Carb & Protien turns into FAT after 7pm...is it true ? I'm scared :(

anniemink
anniemink Posts: 18 Member
I generally sleep late at night
and I feel very hungry at bedtime.
Can anyone suggest some healthy filling snack please !

Replies

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    No that's a myth. It's calories in- calories out. Just put aside 200-300 calories for your late night snack and should be fine. ;)
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    If that were true, I'd be gaining weight instead of losing. Most of my eating is in the middle of the night since I work the night shift several days a week. Total calories in 24 hours is the key it seems.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Meal and calorie timing is nothing more than a preference thing. If you prefer to eat some of your calories in the evening there's nothing wrong with that. Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a deficit. Eat when you want and meet your calorie goals. Simple as that :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Title is not true, insofar as ANY excess calories get turned to fat at ANY time of the day. Content of those calories, nor meal timing don't change that in any meaningful way.

If you're often hungry at bedtime, plan ahead and set aside a couple hundred calories to eat out of your daily goal at that time of day.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    edited May 2015
    I would suggest protein over carbs though... sugar turns into fat, not protein . Or better yet, some veggies and hummus or peanut butter!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited May 2015
    nm212 wrote: »
    I would suggest protein over carbs though... sugar turns into fat, not protein . Or better yet, some veggies and hummus or peanut butter!

Excess anything is stored as fat. You don't add fat mass while eating at a deficit.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Excess calories regardless of nature will be stored as fat.
  • anniemink
    What about some cold milk and nuts ?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    anniemink wrote: »
    What about some cold milk and nuts ?

If they fit your calorie & macro goals, and you like them...sure
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    The only thing that turns to fat is excess calories. As long as you are eating at a deficit you will be alright.
  • anniemink
    I didn't say that...it's not my logic...there's this dietitian who once said so.
    after that I try to avoid Protien and carb at night :(
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    A registered dietician who says that should lose their license.
  • Azexas
    I didn't say that...it's not my logic...there's this dietitian who once said so.

You're dietician is mistaken. Enjoy protein and carbs at night as long as they fit into your daily calorie goal.
  • Azexas
    Hornsby wrote: »
    A registered dietician who says that should lose their license.

also this ^^ I would be half tempted to send their licensing board a heads up.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    wtgtxcanfm90.jpg

• anniemink
    Hahaha...good one :D:D
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    The last 13 pounds I lost was because I found out I could eat more at night. I always tried to not eat after 7 as well (Unfortunately, I got that logic from Cosmo magazine in my 20's so I thought it was true as well) and usually would end up binging. After I found out I could eat after 7 and nothing would happen, I started saving 400 calories every night just to eat before bed. Now I sleep better and I'm losing more weight. It's wonderful.
  • mrbobfranz
    mrbobfranz Posts: 15 Member
    think about it this way, how does your body know what time 7:00pm is? Is that GMT? EST? PST? Honestly your body doesn't care when during the day it receives said calories, carbs or protiens. It just all counts towards your daily "goal" calories.

Track that and you will be on your way to success.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

excess calories turn into fat...

think of your body as a machine...this machine, like any machine requires energy to function. a calorie is a unit of energy...calories are what fuel the machine. when more energy is consumed than than is required for said machine to function optimally and maintain the status quot, that excess energy is stored away for later use...this is your body fat...your body fat is your energy reserves. when you consume less energy than is required for said machine to function optimally, that energy deficiency has to be made up for...you do so by burning stored energy (i.e. body fat).
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Also, you recommend peanut butter so let me ask you this, if we went by your logic, what would be more likely to be stored as fat, fat or carbs?

Depends on whether the subject is in deficit or not, in a high carbohydrate diet or not. Far too simple a scenario to give a proper answer.

This is interesting reading though.

[1] Reduced oxidation of dietary fat after a short term high-carbohydrate diet
    Rachel Roberts1, Alex S Bickerton1, Barbara A Fielding1, Ellen E Blaak1, Anton J Wagenmakers1, Mary F-F Chong1, Marjorie Gilbert1, Fredrik Karpe1, and Keith N Frayn1

In general, eating fat does not make you fat.