Is it possible to loose 50lbs. in 6 months?

Options

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes. But realistically, practically, no, most people aren't able to lose at a consistent rate of 1.92 pounds per week for six months (50lbs/26 weeks).

Instead of focusing on a specific amount of pounds to lose by a specific date (so you won't be "bigger than the last time"), just focus on developing an achievable, consistent calorie deficit along with a consistent exercise routine that includes some cardio and some resistance training. In other words, change your lifestyle for yourself so that you are healthier and happier.

If your only reason for doing this is so that you can impress your husband's family, then, in the end, you will likely end up feeling disappointed with your achievement, however large or small.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I hate date setting for weight loss goals. OP what happens if you don't reach your goal weight? How about just eating at reasonable deficit and move more equals a healthy weight loss!!

I lost 121 pound in 2 years 9 months, but it was healthy weight loss, slow and steady, now maintaining for 8 months now. :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 70lbs in 6 months. I started WW online (no meetings) and logged in every morsel that entered my mouth. I religiously stayed in my allowed points. I think already being a (slow) long distance runner & cyclist helped me lost that much weight that fast.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    After my 3rd child I lost 40 lbs in 7 months (that was not counting the weight I lost in the first few weeks after delivery, btw). And I wasn't terribly strict about it, so yeah, it's probably do-able, so long as you really have that much weight to lose. For me losing 40 lbs put me right in the middle of the recommended range for my height. Had I been shooting for the low end it would have undoubtedly taken longer.

How did you do it? Was their a meal plan you followed?

I used low carb. I cut my carbs down to about 80 g per day - mostly from veggies, whole dairy, and seeds and nuts. I increased my fat intake so my macros were about 70/20/10 (fat, protein, carbs). I found that curbed my appetite, and removed cravings, so I could easily feel satisfied on 1400-1600 cal per day. I didn't find it necessary to do an "induction" period, and I allowed myself one "cheat meal" per week (two per week as I got closer to goal). Once I was looking to maintain I introduced a few more carbs (100-120 g per day) and my macros became more like 60/20-30/10-20. I didn't increase exercise while doing this. Had I been more strict wrt cheat meals, and had I paid more attention to calories and/or upped my activity I think I could have lost the weight faster, but I wasn't in a big hurry.

I still eat low carb. I love the food and love what it does to suppress my appetite and keep my cravings at bay, but really any plan that gives you the necessary deficit will work, just make sure it's something that you like and can stick with! Good luck!

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    yes its very possible, i like you also had a time frame of six month before an upcoming vacation and guess what happened? i didn't lose 50 pounds that i originally wanted to but end it losing like 46-48 lbs witch was greattt and more great while is that while i was on vacation i actually hit the big mark of 50 lbs :smile: , so start today either way is a win win scenario weather you end up losing the 50 lbs or 40 lbs or whatever you lose you are gonna feel and look better.

good luck! hope everything turns out for the best for you
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mp7nyc wrote: »
    Contrary to some posts here 2Lbs a week is a very attainable and healthy goal. I lost at that rate with my Drs approval and as the guidelines of Weight Watchers recommended. Proper diet and moderate excerise is a must.

and how so? to the bolded?

If I set mine for 2lbs a week I would be at 1000-1200 calories a day...that is not enough food for me...

My maintenance in the winter is 2000 a day...to lose 2lbs a week would be 1k deficit..

oh and exercise is not required for weight loss...calorie deficit is.

• cyberted
    cyberted Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is. 50# in 6 months was my original goal. Started jan 9 and achieved it on May 22. Less than 5 months. Plan was for 2# a week and I followed that diet/calorie guideline from MFP. Increased exercise made the difference, I think. Still have more to lose but will stick to the plan.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    What methods do you use to give fast results?
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes. Likely if you only have that much to lose? Probably not.
  • neo713
    neo713 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the ketogenic diet? People have great success with it and lose pretty decent amounts of weight. I am only two months in and down 20lbs. I have seen girls easily lose 30+ in the same amount of time.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Back in the 90's I lost 40lbs in 4 months strickly by diet and exercise I stayed at 1000-1200 cal a day. But the minute I stopped keeping track of my calories and stopped exercising and went back to my "OLD" eating habits I gained it all back plus more...so now I'm back at realizing it's a "LIFESTYLE" change.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Yes, it's possible.
    Several factors involved, but it's possible. Since February, I'm averaging about 18 pounds a month.
    However, I am a male (not sure if that matters), I am 6'3" tall, and I began at 286 pounds. I'm 228 or so right now and still dropping, so it is possible.
  • WarDamnJay
    WarDamnJay Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    It is very possible! June 5th will be 6 months for me and I have lost 66lbs so far! Just stick with it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible.
    Several factors involved, but it's possible. Since February, I'm averaging about 18 pounds a month.
    However, I am a male (not sure if that matters), I am 6'3" tall, and I began at 286 pounds. I'm 228 or so right now and still dropping, so it is possible.

how much of that was muscle?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Possible yes, would I put money on you doing it, then no. I think its unlikely.

Just becayse one person has done it, doesnt mean you will be able to and the more you had to lose then the more attainable it is, the less, then the more unlikely. I despair when i see things like fast results and self imposed deadlines.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Yes, it's possible.

This is awesome but you arent really being helpful to the OP are you. The ability of a 286pound man to lose is hardly comparable to a woman with less than 50lbs to lose is it.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    WarDamnJay wrote: »
    It is very possible! June 5th will be 6 months for me and I have lost 66lbs so far! Just stick with it!

Ang what weight did you start at, with how much to lose?
  • crystaljra99
    crystaljra99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi crystaljra99. I think with the right dietary changes, losing 50lbs in 6 months is totally doable. Have you heard of the keto diet? It's basically limiting your carbohydrates to 20-30g per day so that your body metabolizes fat for energy (specifically, ketones). I've just started keto 8 days ago and lost 2lbs already (probably water weight, but still). I've known people go keto and lose 50+ lbs in much less than 6 months. I actually met a patient (EMT) who went on a low-carb type diet and lost 120lbs in a year. Something to consider.
    I never heard of that, but i definetely need to cut the carbs down. Its my weakness.
  • crystaljra99
    crystaljra99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragimg words, tips and support. Cutting carbs of my diet will be a challenge but im willing to do it. I know the chances of getting to my goal may or may not happened but some reaults is better than no results. :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This was my original goal, but I decided to make minor adjustments rather than drastic ones and lost 50 in ~9 months. Start with tracking on MFP and keep up with your friends here and in real life. Make small changes and good substitutions and you'll get there. It took you years to put on the weight, give your body time and it will get there.