Keto Diet

Options
Is anyone trying the keto diet? High fat and protien ,little carbs.

Replies

• astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do a search for Keto diets, because there are numerous threads posted daily.

I personally love carbs, and would never restrict types of foods as long as I'm staying under my calorie goal.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    BTDT...got the t-shirt.

A couple of things:

1) It's awesome over a short run if you have metabolic damage that needs to be addressed (or a couple of diseases that react well to a ketogenic diet). It has a specific application where it makes sense for a little while-- talk to a doctor that knows about such things if you think you need this.

2) It follows from (1) that this is not a long term solution.

3) Low carb, but NOT zero or very low carb (<50g/day), is better for sedentary people as they don't need many carbs anyway but do need some protein and fat: e.g. a sedentary 200 pound guy eating 1/2 g/lb body mass each of protein and fat and trying to maintain 2000 calories/day isn't going to have a lot of room for carbs.

4) Exercise is good for you and carbs support exercise so workout and eat some carbs. Seriously.

5) Too much protein will knock you out of ketosis, so mind that if it's your goal.

6) It is not a license to eat calories at will...they absolutely still matter.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    BTDT...got the t-shirt.

A couple of things:

1) It's awesome over a short run if you have metabolic damage that needs to be addressed (or a couple of diseases that react well to a ketogenic diet). It has a specific application where it makes sense for a little while-- talk to a doctor that knows about such things if you think you need this.

3) Low carb, but NOT zero or very low carb (<50g/day), is better for sedentary people as they don't need many carbs anyway but do need some protein and fat: e.g. a sedentary 200 pound guy eating 1/2 g/lb body mass each of protein and fat and trying to maintain 2000 calories/day isn't going to have a lot of room for carbs.

4) Exercise is good for you and carbs support exercise so workout and eat some carbs. Seriously.

5) Too much protein will knock you out of ketosis, so mind that if it's your goal.

Wrong. And to eat enough protein to knock you out, you'd have to be eating it at elite powerlifter on a bulk levels.

OP, go here to get useful info. The main forums won't get you much educated advice:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

That's a sweeping statement which isn't strictly true. Endurance activities such as distance running, or training for many types of running and fitness, hiking, walking, many levels of cycling - all are primarily fat burning activities, or can be, if you allow your body to burn fats.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 and loving it. I'm not naturally a big carb eater. When I was younger and thinner I naturally followed a low carb diet out of my taste buds. After starting a family there's loads of carbs in the house and once I start eating them I crave them.
    Now that I've started this diet up I'm full all the time and can eat the foods I love without going over calories. I have more energy too.
    I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I'm very happy and satisfied on this compared to trying to limit all my calories in with carbs. I was always hungry it was torture and I'd just mess up.
    I'm feeling pretty steady and consistent without the craving distraction.
    It is only day 2...but like I said I naturally ate like this younger and it's taking me back to what I actually like anyways.
  • KaylaNorris
    KaylaNorris Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im on day 3, it is easy to maintain and be full. It is jjst mainly cutting sugar,bread and startchs out . Startchs are my hardest , i love pasta. I have found super good keto recipies. I maintain my protein and keep my varbs under 50 and sometimes i don't even eat all 50. Im a veggie,cheese and meat lover anyways. So it isn't so hard for me to stick with this one. My biggest problem was cutting sodas, i have had serious caffine headaches.
  • KaylaNorris
    Options
  • kvalhion
    kvalhion Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am on day 1,460 and still going strong! :) Actually I do not always do strict low carb, but I was able to follow a paleo-low carb hybrid and lose 78 pounds over one calendar year (May 2010 to May 2011). It's been four years and I've maintained the loss pretty well.

In general I stay away from processed foods. I avoid rice, wheat, corn. I focus on plenty of vegetables, occasional fruit, lean proteins (chicken and turkey), eggs, fish, and occasional red meat, along with healthy fats (extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil). Minimal dairy.

