Please confirm this is all true...

Options
So I've been reading a lot of posts on losing weight and it all having to do with calories and not necessarily what you are eating, just how many calories for the day or week. It doesn't get more basic than that, if you really think about it, but I'm having issues believing it, so I want confirmation :smile: So if I'm at 1400 calories, it doesn't matter how many carbs I have? I could have a ton of carbs every day, as long as I stay below my allotted calories? I'm having trouble with this because I've always lost weight doing low carb and would prefer eating what I want and looking at the calories. I also don't factor in exercise at all, even though I workout 6 days a week because I don't trust it. Anyways, I was just looking at how many carbs I've been having and I don't like it, so just want reassurance that it is ok. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, you just need a calorie deficit... Google Twinkie diet...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have no underlying (known or unknown) medical condition and you are ONLY interested in making a number on a scale go down? Probably.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yep, worked brilliantly for me :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have got the calorie thing figured out! :mrgreen: It does not matter how many carbs you eat in order to lose weight except you also need to eat enough protein. Make sure that you fit protein into your day.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes with an exception. If you were to eat an extremely high carbohydrate diet every single day, it is likely that your body will begin to develop a resistance to insulin and at that point you may be in trouble. That is a very extreme case though. That being said, there's absolutely no sane reason to go low carb, and it's completely unnecessary. Those who want to do it can do it, but you're putting yourself through more stress than you need to in my opinion. Just eat a balanced macronutrient ratio and count calories and basically just eat whatever you want and you're good to go.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    On a very basic level, yes that's true. That's assuming you don't react any differently to eating mostly carbs than you do to eating a more balanced way. KWIM? Protein is more filling so it helps some people to stay under their caloriec goals. Same with fat. So yes, a calorie is a calorie, but human are complex beings and perhaps eating a ton of carbs will not be the best way to lose weight for you.
    Another factor, which is very important to me, is that you can lose weight eating just junk, I suppose, but it wouldn't do much for your health (other then the gains that come from losing weight).
    For me the bottom line is that while a calorie is just a calorie, there's more to human wellness than just caloric intake and how much you weight, so I take those other things into consideration as well.
  • stemmingthetide
    stemmingthetide Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    160 calories in a pop and 160 calories in some amount of almonds- same number but a calorie isn't always a calorie- Almonds have fiber and that isn't stored as fat whereas pop has lots of sugar that can be stored as fat. I am no expert- but I found that analysis interesting when I read it.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You need protein while you're losing weight unless you want to lose an extremely high proportion of muscle along with your excess fat.
    And you need dietary fat to utilize a lot of micronutrients, so eat enough fat unless you want to end up feeling ill and malnourished.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter as long as you're under your calories... But with high carbs, you're going to be very hungry, and for health, you want to eat a lot of nutritious foods... Eating enough fat and protein is important for good health (and protein for maintaining muscle when losing weight).

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    160 calories in a pop and 160 calories in some amount of almonds- same number but a calorie isn't always a calorie- Almonds have fiber and that isn't stored as fat whereas pop has lots of sugar that can be stored as fat. I am no expert- but I found that analysis interesting when I read it.

Hooo boy....

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Nothing can be stored as fat, though, unless you exceed your maintenance calories. So for weight loss, it still doesn't matter. Your health is another matter, as others have pointed out.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Both almonds and pop can be stored as fat if you overeat. When it comes to weight loss, a calorie is a calorie. That's completely different from nutrition.
  • mizztara3
    mizztara3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! I try to eat
    pretty healthy overall, but I want to be able to have a Jimmy johns sandwich and Salt and vinegar chips twice a week lol Friday night is burger night and wine night. I run a lot, so I think I can have the calories under control, I just want more carbs mixed in with the good stuff. Plus, I like green smoothies with bananas and the carb count is bad, I add peanut butter too.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You'll probably find you're more satisfied at 1400 calories if you work in some protein and fats, but eating carbs is fine for weight loss. I don't worry about carbs at all and have lost 65lbs (my reports tell me I'm often around 200g carbs/day). I do make a point of getting adequate protein and strength training to try to minimize muscle loss, but that's a separate issue.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat is the easiest to store.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    mizztara3 wrote: »
    So I've been reading a lot of posts on losing weight and it all having to do with calories and not necessarily what you are eating, just how many calories for the day or week. It doesn't get more basic than that, if you really think about it, but I'm having issues believing it, so I want confirmation :smile: So if I'm at 1400 calories, it doesn't matter how many carbs I have? I could have a ton of carbs every day, as long as I stay below my allotted calories? I'm having trouble with this because I've always lost weight doing low carb and would prefer eating what I want and looking at the calories. I also don't factor in exercise at all, even though I workout 6 days a week because I don't trust it. Anyways, I was just looking at how many carbs I've been having and I don't like it, so just want reassurance that it is ok. Thanks!

The first time around I did this and was miserable. Always super hungry!! I mean I lost the weight and was always under my calorie intake goal, but I was tired and hungry all day everyday.

The second time around (now), I'm paying a lot more attention to what I eat. Yes, still not going over my calorie intake goal for the day... but making sure I get my protein in, fats in, and not going overboard with my carb intake (don't cut it out completely!!!) has honestly helped me stay faithful to my lifestyle change. This time around I am not miserable and hungry all the time and I really think it is because of the foods I am eating :)

• freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    mizztara3 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the responses! I try to eat
    pretty healthy overall, but I want to be able to have a Jimmy johns sandwich and Salt and vinegar chips twice a week lol Friday night is burger night and wine night. I run a lot, so I think I can have the calories under control, I just want more carbs mixed in with the good stuff. Plus, I like green smoothies with bananas and the carb count is bad, I add peanut butter too.

It sounds like you have a very good plan - a varied diet where you eat from all the food groups, while keeping your caloric intake to a level which allows you to lose/maintain weight at a reasonable pace, and enjoying treats in moderation. That's pretty much the ideal of CICO/IIFYM/MFP as I understand it.
  • cedar777
    cedar777 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have someone help you set the calories for you body. Then sit back and see things start happening. Remember you half to stay at your calories or below and you will lose weight go over and you will gain weight. Try to balance your food intake with carbs, proteins, fats, fiber, vegies, also so drink water they suggest that eight glass of 8 oz. each. Good luck in your weight loss.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Yes with an exception. If you were to eat an extremely high carbohydrate diet every single day, it is likely that your body will begin to develop a resistance to insulin and at that point you may be in trouble. That is a very extreme case though. That being said, there's absolutely no sane reason to go low carb, and it's completely unnecessary. Those who want to do it can do it, but you're putting yourself through more stress than you need to in my opinion. Just eat a balanced macronutrient ratio and count calories and basically just eat whatever you want and you're good to go.

Insulin resistance is actually very common...not unusual at all. In addition to the 29 million people in the US with diabetes, 86 million have prediabetes, many others are insulin resistant, or have PCOS or some other condition that also makes then respond badly to too many carbs.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For losing weight, what you eat (within your calorie goal) doesn't matter! But for losing FAT you should eat some fat and protein as well as carbs.

For losing fat and feeling good with lots of energy, you should eat a good portion of your calories in the form of nutrient dense foods (aka healthy foods). Although, at least in my opinion, treats are required for mental health and not feeling deprived.