Is it possible to loose 50lbs. in 6 months?

Options
I have struggled with loosing weight since high school. I have tried many methods, and the only method that worked was when i joined weight watchers. There was something about weighing in every week that kept me motivated, but now that i am a mother of 3 i need to step back on track, and start loosing weight. Is it possible to loose 50lbs. In 6 months? What methods do you use to give fast results?

Replies

• stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Its very possible. That time period isn't about "fast" results. Two pounds a week is a very attainable goal. I lost over 60 pounds in 6 months by focusing on proper nutrition (not salads and starvation) and P90X. My wife lost over 30 in that same time.

If you're looking for accountability find a group here or on facebook that supports you and offers the accountability you're looking for.
  • Portly_Priest_no_more
    Options
    Possible? probably. That's only about 2 pounds a week. But it maybe not recommended. I'm not always sure that fast is best, but I wish you well if that is your aim. For me, a slow and steady progress is the way to go. It is the development of the habit that keeps me going. I relish in the fact that each week I can knock off another pound or so off my weight, knowing that I'm also learning discipline as I go. Best wishes
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why do you need "fast results"? Where's the fire? Did you put on 50 pounds in 6 months? I doubt it. Why do you need to take it off any faster? Be fair to your body, and give it time to make changes. It'll only help you in the long run, and increases your chances of keeping the weight off long-term.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    After my 3rd child I lost 40 lbs in 7 months (that was not counting the weight I lost in the first few weeks after delivery, btw). And I wasn't terribly strict about it, so yeah, it's probably do-able, so long as you really have that much weight to lose. For me losing 40 lbs put me right in the middle of the recommended range for my height. Had I been shooting for the low end it would have undoubtedly taken longer.
  • crystaljra99
    crystaljra99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Its very possible. That time period isn't about "fast" results. Two pounds a week is a very attainable goal. I lost over 60 pounds in 6 months by focusing on proper nutrition (not salads and starvation) and P90X. My wife lost over 30 in that same time.

If you're looking for accountability find a group here or on facebook that supports you and offers the accountability you're looking for.

Thank you. I will look for that. :)
  • mp7nyc
    mp7nyc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Contrary to some posts here 2Lbs a week is a very attainable and healthy goal. I lost at that rate with my Drs approval and as the guidelines of Weight Watchers recommended. Proper diet and moderate excerise is a must.
  • crystaljra99
    Options
    Possible? probably. That's only about 2 pounds a week. But it maybe not recommended. I'm not always sure that fast is best, but I wish you well if that is your aim. For me, a slow and steady progress is the way to go. It is the development of the habit that keeps me going. I relish in the fact that each week I can knock off another pound or so off my weight, knowing that I'm also learning discipline as I go. Best wishes

Thank you.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    yes absolutely

29509743.png
  • crystaljra99
    Options
    Why do you need "fast results"? Where's the fire? Did you put on 50 pounds in 6 months? I doubt it. Why do you need to take it off any faster? Be fair to your body, and give it time to make changes. It'll only help you in the long run, and increases your chances of keeping the weight off long-term.

I will be going to visit my husbands family in december, and wverytime we have gone i am bigger then the last time.
  • crystaljra99
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    It depends how fat you are, the fatter you are, the quicker you can lose.

How do you determine that? I am a size 14-16. Going on 2xl.Last time i weighed myself i was at the weight i was before giving birth 192lbs.
  • crystaljra99
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    After my 3rd child I lost 40 lbs in 7 months (that was not counting the weight I lost in the first few weeks after delivery, btw). And I wasn't terribly strict about it, so yeah, it's probably do-able, so long as you really have that much weight to lose. For me losing 40 lbs put me right in the middle of the recommended range for my height. Had I been shooting for the low end it would have undoubtedly taken longer.

How did you do it? Was their a meal plan you followed?
  • crystaljra99
    Options
    mp7nyc wrote: »
    Contrary to some posts here 2Lbs a week is a very attainable and healthy goal. I lost at that rate with my Drs approval and as the guidelines of Weight Watchers recommended. Proper diet and moderate excerise is a must.

Thank you. Happy that there is hope.
  • crystaljra99
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    yes absolutely

29509743.png

Wow 101lbs! Congratulations. What tips do you have to share?
  • Vanessa6122
    Vanessa6122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi,

It is possible but you have to be committed to it at all times. I've lost 25 pounds in 3 months and am looking to lose 25-30 more. I find that what has helped me the most is pre-planning and logging my meals on here before they even enter my mouth. I'm constantly pushing myself every week to go harder on the exercising. At first I only exercised 3 times a week max. Now I've had to step it up to five as I had started to plateau. Just keep pushing yourself, forgive yourself for a screwup and learning what works best for you.

Good luck!
  • crystaljra99
    Options
    Hi,

It is possible but you have to be committed to it at all times. I've lost 25 pounds in 3 months and am looking to lose 25-30 more. I find that what has helped me the most is pre-planning and logging my meals on here before they even enter my mouth. I'm constantly pushing myself every week to go harder on the exercising. At first I only exercised 3 times a week max. Now I've had to step it up to five as I had started to plateau. Just keep pushing yourself, forgive yourself for a screwup and learning what works best for you.

Good luck!

Thank you so much. Im so happy to have joined this community.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    consistency with logging, drinking plenty of water and walking is how I did it; now it is just body recomp and maintaining. Good luck on your journey
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is about the max you want to try to lose. any faster, and your skin doesnt have time for the elasticity to snap back into shape and you end up with loose skin.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think you could do it if you really committed. In saying that, it doesn't really matter if you don't reach that 50lb loss by December, because you'll still have lost something, and you'll still feel good going to see your in-laws. So just get started now, and by December you'll feel great either way.
  • littlechichend
    littlechichend Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi crystaljra99. I think with the right dietary changes, losing 50lbs in 6 months is totally doable. Have you heard of the keto diet? It's basically limiting your carbohydrates to 20-30g per day so that your body metabolizes fat for energy (specifically, ketones). I've just started keto 8 days ago and lost 2lbs already (probably water weight, but still). I've known people go keto and lose 50+ lbs in much less than 6 months. I actually met a patient (EMT) who went on a low-carb type diet and lost 120lbs in a year. Something to consider.