The Ketogenic Diet.... is someone ever heard of this

Options

Replies

• frenchmaid69
    frenchmaid69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Three meals per day
    About 4 ozs / 115g of oily fish or higher fat meat (eg 20% fat beef, mackerel) per meal
    About a pound / 500 grams a day of leafy green vegetables
    Cheese up to 4 ozs per day
    Extra 2 grams a day of salt intake
    A few nuts, half an avocado, an ounce (28g) of cheese, a few olives as snacks if required.

oh wow ok... I you are right I have no fat in this ... except for the peanut butter only 1 table spoon.
  • frenchmaid69
    frenchmaid69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    No offense meant but I would never do I diet that I didn't understand.

And while keto diets advertise that you don't have to count calories....that is because they assume the ketosis will decrease your hunger & that the protein/fat will satisfy you, so you'll naturally eat less calories.

It's the calories that matter. If you eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight. I do a lower carb diet because it helps me eat less, but it's not magic.

What kind of low carb diet are you doing?

My carbs are not nearly as low as most. Mine is about 60 to sometimes 80 per day. It keeps me for the most part in ketosis while it often kicks most people out.

I'm also a vegetarian doing a lower carb plan, so mine is pretty atypical.

I would recommend the groups linked to you though. There are a lot of people there with a lot of low carb/keto knowledge.

ok... yes I will go see that those group later tonight to see... so then I will decide If I will do this or try to do something else!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I went from 240 to my current 174 following Atkins. I've been staying on the induction level so I think essentially I am doing a keto diet. I can tell you it works. I never quite got to the point where I felt the need to add in other veggies except for broccoli, green beans, cauliflower and sometimes spaghetti squash. I basically just eat meat, veggies, eggs, cheese, protein shakes and salads. Once I get to goal I'll probably slowly add in more complex carbs that will still be considered low carb.

I will say it's not sustainable if you're one of those people that has to have pizza and other starchy carbs. You will put the weight back on. It has to be a lifestyle change. I do more extreme low carb than a lot of people (<20g a day), but I feel great.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I just started this diet today
    Breakfast
    3 hard boiled eggs some blueberries
    Lunch
    Can of tuna on lettuce with olive oil
    Snack
    Celery with peanut butter
    Dinner
    Sole fried in butter with avacado strawberry salad

I was under my carbs and met my fat and protein.
    I was not hungry!!!
    I met my 1200calories.
    I've found this diet works for me because I'm not hungry and craving carbs. Low carb diets work best for me though.
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It is far better to carb cycle than cut out any of the three major macros altogether. Your body can tolerate short term ketosis but long term it is incredibly unhealthy. Just limit your carbs to 50-100g on your non-strength training days, and then up your carbs to "refeed" your body to normal levels to maintain energy the rest of the time. I do this maybe two or three times a week- it helps to preserve your muscle and allow you to lose more body fat without going catabolic.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend ketosis to be a state that someone strives to be in constantly.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Romey84 wrote: »
    It is far better to carb cycle than cut out any of the three major macros altogether. Your body can tolerate short term ketosis but long term it is incredibly unhealthy. Just limit your carbs to 50-100g on your non-strength training days, and then up your carbs to "refeed" your body to normal levels to maintain energy the rest of the time. I do this maybe two or three times a week- it helps to preserve your muscle and allow you to lose more body fat without going catabolic.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend ketosis to be a state that someone strives to be in constantly.

15 years and I'm not dead yet. Exactly what are you suggesting should've happened to me by now?
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    No bread, avoid fruit to start - sugar impairs ketosis. Low sugar berries come later.

The filling nature of the foods means you automatically eat less on a low carb diet, and ketosis suppresses appetite. If you need a guideline about 4 ozs of meat / fish per meal *3 per day using the higher fat content options.

Don't know enough about your stats to say but your current calorie goal of 1300 is not untypical of keto dieters.

Ok... but how long before berries? Ok no bread and no fruit... but you get your fiber from where.
    So its this right to have like 5 meal a day I have a hard time to eat this I have no appetite...and I actually feel nauseated and headache.

Like meal 3 and meal 4 I have to eat 6oz. of chicken with almond and 6oz of salmon the same day I can't even finish all of that..

Can you have cottage cheese at least
    You feel nauseated and headache because you need more sodium, potassium, and magnesium, likely. Eat an avocado, spinach, and mix 1/2 tsp. Lite Salt into a huge bottle of water and drink it. Take a magnesium supplement.

Really, just go to www.reddit.com/r/keto and read.
  • kvalhion
    kvalhion Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    By staying away from processed foods (rice, wheat, corn, anything that comes in a package with ingredients) and keeping carbs relatively low, I was able to lose 78 pounds from May 2010 to May 2011, and around 90 pounds overall. In the four years since, I've altered between Paleo (fruits, veggies, protein, fats), sometimes Keto, sometimes no diet at all. I've been able to maintain and have good results with the regular blood tests I get to test my levels.

