It's never enough...

Options
BoxerBrawler
BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
I am at a point in my various fitness routines that it's just never enough! I could work out a few times a day and still feel like I need more. I'm not sure if it's a physical or mental thing at this point. I vary my exercise routines so I never get bored and I put forth 100% effort in all of my routines and/or classes. Has this happened to anyone else? I considered the fact that perhaps I am over-trained and need some extended rest and I tried to do that with a little more than a week of rest, aside from walking around. That didn't make a difference. While I am still seeing small results I would expect to have more dramatic results with the exercises I am doing. Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    What are you doing?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You really dont tell us enough about your goals so it can be viewd in context, what are you trying to do? You want dramatic results?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Experience with what? sorry but your post is not that clear...

Do you feel you exercise too much? or that the exercise isn't doing enough?

If it's that the exercise isn't doing enough well lets start with your diary ...with a goal of 1k...*smh*

You are putting in 100% effort with 1k calories...sorry that doesn't work well....that's if you were truly eating 1k..but you don't know for sure as you don't use a food scale...

As well with your diary...on Sunday you have 3 oz of chicken breast logged @98 calories and 20 grams of protein...no...3oz=85grams and per usda that is 167 calories with 25.33 grams of protein. And I suspect your exercise calories are way over...

I suspect you are under estimating calories in and calories out....putting your weight loss in the middle of wrong information.

Same day Zumba 60mins 478 calories, not a chance...I've done zumba...Elliptical 30mins 244 plus fitbit adjustment 908...

did you wear your fitbit during zumba and elliptical? If so you are double dipping on calories.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Change what you are doing...not class "A" vs "B" but really change what you are doing. Your body will get used to the type of work you are doing not exclusively a specific exercise. If the class program is the only way to go then maybe you need to set higher goals for yourself during the class. I know that when I was doing circuit type classes I would feel like I worked hard but when my buddy would show up then I quickly found another gear and would actually feel it later.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Change what you are doing...not class "A" vs "B" but really change what you are doing. Your body will get used to the type of work you are doing not exclusively a specific exercise. If the class program is the only way to go then maybe you need to set higher goals for yourself during the class. I know that when I was doing circuit type classes I would feel like I worked hard but when my buddy would show up then I quickly found another gear and would actually feel it later.

that is so not correct.

If I went by what you are saying the weight lifting I've been doing for 2 years wasn't doing me any good...besides exercise is for health and fitness calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

This ^
    Or you could add weights or go faster. (Edit: Looks like you may be a runner. Have you tried sprinting instead of long distance running?)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I would expect to have more dramatic results with the exercises I am doing.
    What are your expectations regarding "dramatic results" ?
    Lose weight, gain weight (muscle), lower BF%, new time in the 5K, new lifting record...?

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What are your goals? Surely you're not trying to lose weight (judging by your profile picture). If you're working out multiple times per day and eating only 1000 calories you must know that isn't going to gain great results.

And to be honest with you, just the title of your post sounds a bit scary obsessive to me...(not trying to be rude, just honest). I work out an hour a day doing high intensity cardio and weight lifting and aside from walking I do nothing else...I'm pooped and I need rest!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Sorry I was unclear. I'm trying to drop a few additional pounds and get to athlete level body fat percentage.

1,000 is my baseline and I do tend to go over by a couple of hundred a day, I try to stay within a cron type of diet and slowly lower my calories while getting maximum nutrients from the foods that I eat. It's a challenge, not sustainable I know. I'm trying to build additional muscle/tone. For activities I practice MMA and kickboxing, HIIT and various calisthenics, I lift weights 3 to 4 times per week, I dance a couple of times per week. I use the machines (cross ramp elliptical) I walk and sometimes run (interval sprints), I practice barre and legitamate ballet and I do wavemaster and some free-weight classes. Aside from the low calorie range I try to eat to perform in terms of eating the appropriate foods to fuel my daily activities before/after a work out.

What's the deal with over training? Sometimes in my mind I feel like I'm overtraining but my body doesn't feel that way at all. I'm not tired, I look forward to my workouts, I'm able to give a lot of effort, I get plenty of sleep...

In regards to another reply... I don't double dip with my Fitbit. I log all exercise into MFP along with the times/duration of the exercise. Fitbit in their infinite wisdom set up a feed between the two platforms and an auto-feed, to ensure there is no double counting, assuming the person uses only one system with the correct times. It doesn't even count much for boxing since I am mainly in my fighting stance with few steps.

Please... let me know which day I made the horrible, horrible mistake of mis-logging the chicken, I'll fix it quick, fast and in a hurry. What a terrible nightmare!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So you eat 1200 calories a day whilst doing all that physical activity and you think you're not heading into a dangerous place? You certainly can't build muscle in a deficit that isn't even covering what you need for your body to carry out normal basic functions. I find this post pretty scary.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/131737-basics-cron-diet/

This is an excerpt:
    Potential Risks
    Calorie restriction may result in a wide range of negative side effects, according to the CR Society. Physical appearance could become unattractive if the dieter gets too "skinny." Other negative side effects include reduced bone mass; cold sensitivity from decreased body fat and temperature; loss of "cushioning" with bony joints and discomfort sitting on hard surfaces; hunger, cravings, and food obsessions; menstrual irregularity with more difficulty conceiving; and loss of strength from decreased muscle mass.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I feel like that too. I think it's adrenaline.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Sorry I was unclear. I'm trying to drop a few additional pounds and get to athlete level body fat percentage.

