Vanity Pounds

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you wnat to look better and boost your vanity then go and lift some weights.
  • lamommy13
    lamommy13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You're vegetarian but don't eat carbs... So what do you eat?

I don't eat much in the way of bread or pasta is what I meant. I tend to eat vegies, beans, tofu, eggs and dairy.
  • lamommy13
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »
    Obviously a 300 calorie deficit is more than you can handle. Be less aggressive. Go with a smaller deficit, like 150. It's difficult to lose those last five pounds. Settle for 1-2 pounds a month. Focus more on how your clothes fit than what the scale says.

And is your goal 109 or 99 pounds? You said 5 pounds, but others are talking about you being under weight and wanting to reach 99 pounds. 109 pounds at 5'4" is not under weight, although it is rather lean and may be too little for some people, but 99 pounds would definitely be under weight.

Precisely. 109 is not underweight. It's on the low end, but it's the weight at which I am comfortable. I am going by my clothes on only check my weight when I am noticing a difference. Having a less aggressive deficit seems wise.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    lamommy13 wrote: »
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Is it the number you want lower or are you unhappy with the way you look? 114 is fairly low for 5'4. If you have very little muscle, I'd work on that. I'd go back to maintenance, or perhaps just under it, cut back cardio a tad and focus on a good weight training program to gain some muscle.

That's mostly it. It seems like I can't get my body fat down. I still have a flabby belly. I have recently started lifting to see if that would help.

Lifting wont help unless you're eating.

Eating plenty. I tend to make up for whatever restricting I have done every 2-3 days. For example, I probably had ~2,100 calories yesterday after a couple of days at ~1,200. I have to figure out a level that will allow me to build muscle without continuing to gain fat.

You're likely going to have to gain a little fat to gain appreciable muscle. Luckily once you've gained the muscle it's easy to cut off the rest of the extra fat, and you can do all of that while still looking good at under 20% BF.
  • lamommy13
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    If you wnat to look better and boost your vanity then go and lift some weights.

Yes. Hoping that helps.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It will help you will look smaller slimmer and better defined. I think everyone would support you lifting becayse its healthier, but they wont support you going underweight.
  • lamommy13
    Options
    It will help you will look smaller slimmer and better defined. I think everyone would support you lifting becayse its healthier, but they wont support you going underweight.

I am not underweight, and neither is my goal weight. Being defined rather than flabby is the goal.
  • lamommy13
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Is it the number you want lower or are you unhappy with the way you look? 114 is fairly low for 5'4. If you have very little muscle, I'd work on that. I'd go back to maintenance, or perhaps just under it, cut back cardio a tad and focus on a good weight training program to gain some muscle.

That's mostly it. It seems like I can't get my body fat down. I still have a flabby belly. I have recently started lifting to see if that would help.

Lifting wont help unless you're eating.

Eating plenty. I tend to make up for whatever restricting I have done every 2-3 days. For example, I probably had ~2,100 calories yesterday after a couple of days at ~1,200. I have to figure out a level that will allow me to build muscle without continuing to gain fat.

You're likely going to have to gain a little fat to gain appreciable muscle. Luckily once you've gained the muscle it's easy to cut off the rest of the extra fat, and you can do all of that while still looking good at under 20% BF.

Well the fat gain part seems to be on schedule. I will see how I do after a few weeks of weight lifting.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

I am not underweight, and neither is my goal weight. Being defined rather than flabby is the goal.

Then focus more on strength training, real strength training instead of the number on the scale. If you want to firm up you have to have some type of muscle. Going lower weight wise isn't going to get rid of your flab.

• KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI, 109 it is about the lowest you would want to be, but it isn't underweight. I do, however, think eating under 1200 calories is unwise. As others have said, just don't eat at such a deficit. It's much harder to lose the weight when it gets lower like that so just take it slowly.

