Proper eating?

Options
So I have been using this program now for 1 week, I have managed to log all my food consumption with a little extra as I do not usually eat everything on my plate. Last night when I got done logging in my food and exercise for the day the program yelled at me saying I am not eating enough. I have been eating 3+ meals/times a day and trying to eat the healthier foods as my lighter meals such as fruits. I have never been one to eat more than 1-2 times a day if that depending on the day's activities. I figured a while back that my eating habits were the cause of not being able to loose the desired weight. I am not trying to bulk up my muscles I want to loose my belly and all that before I work on muscle toning. I am averaging 5-6 miles a day walking even though that only accounts for an hour or two of the day. Currently I am working in a hot desert environment and have found that drinking 8-10 bottles of water a day is keeping my pretty full. Any one have any ideas on how I can eat more with out over doing it?

Replies

• pecyr1
    pecyr1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily about calories in and calories out as most of the would would have you believe. It's important to take in adequate calories. It's the quality of calories that matter most. For starters take in 1 gram of protein per lb of desired body weight. Make sure your getting plenty of healthy fats, and limit your carbs to under 100 grams per day, NO SUGAR, if your intention is to lose body fat. II guarantee you'll feel better than you ever have after you get past the sugar addiction. Getting past the sugar addiction usually takes about 3-5 days, and it's not that easy. You will go through the usual addictive withdrawal symptoms, like lack of energy, headache, not sleeping well, etc. After you get through this tunnel of darkness you will be amazed. Go this route for about 21 days, and then ramp up the cabs by adding sweet potatoes, berries, plantains and avoid the really sweet fruits. Good luck
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    pecyr1 wrote: »
    It's not necessarily about calories in and calories out as most of the would would have you believe. It's important to take in adequate calories. It's the quality of calories that matter most. For starters take in 1 gram of protein per lb of desired body weight. Make sure your getting plenty of healthy fats, and limit your carbs to under 100 grams per day, NO SUGAR, if your intention is to lose body fat. II guarantee you'll feel better than you ever have after you get past the sugar addiction. Getting past the sugar addiction usually takes about 3-5 days, and it's not that easy. You will go through the usual addictive withdrawal symptoms, like lack of energy, headache, not sleeping well, etc. After you get through this tunnel of darkness you will be amazed. Go this route for about 21 days, and then ramp up the cabs by adding sweet potatoes, berries, plantains and avoid the really sweet fruits. Good luck

OP, you don't have to do this to lose weight. In fact I recommend you avoid this advice.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    An open diary would help - Settings bottom left from memory.

There's a list of calorie dense foods pinned to the top of one of the forums - Food & Nutrition I think. Eat some nuts rather than fruit and you'll get more calories.

How many calories are you eating and what are your goals ?
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there is a built in minimum calorie intake in the program. I've been below a few times. You could drink a nutrition shake, but it is not healthy to be below cal limit too often.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

This sounds like a diet plan to me. I don't pay much attention to diet plans. Women need at least 1200calories and men need at least 1500-1600 calories. Other than that, eat what you want, but eat less than you burn.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to 1200 for health reasons, as long as you realise there is no "starvation mode". You are not going to gain or stall by eating too little. If you eat less than 1200 it will fall off you, it just won't do your body any good (so don't). If you think you are eating 1200 and not losing, your logging and weighing are not up to scratch.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    JimmyD2003 wrote: »
    So I have been using this program now for 1 week, I have managed to log all my food consumption with a little extra as I do not usually eat everything on my plate. Last night when I got done logging in my food and exercise for the day the program yelled at me saying I am not eating enough. I have been eating 3+ meals/times a day and trying to eat the healthier foods as my lighter meals such as fruits. I have never been one to eat more than 1-2 times a day if that depending on the day's activities. I figured a while back that my eating habits were the cause of not being able to loose the desired weight. I am not trying to bulk up my muscles I want to loose my belly and all that before I work on muscle toning. I am averaging 5-6 miles a day walking even though that only accounts for an hour or two of the day. Currently I am working in a hot desert environment and have found that drinking 8-10 bottles of water a day is keeping my pretty full. Any one have any ideas on how I can eat more with out over doing it?

It is o.k. to eat one or two meals a day as long as you are eating enough calories. The garbage we hear about having to eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack -- all of that is not true.
    Eat whenever and however you can to reach your goals.
    What are healthier foods to you? Eat full fat foods, larger portions, protein, . . . . . :)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Absolutely not. Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Period. And the whole demonizing of sugar is getting really old, and it's just not true.

OP, there's lots of us here who only eat once or twice a day-meal timing/frequency is a preference thing and nothing more. If eating less meals is your preference then go with it, but yeah you have to figure out how to meet your calorie goals in those meals.

My eating pattern is one large meal early afternoon, one snack late afternoon and then a second, smaller meal in the evening. My large meal can easily clock in at over 1,000 calories :)

Pre-planning your food for the day is a great place to start, also don't be afraid to eat higher calorie foods if you're coming in short, like nuts, olive oil, full fat dairy, a Big Mac and fries once in a while etc etc :p
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

First post: MEDIOCRE!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If eating enough were truly a problem for you, you would not need to loose weight.

So things to ask.
    1) do you weigh(important) and measure everything you eat?
    2) how much do you need to loose and how much loss per week have you set your MFP for?
    3) is your activity level setting appropriate for your lifestyle?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I have to disagree with most if not all of this

For weight loss it's calories..for health and nutrition a good wide diet

Even professional bodybuilders don't need to consume more than 0.82g protein per lb of bodyweight ...it doesn't do any ahem but it's not sound advice ...I doubt OP is a pro athlete so a minimum of 0.64g p per lb bodyweight is more than adequate

For plenty of fats try to hit 0.35g fat per lb bodyweight

Sugar addiction is complete made up codswallop ..if you're not diabetic or have a condition sugar is fine

Addictive withdrawal symptoms...what?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So what are these sugar withdrawal symptoms? I didn't know that sugar messes with brain chemicals.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    So what are these sugar withdrawal symptoms? I didn't know that sugar messes with brain chemicals.
    Sugar actually messes with theBrain Kemicals which are like chemicals but put there by space Aliens who wish to control us so they use Kemicals which have little radio transmitters in . The only way to defend against this is a sugar detox or a Tin foil hat.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Top 10 Worst First Post Ever.

• brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The warning your getting is just that eating below the minimum amount of calories slows down your metabolism and makes it harder to lose weight trust me i made the same mistake
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    brcossette wrote: »
    The warning your getting is just that eating below the minimum amount of calories slows down your metabolism and makes it harder to lose weight trust me i made the same mistake
    Unless your metabolism slows by as much or more than the additional caloric deficit -- it doesn't -- you'll lose weight just fine if you stick with it.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Sugar actually messes with theBrain Kemicals which are like chemicals but put there by space Aliens who wish to control us so they use Kemicals which have little radio transmitters in . The only way to defend against this is a sugar detox or a Tin foil hat.

Bahahaha...baha
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

I can't believed you got flagged for this. Seriously people :p
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I can't believed you got flagged for this. Seriously people :p

Wrongful flagging usually=butthurt so nope does not surprise me one bit.