Burpees - yay or nay

Options
I bet burpees make many of you groan and wince. They are considered one of the best body-weight exercises, though. But is that really so? For example, they impact my lower back - I can feel it bend when jumping into a plank.
Here is one negative view on burpees that I found: http://blogs.denverpost.com/fitness/2013/12/02/burpees-the-exercise-you-should-never-do-again/13492/.
What do you think?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You can get hurt doing any exercise.

The end.
  • ishepelska
    ishepelska Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    You can get hurt doing any exercise.

The end.

That's eye opening!
  • ishepelska
    Options
    There are some exercises where keeping your form is easier. Some are lower impact. Some are made for people with different fitness levels. But burpees seem to be considered an all-inclusive move, and that's where my doubts are coming from.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I did burpees in the military and it was beneficial for the exact reason mentioned in the article. we didn't do a million burpees like you see people doing in "bootcamps" and crossfit boxes...it was a low volume exercise due to the fact that they are exhausting and you quickly lose form.

I personally don't see any reason to really do them and I don't do them...I'm pretty damned healthy and fit and I haven't done a burpee in about 20 years. I personally think the whole crossfit craze and gym boot camp craze has stupified a lot of fitness. Doing high volume work with technical movements just seems stupid to me...
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I don't really see how a burpee places any more strain on your knees and back than any other exercise. His article didn't really explain that either.

That said, I hate burpees and if I can get away with not ever doing another one in my life, that would be fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    I don't really see how a burpee places any more strain on your knees and back than any other exercise. His article didn't really explain that either.

That said, I hate burpees and if I can get away with not ever doing another one in my life, that would be fine.

when you watch people do burpees, watch how quickly they lose form...they usually start off looking pretty good, but quickly lose form...when you lose form, it is common sense IMO to stop doing the work. Unfortunately, "bootcamps" and crossfit boxes tend to emphasize volume over proper form.

It's not that the exercise is inherently "bad"...it's that people think they're crushing it with high volume and *kitten* form...when in reality they are just risking injury and being tards...
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't love them, but don't hate them either. I do throw some in my workouts though, but not every workout.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Burpees are meant to engage the"snap in your knees and lower back" to get you back into standing position and repeat the exercise... if you are prone to back issues don't do them..
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love them. I have no back pain when I do them, and I stop when I feel my form suffering.
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DirrtyH wrote: »

when you watch people do burpees, watch how quickly they lose form...they usually start off looking pretty good, but quickly lose form...when you lose form, it is common sense IMO to stop doing the work. Unfortunately, "bootcamps" and crossfit boxes tend to emphasize volume over proper form.

It's not that the exercise is inherently "bad"...it's that people think they're crushing it with high volume and *kitten* form...when in reality they are just risking injury and being tards...

That's a good point.
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There are few things I hate more than burpees. The entire process feels awkward and difficult to me. I avoid them at all costs. I'll do mountainclimbers all day, but burpees no thanks!
  • ishepelska
    Options
    cbills65 wrote: »
    The entire process feels awkward and difficult to me.

Yes. Awkward is the word.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    I wish I could have better form. I mostly do workout videos, and it's usually fast-paced with not too many reps. I always want to push myself to do all the moves well, but feel like walking burpees may be the way to go. Or a completely different move instead.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    ishepelska wrote: »
    I wish I could have better form. I mostly do workout videos, and it's usually fast-paced with not too many reps. I always want to push myself to do all the moves well, but feel like walking burpees may be the way to go. Or a completely different move instead.

I have found that if I do moves I really really hate, my form super suffers. Might be worth it to trade mountain climbers or jump squats, or a combo of the two.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I despise burpees. That said, I have been tinkering with doing just a few reps as explosively as I can, especially at the push up part where it allows me to get my feet under me quickly and easily.
  • ishepelska
    Options
    I have found that if I do moves I really really hate, my form super suffers. Might be worth it to trade mountain climbers or jump squats, or a combo of the two.

Haha, that might be true. You're subconsciously trying to get through the move faster, so the form suffers.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ahhh the memories of burpees after burpees 100's at a time.

The biggest problem I see is beginners move through the exercise at warp speed with seriously poor form. Then they try to 50 or 100 of them at a time. Until your body is used to the movement and you have good form use a moderately slow movement rhythm emphasizing good hand placement, a good kick out, good foot placement before you attempt the final jump, during the four count and just do 10 reps to start with and then move on to the next movement in your rotation.

Here is a quick video clip on doing the best burpee that I've seen in awhile https://youtube.com/watch?v=Pf7wZvraWV0 & https://youtube.com/watch?v=tJrdJBWBu08. Doing burpees this way should alleviate that back pain you are experiencing.

I usually do the push-up and the jump at the end. I also add an extra, alternating leg movement to the side and off the ground that makes it a bit more difficult. That however is a much more advanced movement and takes practice.

In closing, is it possible to do 50 or 100 reps? Yes, once you have worked your way up to it. As for me I always hated doing arm circle on a 4 count for 50 reps to the sides and out front. After having done 100's of push-ups, mountain climbers and burpees.

Good Luck Hope That Helps!
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THEM!!!! and....there's 1000 ways to modify/change them to make them harder! AWESOME total body move!
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    ewhsweets wrote: »
    I LOVE THEM!!!! and....there's 1000 ways to modify/change them to make them harder! AWESOME total body move!

1000 ways to modify a burpee, but only 50 ways to leave your lover? Sounds suspicious to me.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    ishepelska wrote: »

Yep, walk them out if that fixes your form. You actually have to have pretty good hustle to walk out as quickly as the instructor is jumping them.

With videos, you just have to work up to them. Don't try to match them 100% from the get-go. If you could do every rep and set with perfect form and pace and such, the video wouldn't be challenging enough for you, and you'd have to go looking for a video you can't do perfectly. So go at the pace that is safe for you, regardless of the instructor's pace. And if you can't keep form, stop, or modify (like walking out).