And I too, always have a flabby stomach, no matter how low my weight has gotten so I can totally relate (although I've only gotten to a BMI of 19.6 (109 for you would be 18.7). I think adding in more strength and core work might help.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    5'4 109lbs

Is a bmi of 18.7
  • WHanna123
    WHanna123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I also have a very small frame and I notice that when I am 5 to 10 lbs above my optimal weight for my body, I can sure feel it! All my weight goes to my belly and it pulls on my back and creates a lot of back pain. Even though my BMI is technically "healthy", I need to be on the lower end of that scale to avoid pain and do up my pants!
    I just wanted to share as there seems to be a lot of upset on this thread. skip the forums and find a nutritionist and a personal trainer and make sure that you are getting the advice you need to be healthy and feel good.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    hey now, hey now, let me chime in on this one since i'm the SAME height and weight as OP. I'm also a vegetarian, and i have been at your height/weight both WITH muscle and without muscle.

I know I personally went through the same dilemma. Without muscle and judge being "soft" and "thin" I looked best about 108-112 pounds. The problem i was facing is that it was impossible to maintain this level of "soft feminine" look without eating lower and lower and lower cals every single dang day forever indefinitely. It just wasn't sustainable for me.

So what did i do? I ate around 1700 calories and started lifting weights. I focused on lowering my BODYFAT level and not really the scale anymore.

The end result is a 116 pound physique that looks WAY more "toned" "tight" "lean" that i ever did at 108. AND i get to eat around 18-1900 cals to maintain it.

If you're into the fit look i highly suggest you go the same method I did. I look better, it's easier to maintain, and i dont have to eat perma-low cals to maintain. ;)
  • lamommy13
    Options
    WHanna123 wrote: »
    I also have a very small frame and I notice that when I am 5 to 10 lbs above my optimal weight for my body, I can sure feel it! All my weight goes to my belly and it pulls on my back and creates a lot of back pain. Even though my BMI is technically "healthy", I need to be on the lower end of that scale to avoid pain and do up my pants!
    I just wanted to share as there seems to be a lot of upset on this thread. skip the forums and find a nutritionist and a personal trainer and make sure that you are getting the advice you need to be healthy and feel good.

Exactly my experience (belly and back pain too) and my reaction: find a nutritionist. It's odd how quick people are to point out that people at the high end of the BMI scale can be healthy but refuse to acknowledge that this can also be true of people with low BMI. Not wanting to sport a belly is a completely valid goal.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Get a personal trainer - your goal isn't weight, but one of tone and body composition. Find a good trainer that will work with you or there are tons of IFBB professionals out there with online programs.
  • lamommy13
    Options
    According to the BMI, 109 it is about the lowest you would want to be, but it isn't underweight. I do, however, think eating under 1200 calories is unwise. As others have said, just don't eat at such a deficit. It's much harder to lose the weight when it gets lower like that so just take it slowly.

And I too, always have a flabby stomach, no matter how low my weight has gotten so I can totally relate (although I've only gotten to a BMI of 19.6 (109 for you would be 18.7). I think adding in more strength and core work might help.

Same here. Even at 109, I had a belly. I think weight training is the way to go. The sit ups are already helping, but belly fat is kind of covering my hard work.
  • lamommy13
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    hey now, hey now, let me chime in on this one since i'm the SAME height and weight as OP. I'm also a vegetarian, and i have been at your height/weight both WITH muscle and without muscle.

I know I personally went through the same dilemma. Without muscle and judge being "soft" and "thin" I looked best about 108-112 pounds. The problem i was facing is that it was impossible to maintain this level of "soft feminine" look without eating lower and lower and lower cals every single dang day forever indefinitely. It just wasn't sustainable for me.

So what did i do? I ate around 1700 calories and started lifting weights. I focused on lowering my BODYFAT level and not really the scale anymore.

The end result is a 116 pound physique that looks WAY more "toned" "tight" "lean" that i ever did at 108. AND i get to eat around 18-1900 cals to maintain it.

If you're into the fit look i highly suggest you go the same method I did. I look better, it's easier to maintain, and i dont have to eat perma-low cals to maintain. ;)

Thanks. That's really helpful.
  • lamommy13
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Get a personal trainer - your goal isn't weight, but one of tone and body composition. Find a good trainer that will work with you or there are tons of IFBB professionals out there with online programs.

I've always wanted one, but I don't think I can afford the expense. I think that is a great option though.