Doing this I do not have to weigh foods or count every calorie. Low carb naturally reduces my appetite and helps me feel full and satisfied with smaller snacks or meals. Once I get over the sugar craving, its pretty easy to settle into a habit of not eating carbs other than vegetables.

I've also taken up Crossfit off and on over the last two or three years, so going low carb / calorie deficit hasn't really helped but it hasn't hurt that much either. I've gotten stronger and in better shape despite not replenishing my carbs.

I'd say education is always key -- learn the facts. Try it out. If you enjoy it and it works, great! If not, there are many other approaches to healthy eating that work for a lot of people. Good luck
  • morowinder
    morowinder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 1.5 months in, it gets pretty easy after few weeks. Pasta cravings and hunger eventually go away, especially as you discover what you enjoy and develop personal keto menu.
  • KaylaNorris
    Options
    Im working on it! I love eggs and chicken, salad, stuff a long that line. So it isn't so bad, just giving up my soda and pasta, but i did find a recipe to make pasta from cheese!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    BTDT...got the t-shirt.

A couple of things:

Wrong. And to eat enough protein to knock you out, you'd have to be eating it at elite powerlifter on a bulk levels.

OP, go here to get useful info. The main forums won't get you much educated advice:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

PRETTY MUCH THIS

signed: not low carb.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what they mean by carbs? What food exactly?
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the dumb question...haha
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Lots of foods have carbs. Fruits and veg. Pasta and breads, condiments.
    You have to calculate your set carbs.
    Say you want to eat 50grams per day, calculate your foods in mfp and you can look in nutrition and see how many grams you've eaten. You can also set your macros so you can see that way as well. Veggies such as lettuce, broccoli, cucumber, cauliflower etc have very low carbs so sticking to those help keep carbs in check. I like berries as well those are low carb.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what they mean by carbs? What food exactly?

They mean carbohydrate, the macronutrient. Usually found as sugar and starch in all kind of foods.

• KaylaNorris
    Options
    What are some good foods to eat to put me in ketosis and how will i know?
    morowinder wrote: »
    I'm 1.5 months in, it gets pretty easy after few weeks. Pasta cravings and hunger eventually go away, especially as you discover what you enjoy and develop personal keto menu.

• KaylaNorris
    Options

Is there a certain way i should eat everyday, like does it matter what i eat as long as its low in carbs? Im on day 3 and i usually keep it under 30g. I eat thinks like lettuce, spinich, eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, chicken,turkey, broccoli, and certain sauces, butter, olive oil and dressings. Thats about majority of what i eat. Am i doing it right?
    kvalhion wrote: »
    I am on day 1,460 and still going strong! :) Actually I do not always do strict low carb, but I was able to follow a paleo-low carb hybrid and lose 78 pounds over one calendar year (May 2010 to May 2011). It's been four years and I've maintained the loss pretty well.

In general I stay away from processed foods. I avoid rice, wheat, corn. I focus on plenty of vegetables, occasional fruit, lean proteins (chicken and turkey), eggs, fish, and occasional red meat, along with healthy fats (extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil). Minimal dairy.

Doing this I do not have to weigh foods or count every calorie. Low carb naturally reduces my appetite and helps me feel full and satisfied with smaller snacks or meals. Once I get over the sugar craving, its pretty easy to settle into a habit of not eating carbs other than vegetables.

I've also taken up Crossfit off and on over the last two or three years, so going low carb / calorie deficit hasn't really helped but it hasn't hurt that much either. I've gotten stronger and in better shape despite not replenishing my carbs.

I'd say education is always key -- learn the facts. Try it out. If you enjoy it and it works, great! If not, there are many other approaches to healthy eating that work for a lot of people. Good luck
  • KaylaNorris
    Options
    Does anyone drink coke zero,sprite zero or anything like that? Will it throw my ketosis off ? Ive read some people say they did and its a myth and other studies say its true. I mean it is zero carbs and calrories .