How sugar affects me

Options

Replies

• tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    const1ar wrote: »
    There is a documentary on child obesity on netflix that shows a lot of evidence that the food guidelines were tampered with and are allowing for more sugar consumption than healthy. According to scientific study the actual amount of suger an individual should consume is 10% of your intake calories. I suggest you all take a look.

You're talking about Fed Up. Please see my previous comment on that movie.
  • const1ar
    const1ar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    I'd suggest to each and every one of you to watch the documentary "fed up" on Netflix. Very eye opening. Whether or not you agree with sugar as an addiction, it's better to not be ignorant about it.

Ahh yes food documentaries meant to push an agenda. Derp

On the contrary, the government pushes its own agenda you sheep. Documentaries are typically made by people who actually care to educate people not sell products.
  • tdatsenko
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Here's my experiment. I baked a pan of brownies. I ate one. I wrapped the rest in foil and put them away.

I felt fine after I ate it.

The end.

This was after years of telling myself I was addicted to sugar, eating too much sugar made me feel like crap, and I never used to be able to stop at just eating one brownie. A pan of brownies? The whole thing or bust.

It's never the food, it's always you.

That's my experiment as well, so does our 2 trump his 1?

I ate a box of pita chips on Sunday. Pita is super addictive even though the whole box only had 17g of sugar.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest to each and every one of you to watch the documentary "fed up" on Netflix. Very eye opening. Whether or not you agree with sugar as an addiction, it's better to not be ignorant about it.

So, to not be ignorant about it, you recommend watching a fear mongering mockumentary with an agenda....seems legit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    There is a documentary on child obesity on netflix that shows a lot of evidence that the food guidelines were tampered with and are allowing for more sugar consumption than healthy. According to scientific study the actual amount of suger an individual should consume is 10% of your intake calories. I suggest you all take a look.
    Look up Brazil. They consume more sugar per capita than the US. By logical fallacy, they should be even more obese than the US. They're not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

On the contrary, the government pushes its own agenda you sheep. Documentaries are typically made by people who actually care to educate people not sell products.

If you believe that I got some bad news for you
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Lol - no.
  • tdatsenko
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Lol - no.

No bro, we're sheep since we don't blindly believe anything we watch.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I made a batch of cupcakes, 12 of them. This was on Friday. It's Tuesday now and I have three of them left (shared them with others on Saturday). When I do eat one, I enjoy the taste of it and feel fine afterward. My experiment seems in line with several others on this thread and not your one experiment. There's a difference between your physical reaction to sugar and the mental game you are playing with yourself with regards to eating it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Congrats on learning Something about how you and your body and your brain work. Now work with that! Congrats.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Congrats on learning Something about how you and your body and your brain work. Now work with that! Congrats.

Seriously.... it was one time of eating sugar. Doesn't work like that. If OP had eaten some fruit, the same thing should have happened. Ridiculous.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Yes, it MUST have been the sugar!

Lets completely ignore the potential of having a sensitivity to wheat, gluten, soy, or any other common allergen that might have been in the food.

I have a sensitivity to soy. When I eat soy, I get a reaction much like you do.

But lets not think critically. It's definitely the sugar.

Derp post is derp. Also, gotta love the flag spammers.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Interestingly enough, I got my glucose number down from the pre-diabetic range and back into the normal range, and I eat quite a bit of sugar, both naturally occurring and added. More than the 'recommended' 10% for sure. The only change I made to my diet was I started eating at a calorie deficit and lost poundage. Also been successfully maintaining for over two years now. Go figure.

My glucose stats:
    2012: 120 range (at almost 180lbs)
    2013: 89 (as I began transitioning into maintenance)
    May 19, 2015: 86 (maintaining an almost 60lb loss for two years now)

Rest of my blood work is great too, blood pressure great, no health problems/medications etc etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I was eating a porkchop while watching the Warriors lose last night. I've never had porkchops watching a Warriors game. Never again.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png[/quote]
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    For the past few weeks I have been restricting my intake of sugar. I am not just talking about "added sugar" but sugar in general. While there may be differences in sugars (fructose, glucose, etc) it is more practical for me to treat them as the same.

Yesterday I was out with my family and in the spirit of having a good time I had suggested we get some Cinnamon Delights from Taco Bell. If you haven't tried them, don't - they're are delicious. It was an experiment to test the theory that all calories are basically equal.

With my first taste of sugary treat, my ability to control my eating diminished. I ended up eating 10 of them when I had only planned on eat 2 or 3. They are small but loaded with sugar and fat.

Soon after, I felt my energy and motivation to move dropped. I felt terrible and had trouble focusing. I believe it was the sharp contrast to a low sugar diet I was noticing. When I consumed sugar on a regular basis I probably felt that way all the time and thought it was normal.

Some people get really defensive about the studies that show that sugar is unhealthy or even toxic. They imply that there is a unfair attack on sugar. Well I was just as skeptical but I chose to try and reduce my intake of sugar and see what happens. What I've experienced appears to confirm what the studies have shown and that is that sugar has both long term and short term negative effects on the body and mind.

Some argue that sugar is an enjoyable part of life. For me that feeling of succumbing to mindless craving is terrible. The short term and long term effects of high sugar consumption are not enjoyable.

I can eat sugary food without then binging on them quite easily. This is just a long winded post about your own lack of self control and how you're trying to pass it off as something else rather than just admit you wanted the nice, tasty thing and then you wanted all of the nice, tasty things. Blaming sugar will teach you nothing about portion control.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I was eating a porkchop while watching the Warriors lose last night. I've never had porkchops watching a Warriors game. Never again.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    [/quote]

Oh no! Is my gelato the reason the Blackhawks lost? Because a Stanley Cup isn't worth giving up the Talenti goodness.
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You people are laughable.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You people are laughable.

Oh? Do tell.