Addicted to Iced coffee's,anybody have any healthy Alternatives

Options

Replies

• kevins_world3
    kevins_world3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this, I am addicted to it too! Although I just drink International Delight Iced Mocha from from fridge section. Even the light version is bad. But it is sooooo good!

i hear you,hard to find any healthy drink's these days besides lemon water..
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    I've never been an iced coffee fan. That is, until several months ago (just before starting this journey), when I found cold brew. Now I'm hooked. Cold brew is much, much better than iced coffee, and without the syrups. I don't know what the availability of this stuff is outside of my local region, but if you can find it, try a bottle of Stumptown's Original Cold Brew.

You can get stumptown here in seattle now but I don't know about other parts of the country. Stumptown cold brew is good though.

Stumptown's website (what I linked to) says it's available in retailers across the country. I don't know HOW MANY retailers, though. I would really suggest calling them . . . the stuff is THAT GOOD!

Well if it helps the others around here they have it at Safeway (which in other states is Vons and Ralphs I think)...so it's worth checking for there. At mine its on a refrigerated end-cap with the bottled kombucha and stuff.

Might I suggest just making the trip to Portland and picking up a growler at the brewery? (That's where I discovered it . . . on a hot day, walking through the neighborhood, and my walking partners wanted to stop into the brewery for coffee, because in the NW we drink coffee even on hot days . . .)

That's actually where I tried it for the first time too. Stumptown in Portland...can't remember what the part of town is called. Pearl district? Is there a stumptown there?

My wife and I get down to Portland at least once per year usually and I always make a point to stop at a few places (stumptown, voodoo, rogue, etc...)

It's actually just outside of the Pearl District. A couple blocks SW of there. In Portland if you walk 3 blocks, you're in a new neighborhood. (And the borders don't seem to be very well-defined, either, so my 'Pearl District' might be a tad different than somebody else's 'Pearl District')
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've never been an iced coffee fan. That is, until several months ago (just before starting this journey), when I found cold brew. Now I'm hooked. Cold brew is much, much better than iced coffee, and without the syrups. I don't know what the availability of this stuff is outside of my local region, but if you can find it, try a bottle of Stumptown's Original Cold Brew.

You can get stumptown here in seattle now but I don't know about other parts of the country. Stumptown cold brew is good though.

Stumptown's website (what I linked to) says it's available in retailers across the country. I don't know HOW MANY retailers, though. I would really suggest calling them . . . the stuff is THAT GOOD!

Well if it helps the others around here they have it at Safeway (which in other states is Vons and Ralphs I think)...so it's worth checking for there. At mine its on a refrigerated end-cap with the bottled kombucha and stuff.

Might I suggest just making the trip to Portland and picking up a growler at the brewery? (That's where I discovered it . . . on a hot day, walking through the neighborhood, and my walking partners wanted to stop into the brewery for coffee, because in the NW we drink coffee even on hot days . . .)

That's actually where I tried it for the first time too. Stumptown in Portland...can't remember what the part of town is called. Pearl district? Is there a stumptown there?

My wife and I get down to Portland at least once per year usually and I always make a point to stop at a few places (stumptown, voodoo, rogue, etc...)

It's actually just outside of the Pearl District. A couple blocks SW of there. In Portland if you walk 3 blocks, you're in a new neighborhood. (And the borders don't seem to be very well-defined, either, so my 'Pearl District' might be a tad different than somebody else's 'Pearl District')

Yeah I think that's why it gets confusing lol.

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

My local market just started stocking Stumptown's. Holy moly. So good. I like that one and Secret Squirrel.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    kbairos3 wrote: »
    I have a bad habit drinking iced coffee's from dunkin donuts ,if anybody has any healthy alternatives i would love to hear them..thanks!

It's important to remember that coffee itself is actually very low in calories, it's the stuff we put in it that makes it worse. How do you take it?

If you go skim milk and Splenda, it's roughly 30-50 calories for an XL. Im Huge coffee fan! I used to always get cream and sugar at DD and at home every morning id have two big cups. I thought I'd ever give up taking my coffee the sweet way but I got tired of wasting the calories. I reduced the amount I put in, then opted for Splenda over sugar. Eventually started using skim milk. Believe it or not, I don't have any desire to go back. I had a cheat day a while back where I got it the old C/S way and thought eh not much difference. I highly recommend the switch
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I was drinking them almost daily - I followed the Pioneer Woman's recipe for cold brewed coffee. I'd keep a pitcher in the fridge to last the week. When I didn't care about the calories I used 2 generous spoons of sweetened condensed milk and a healthy splash of half and half. I really think the sweetened condensed milk was the key to make it feel coffee-house delicious.

When I was more conscious of the calories, I switched to equal and half and half. Now, I've cut back on coffee and the cup or two I do drink, I drink black.
  • lilmisscrabby
    lilmisscrabby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with Starbucks, so I finally made the best iced coffee with 30 calories ,I use mr coffee machine that takes the I cups , I do big cup of ice in a tumbler and put the brewed cup of coffee and I added one trivia sugar packet and 2 tablespoons of sugar free hazelnut creamer powdered mix it all up and it is really yummy and sweet and taste like a coffee shop
  • jenangell
    jenangell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I share that same bad habit !
  • Lesleymoser
    Lesleymoser Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make fresh brewed coffee at night and stick it in the fridge. Then in the morning I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder. You could do that with ice in a blender and make it a mocha frap. Add nut butter or vanilla or cinnamon or almond extract.... I could think of a million ways to make it. Yum!
  • KHatfield3115
    KHatfield3115 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to iced coffee from starbucks but now I get black iced tea with to sweetner. It's really good!
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I make fresh brewed coffee at night and stick it in the fridge. Then in the morning I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder. You could do that with ice in a blender and make it a mocha frap. Add nut butter or vanilla or cinnamon or almond extract.... I could think of a million ways to make it. Yum!

I LOVE the idea of using protein powder to make a mocha! Why didn't I think of that??? Do you find that this needs to be sweetened?
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    IMO the trick to really good home made iced coffee is vanilla essence (not extract) and to make sure the drink is absolutely ice cold. Ice cubes help too, but mostly for the "im drinking iced coffee" feeling. :p
  • xyentruocx
    xyentruocx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you get a medium iced @ DD w/ splenda and skim milk you'll drastically cut the calories. Cream and sugar are HUGE calories... coffee itself has hardly any.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I LOVE the idea of using protein powder to make a mocha! Why didn't I think of that??? Do you find that this needs to be sweetened?

I find the flavoured/sweetened protein provides enough sweetness to not need any more.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I always make my chocolate protein shakes (Wonderslim Aspartame free) with cold coffee, cinnamon and nutmeg, throw in a few ice cubes and shake it all up (If you use a blender and more ice it will be thicker). You can also add unsweetened vanilla almond milk for a nice creamy taste:)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Click Mocha espresso protein powder definitely scratches my iced coffee itch.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    black iced coffee with a scoop of protein powder, in a shaker. I use Trutein Cinnabun. No sweeteners or dairy needed, just the powder, comes out sweet and creamy.