1,000 is my baseline and I do tend to go over by a couple of hundred a day, I try to stay within a cron type of diet and slowly lower my calories while getting maximum nutrients from the foods that I eat. It's a challenge, not sustainable I know. I'm trying to build additional muscle/tone. For activities I practice MMA and kickboxing, HIIT and various calisthenics, I lift weights 3 to 4 times per week, I dance a couple of times per week. I use the machines (cross ramp elliptical) I walk and sometimes run (interval sprints), I practice barre and legitamate ballet and I do wavemaster and some free-weight classes. Aside from the low calorie range I try to eat to perform in terms of eating the appropriate foods to fuel my daily activities before/after a work out.

What's the deal with over training? Sometimes in my mind I feel like I'm overtraining but my body doesn't feel that way at all. I'm not tired, I look forward to my workouts, I'm able to give a lot of effort, I get plenty of sleep...

In regards to another reply... I don't double dip with my Fitbit. I log all exercise into MFP along with the times/duration of the exercise. Fitbit in their infinite wisdom set up a feed between the two platforms and an auto-feed, to ensure there is no double counting, assuming the person uses only one system with the correct times. It doesn't even count much for boxing since I am mainly in my fighting stance with few steps.

Please... let me know which day I made the horrible, horrible mistake of mis-logging the chicken, I'll fix it quick, fast and in a hurry. What a terrible nightmare!
    The bolded isn't going to happen on such a low calorie intake...you need to either be very close to maintenance and doing a progressive load lifting program or in a surplus and a progressive load lifting program.

and my comment on your diary and the chicken was just to illustrate that you are eating more than you think.

There are a lot of other entries as well...it doesn't appear that you use a food scale based on the following:

spring rolls - 2 rolls
    1 tbsp hummas
    1 scoop of protein powder
    bacon - 3 slices...

I mean most of your food log is not by weight...some is but then you have to look at the entries chosen and the fact that they are most in oz so that leads me to believe you don't use a food scale.

As for the exercise...MFP is notorious for over estimating calorie burns...usually only half of what you are getting...

As for over training..yes I did it last summer...and a bit so far this summer...

I have the energy on a rest day so I do something...then in a couple days I am dragging my rear...that's my hint. I get lots of sleep too but your body needs at least a day of "rest"...try just a walk...that's is...a nice leisurely stroll...go for an hour or two if you have to.

And yes your calories are too low...I don't care what you say about getting nutrients in..your protein is 1/2 what it should be most days...if you are losing weight you are losing muscle too.

If you think you feel good now doing all this exercise and eating so little...imagine how you would feel properly fueled....unimaginable energy.

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to echo what just about everyone else is saying: Eat more. Much more.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

You need to be in calorie surplus to actually gain muscle.

Over training is not a joke. It feels awesome until it doesn't. Research it online, there are tons of symptoms. Mine were a sudden decrease in performance, calf cramping and depression. My V02 max plummeted (hence the decrease in performance). I had to back WAY off my training for 4-5 weeks and build back up slowly. And depression was setting in for non workout things...I was always excited to workout and was constantly thinking about it and what I was going to do and how to up my game. I wanted to keep pushing harder and harder because my performance wasn't increasing (because it didn't have recovery time!). You can really do some damage with OTS if you don't catch it in time.

Honestly, I would recommend talking with a dietitian and/or a personal trainer about your goals. And set up a real plan based on how the body improves. It sounds like you are doing a ton of stuff with no specific goal. You aren't giving your body time to recover and build itself stronger. And 1k calories is NOT enough to fuel the exercise regimen you've described. There is quite a bit of science in lowering your body fat %, it's NOT just exercise like crazy and eat as little as possible.

Best of luck!
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are eating 1000 a day and working out then something must be adding up wrong. 1000 cals is very little so maybe you are not eating enough or not eating enough at the right foods.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

What "athlete" level body fat percentage are you shooting for, specifically? I ask because judging by your profile pic you are extremely lean already. And it's no wonder, given your extremely low caloric intake and extremely high activity level you are probably running a serious deficit. If you want to increase performance and muscle mass you are going to have to add calories - a lot of them. I don't know the exact amount of work you are doing or your overall height/weight but I'm guessing you probably need at least 3x that amount of calories just to maintain weight.
  • tinky452
    tinky452 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So you eat 1200 calories a day whilst doing all that physical activity and you think you're not heading into a dangerous place? You certainly can't build muscle in a deficit that isn't even covering what you need for your body to carry out normal basic functions. I find this post pretty scary.

I totally agree u seriously need to eat more doing all that training ur not giving ur body enough to live day to day your going to crash and burn you wont shift the extra lbs by starving yourself when your doing these work out classes EAT more !! Good luck on your goal x
  • tinky452
    tinky452 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I made same mistake for months i just figured eat as little as poss exercise loads boom....
    i couldnt shuft weight someone told me to eat more 4 weeks on half a stone lighter good bmi and ideal body fat iv never felt better on one day in your diary you ate 952 cals but exercised 1600 ish thats madness your body will pack in u need to be tripling your intake it needs something to work with x x