Thoughts on IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros)

Options
Personally, it's worked for me. I've tried both and seen pretty equivalent results with eating what I want with a mixture of "bro foods". Now of course if you choose to do IIFYM then of course you are gonna eat "bro foods" cause those "favorite" foods of yours are gonna take up a ton of calories. Therefore you gotta make up for it with eating those healthy clean foods that are low in calories. There's pros and cons to both sides. Just curious as to who else out there enjoys their Oreo's and Pizza's on a weekly basis by fitting them into the diet :)

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My gripe with IIFYM is a lot of people completely disregard their micros and therefor their health. If you do it in such a way where you eat the majority of your foods from nutrient dense sources, and fit in the things you like in small amounts, then that's probably a great and sustainable plan for most people.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    For me, it works.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    My gripe with IIFYM is a lot of people completely disregard their micros and therefor their health. If you do it in such a way where you eat the majority of your foods from nutrient dense sources, and fit in the things you like in small amounts, then that's probably a great and sustainable plan for most people.

People who do that aren't really doing IIFYM. It's pretty hard to hit your macros without also hitting your micros, and most people here stress that micros are part of it. IIFYM doesn't translate to 'just eat pizza/twinkies/ice cream so long as you stick to your calories'.

#TeamModeration
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^^ works for me.

#TeamEatWell
    #Variety
    #LotsofVeggiesFruitsandStuff

I prefer my IIFYMM (Macros and Micros) to be low convenience, high local and regional produce with the added dose of daily whatevers ...

(Edit: I don't eat Oreos and pizza is rare - well, I was in Italy last week... but my "bro" foods are chocolate, ice cream, wine and sugar cookies)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I can see that. The weight loss period only makes it worse, because there is less food from which to get the micros.
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Great for me down 26lbs in 12 weeks I have a maintance day once a week and a 1500 surplus cheat day once every 3 month I hit my macros n micros but I do enjoy reeeses and so on lol
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    My preferred foods are savory, or only inherently sweet (like pumpkin), so it works for me. I don't have a lot of calories to play with, so my treats are small, but satisfying, and I usually use them to fill my fat macro. Talenti is great for this.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    What's "bro" food?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    What's "bro" food?

OP seems to be using it to identify nutrient dense, low calorie food to offset pizza and Oreos. Aka "healthy clean" foods. :huh:

Ice cream is my "bro".
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    What's "bro" food?

Probably peanut butter and chocolate.
  • coltonweisbrod
    coltonweisbrod Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    matt88uk wrote: »
    Great for me down 26lbs in 12 weeks I have a maintance day once a week and a 1500 surplus cheat day once every 3 month I hit my macros n micros but I do enjoy reeeses and so on lol

I agree it works well for me! Just gotta know how and when to fit it in
  • coltonweisbrod
    coltonweisbrod Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Well those people aren't serious about being healthy if they truly use it as an excuse to over eat on the foods high in calories. Know what I mean?

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've just started following IIFYM loosely a few days ago, because I'm working towards new fitness/body composition goals for the summer months and I'm curious to see if certain macros ratios will help. I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing so far, though it's a lot more work than I thought it would be. Before I just tracked calories and could plan out my day in a couple minutes. Now I'm spending half my morning trying to get those darn macros numbers to fit together :p Everyone says it gets easier, we shall see!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    What's "bro" food?

OP seems to be using it to identify nutrient dense, low calorie food to offset pizza and Oreos. Aka "healthy clean" foods. :huh:

Ice cream is my "bro".
    What's "bro" food?

Probably peanut butter and chocolate.

I must be a "bro" then.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    To me it seems like another label that is as pointless as many others and a way to avoid looking at the big picture and health as a whole. I've seen people obsess over getting the last gram of protein to hit there macros under the delusion that they have to hit these goals. In reality I probably eat this way as I keep an eye on my Macros but I don't obsess over them and try and look at my lifestyle goals as a whole. If your happy to have that label on your eating that's fine but health is far more than a catchy trendy anacronym.

I just go for a varied diet based in wholefoods and keep an overall view on my Macros but there is far more than just hitting your macros to overall health.

Too many people like to overcomplicate things
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am going through a phase where I eat a ton of junk and sugar, but I am doing this, while keeping within my calories (take a deep breath before viewing my open diary puritans - we are talking condensed milk for dinner).

The way I look at it - before, I used to go through junk phases and NOT keep within my calories, which is why I gained weight. If my food offends you now, imagine how dreadful it would be if you double or triple the quantities!

I am happy to win the main war (the weight war) while losing the occasional battle (eating perfectly all the time).

I will cycle back into wanting soup and veggies all day in a couple of days or weeks, so I do not see it as a big issue. I am not beating myself up over this stuff as this is what makes this sustainable for me.

I lose weight every week (0.4 to 0.6kg) and eat to 1200.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think the variety helps me feel like I can do this forever. We had bacon cheeseburgers last night. Instead of fries we had celery, thin buns...huge slice of tomato.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not a fan of oreo cookies but cadbury milk chocolate yes.

Do I watch my micros..some of them yes...like iron because I have to...other stuff not so much as based on my intake I know I am getting those in....just based on what I am eating...the only thing I struggle with is fiber....

I enjoy my "bro foods" everyday....chocolate mainly unless I am too tired...*don't ask*

My diary is set @1500 right now but I average 1800 gross calories a day so it's pretty easy to hit my macros/micros and still have room for that stuff.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    What's "bro" food?

In my favorite grocery store there's an aisle I call the men's department.*** On one side is a huge cooler with all kinds of beer and a freezer full of pizza. Facing that are all the chips and dips and nuts and popcorn.

***This was immediately what I thought of when "bro food" was mentioned. I suppose it's a foul stereotype of men to say that that's what they would prefer to eat if they cared nothing about their health. Based on my lurking in the forums, the men of MFP are highly attentive to good nutrition.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think its good, although my definition of "macros" includes (roughly in order of importance): calories, freshness/nutritiousness, protein, water content, fiber... Carbs/fat/protein is not the be all and end all, but its a good place to start if you're a noob.