How much weight did you lose before people started to notice?

Options
124»

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Lost 30 ish kg before people at work commented/congratulated me.
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had lost 20 lbs and nobody noticed! I couldn't believe it. I told my husband "Do you know how fat I must be if no one noticed I lost 20 lbs!". He told me it shows that people don't notice my weight as much as I think they do. It made me realize that I focus way too much on how I look and my friends and family only notice "me" not how I look. Don't do what I did and put it all back on. You're doing great! Keep it up! :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    23 lbs so far and no comments. People may have noticed but didn't say anything or just don't care.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just hit the 16 lb mark and people are starting to comment.
  • marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 so even if I gained weight its hard to tell. But when I first started losing weight it was after the first 20lbs that people saw my clothes falling off me. Everyone is different.

12631917.png
  • radonskies
    radonskies Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm right at the 19-20 pound mark and only my husband has really noticed. I realized that I was still wearing my baggy clothes - that can make a big difference if you hang onto the larger bulky sizes like me!
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    40 lbs and apparently it was only seen from my face :s
  • lzepeda89
    lzepeda89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    34 pounds and in and my friends have yet to say something. However my mother notices my difference so it's always nice to hear that! :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It does depend on your starting weight.

Starting at 280lbs, at 30lbs down a (male) friend of mine mentioned that I should join him at the gym because all the stupid walking I was doing would never even get me to lose 5lbs! In fact, I should let him know if I ever managed to lose anything! :frowning: He is still waiting for that email! :wink:

Most other friends and clients noticed at between 30 and 40lbs.

At 80lbs down the staff at both Safeway and McDonald's asked :smiley:
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    AndiDurall wrote: »
    I've lost 30 and only my husband notices. But I have a lot more to go. I feel the difference and I can see some but not much. I'm kinda hoping nobody really notices though. I really want to walk in to the family Christmas party and have people be really shocked. We don't live very close to family or see them very often so this is kind of one of my little motivations.

That's one of my motivations, as well! There's a dress that I almost fit it - and I know when I wear it to church people will finally notice, as I've been pretty much wearing the same limited wardrobe. This was my motivation to quit smoking as well. I had quit for two full weeks without telling anyone and NOBODY except for my grown daughter even noticed! Now that's sad . . . .
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I'm down 14 kg (about 30 lb) ~ roughly 1/6th of my starting body weight ... and I'm wearing somewhat slimmer clothes ... but no one has given any indication whatsoever that they've noticed a difference.

I figure that ...
    a) it doesn't show yet;
    b) people just don't pay that close attention to each other ... people don't monitor each other's weight that closely;
    c) if they do notice, they're not sure what to say so they don't say anything at all.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I don't notice clothes at ALL. And I assume nobody notices mine. People who see you every day won't notice the pound or two you are losing a week. People who see you every six months will.
  • FatOldGuyFrom614
    FatOldGuyFrom614 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    People you see everyday don't notice because it is gradual. Folks you rarely see will notice a 10% + weight loss.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've lost 6kg (13lb), going down from 97kg (213lb) to 91kg (200lb) and received my first "Have you lost weight?" comment today...
  • malika1976
    malika1976 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't actually find it that pleasant when people say that I've lost weight (31kg or 68 pounds) Most people I know have commented, including all my work mates, family, friends, even people I barely know. I feel quite self-conscious having a discussion about my weight with people I don't know well. I'm also very aware that I've still got a lot to lose.
  • AnotherPuppet
    AnotherPuppet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started noticing at 30
  • 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Everyone who knew I was trying to lose weight said they noticed a difference after 20-30 lbs. I am only 1/3 of the way to my goal, I still have 60 lbs to lose. For reference Iam 5'6. I think My weight is evenly distributed although I have to say my midsection is a little bigger and more noticeable then the other areas.