Pushups???

Options
2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    Is doing an incline somewhere in between a "girl" pushup and a normal one? I find that the "girl" pushups are a little too easy, but a regular one is still way too hard. I'm looking for something in between to help me work up.

An incline would be something like putting your hands on a table or desk rather than flat on the floor. Your feet are on the floor. One way to do this would be to do it on stairs. Each time you get to the point where you can do 10 pushups, move down one step to make it more difficult.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    When I was working on building number of pushups, I would do as many on my toes and then drop to my knees to finish the set. Next set, start on the toes again. It can build quite quickly (relatively speaking) this way. Good luck!

I also did this. Starting having a hard time doing 4x10 knee pushups, and now I can almost do 4x20 regular pushups. Just do as many as you can on your toes and finish the set on your knees. Next workout, try to improve!

• joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Incline push-ups aren't just an easier version of a push-up, they are different altogether. It will work your front delt more and depending on where you let the bench (or whatever you are inclining on) different parts of the chest. If your goal is more push-ups its wall, knee down, and then strict as the progression as far as I know.
  • rupertspenser
    rupertspenser Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Joe is right... you can separate out between kneeling push ups and strict (for example starting at box pushups... and working your knees further and further away till you are at 3/4 push ups) but essentially wall, kneel strict is you best progression.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I did 8 GOOD full form pushups, then dropped to knees and did 20. Would that be 1 set? Should I try to do that twice a day? Do it in the same hour? All the advice has been great so far. I want to push myself, but I also find I need a number to strive for, not just "do it until I can't".
  • rupertspenser
    Options
    ok thats a good start... though i have a question? when you go to knees... are your knees under your hips? or further back?
  • jaqcan
    Options
    ok thats a good start... though i have a question? when you go to knees... are your knees under your hips? or further back?
    They are all the way back
  • rupertspenser
    Options
    ok cool so close to full push ups... then what you need to do is
    do 8 full... rest for 1min ...
    8 full... rest 1min...
    8 full.... rest 1 min...
    then do as many as you can... try for 12 (i know it sounds hard but try it and see how far you can go....
    does this make sense?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing a great job! I agree with the previous poster - try to do 3 sets of 8 with rests in between. Then build up from there.

And yes, you do look like a woman! The other poster could not view profile pics. Wasn't intentional.
  • jaqcan
    Options
    ok cool so close to full push ups... then what you need to do is
    do 8 full... rest for 1min ...
    8 full... rest 1min...
    8 full.... rest 1 min...
    then do as many as you can... try for 12 (i know it sounds hard but try it and see how far you can go....
    does this make sense?

And not do any knee pushups?
  • rupertspenser
    Options
    nope no knee push ups... you are past them now... as you noticed by you do do 20... just focus on full push ups
  • jaqcan
    Options
    nope no knee push ups... you are past them now... as you noticed by you do do 20... just focus on full push ups

Gotcha! Thanks so much!
  • rupertspenser
    Options
    not a problem!! once you get past 15 strict push ups... there are plenty of progressions from there too....
    just keep on working... your getting there!!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I've downloaded the 100 pushups app and going to start tomorrow. Can only do 8 at the moment!
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    please stop calling them "girl" pushups...what they are is a modified push-up and men can modify too
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'd rather women progress from high incline to full push ups without going on their knees. Work until your arms fatigue. Move to a lesser angle as you can.