own a business without killing yourself. It might give you some good ideas for becoming more efficient with your work time. And figure out a better time/place/way to work out that gives you energy va sapping it. Ignore the haters.