For losing weight, Keto is easy. Simply do not eat carbohydrates other than vegetables. For most people with a lot of weight to lose, eating foods that are naturally satisfying like protein and fats along with plenty of vegetables will be a lot of food and still put you at a calorie deficit without weighing, meal plans, obsessing, etc. It takes maybe four or five days to really get over the carb cravings, but once you are there its easy to maintain as long as you have will power to avoid crap foods.

Health wise, I think a paleo type diet is best - plenty of vegetables, some fruits, lean proteins (chicken, turkey), eggs, fish, occasional red meat.

I am not good at moderation, or cycling.. if I start to eat carbs, I always go off the deep end and its difficult to stop. Your mileage may vary though.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Some bodies are build to favor this style of eating more than others. Some have higher carb thresholds. Self testing is the way to know for sure what you work best with.
  • Desert_Breeze
    Desert_Breeze Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest going from 0 to 60 like this. Go to Mark's daily apple.com, go to the 'start here' tab, and try "primal." It's a much easier way to ease in, or even the old fashioned Atkins diet or The South Beach Diet. All low carbs, but not as restrictive as Keto.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

It's actually proven that low carb is better for your health. Following a low carb diet you're not going to see an insanely high spike in your blood glucose like you would eating carbs. There's a reason low carb is recommended for diabetics. Not to mention the fact that I have a lot more energy now than I did when I was eating higher carbs. That reason alone is enough to keep me on low carb. It's also a known fact that a person is going to be a lot more successful losing weight following a low carb diet since since your body goes into fat burning mode a lot sooner due to the fact there are very few carbs to burn. Low carb works best for those of us that are sensitive to carbs. I think the 'eating foods in moderation' is a bunch of crap. I'm so tired of seeing people say that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a caloric deficit. That couldn't be further from the truth. That may work for some, but if it worked for everyone there wouldn't be so many people that found success through a low carb WOE. I tried the whole eating healthy approach while still eating carbs and I lost zero weight or I gained.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »

15 years and I'm not dead yet. Exactly what are you suggesting should've happened to me by now?
    he said it's 'unhealthy'

Right, and my bloodwork and bp are perfect. That includes the detailed panels checking for vitamin deficiencies. They have been for years. I put people who say it's "unhealthy long term" in the same camp as the learned scholars who insist that if I do keto more than a few months my kidneys will fail or I'll have brain damage - uneducated and with no real basis for offering advice on the subject. There's a reason keto has been prescribed for so long.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've got a client on it because she has severe epilepsy and her nutritionist recommended it. It seems like a real pain in the butt, though; definitely not for me.

Keto works wonders for people with epilepsy and even for cancer treatments. But the difference is, these people have severe medical disorders and life threatening issues where a diet like this may be necessary.

But for the rest of us, I'm not sure. I considered going keto but when I looked at the carb restriction, it seemed nuts. I'm at the point where I am too busy to cook everyday and I rely on some carb "convenience" foods like pita bread and rice to make my meals. Of course, these foods have a lot of carbs but I don't eat them all the time. I'd rather eat a healthy and varied diet than focus on keto or some other method. I see similar arguments and issues with paleo.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Because something doesn't work for you doesn't make it a bunch of crap.

Low carb is not magic...it is just what works best for you to get and keep a deficit.

Just do what works for you and stop worrying about what works for someone else is the words of wisdom I try to live by.

+1
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i have a client who knows a lot about nutrition and is also a chef. he recently because of side effects is becoming pre diabetic, and was able luckily to switch from seroquel to lithium as seroquel is a nasty weight gainer and screws your metabolism. anyhoo he is doing this type of diet, for a few weeks and is slowly just eating whole foods after he is done. he feels a lot better and i think is doing for 2-3 weeks before just doing a whole foods type of diet and exercise. he was saying that he knows people who do this constantly and are in constant ketosis for weight loss though a few weeks is really all you need
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Because something doesn't work for you doesn't make it a bunch of crap.

Low carb is not magic...it is just what works best for you to get and keep a deficit.

Just do what works for you and stop worrying about what works for someone else is the words of wisdom I try to live by.

Yes!

And it seems obvious too that it does have benefits for some people, including paying off with improved weight loss and test results, which I think is great. I don't think it would benefit me, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's a great option for those for whom it works.
  • run4rest
    run4rest Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm on keto diet. Don't eat any carbs, I don't even eat carrots or beets anymore cause of the sugar. It's basically greens & protein and fats.
    It's kind of boring, yes, but it's better than countIngon calories and always being hungry. And I find it varied enough to maintain without issue.

I don't count calories at all, since you're not introducing sugars you insulin levels stay low and you don't get as hungry. You feel satiated. I don't have cravings for carbs anymore, I think that is a chemical response To insulin spikes. You can get woozy the first week and feel crappy but it passes.

I'd say start it out for a few weeks without too many rules, don't worry about calories. See how it goes. Don't overwhelm yourself.

If you see good result keep at and you can start counting calories, as other on here have suggested, once your gained momentum