SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    here is the list:

Cakes, cookies, pastries, and donuts (contain both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sodas, energy drinks, sports drinks, and fruit drinks (contain added sugars)
    Cheese (contains solid fat)
    Pizza (contains solid fat)
    Ice cream (contains both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sausages, hot dogs, bacon, and ribs (contain solid fat)

how can pizza be empty if it has protein, fat, and carbs? would vegetable pizza still be empty even though you would get a lot of micros from it???

The link clearly defines it's definition of "empty calories" - solid fat and added sugar.

Which...IMO...is a dumb definition.

I'm guessing I would be pretty safe to assume the article was written/reviewed by someone with at least a Master's Degree in Nutrition and it's calling a spade a spade.

The article does say at the end:

"A small amount of empty calories is okay, but most people eat far more than is healthy. It is important to limit empty calories to the amount that fits your calorie and nutrient needs. You can lower your intake by eating and drinking foods and beverages containing empty calories less often or by decreasing the amount you eat or drink."

I think all of us could agree this is a true statement.

empty implies that said calories have zero benefit …but 50 calories of fat gives you 50 units of energy so it is not empty …

again, ridiculous definition is ridiculous.

the only empty calorie is a zero calorie food like water….

The article describes empty calorie foods that contain calories but few nutrients

But, those would be nutrient empty foods, not empty calorie foods.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    here is the list:

how can pizza be empty if it has protein, fat, and carbs? would vegetable pizza still be empty even though you would get a lot of micros from it???

The link clearly defines it's definition of "empty calories" - solid fat and added sugar.

I'm guessing I would be pretty safe to assume the article was written/reviewed by someone with at least a Master's Degree in Nutrition and it's calling a spade a spade.

"A small amount of empty calories is okay, but most people eat far more than is healthy. It is important to limit empty calories to the amount that fits your calorie and nutrient needs. You can lower your intake by eating and drinking foods and beverages containing empty calories less often or by decreasing the amount you eat or drink."

empty implies that said calories have zero benefit …but 50 calories of fat gives you 50 units of energy so it is not empty …

are you saying you feel just as fuelled, energetic, and satiated after a bag of chips as you are with a sandwich for the same cals?

i'd be amazed if so. i know for myself, my stomach might be "full" after eating chips, in the sense that i have to stop at some point, but it's nowhere near as filling as real food (and please, everyone knows what i mean by "real food"). also that "fullness" from chips tends not to last very long, for me at least. got to have more there, there.

where did I say anything about me in that sentence you quoted?

I said 50 calories of fat = 50 units of energy. Therefore, to claim that fat is an empty calorie is ridiculous.

feelings have nothing to do with it.

and my point is that if the sandwich is better in teh ways i said, spending those cals on chips is a waste.

which has absolutely nothing to do with my point that 50 calories of fat = 50 calories of energy, hence they are not empty.

Just because you think something is a waste does not negate basic physics.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    here is the list:

The article describes empty calorie foods that contain calories but few nutrients

but they are not empty because calories = energy.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    here is the list:

Technically, no. The way the "empty calorie" definition is being used, a food can have lots of empty calories and lots of nutrients too. A pizza made at home with lots of veggies would still have lots of empty calories, according to the definition, if you used lots of cheese (the cheese is contributing the so-called empty calories). A homemade strawberry-rhubarb pie--which has nutrients from the fruit--has loads of empty calories but is not nutrient free or necessarily low nutrient. I imagine a shepherd's pie, if you made it with fattier lamb and some butter, would have lots of empty calories, but I always put in lots of veggies.

Also, any fatty meat contains lots of "empty calories" in this definition. Pretty sure the chicken breast with skin I had this week counts, but that's just silly. Chicken roasted with skin simply tastes much better (IMO) than boneless, skinless breast. If you want to claim that's empty calories and will make me fat, well, whatever, doesn't seem to be the case as to how it affects me personally. Feeling like I had to mostly limit myself to the very leanest cuts of meat would be much less sustainable.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    here is the list:

Technically, no. The way the "empty calorie" definition is being used, a food can have lots of empty calories and lots of nutrients too. A pizza made at home with lots of veggies would still have lots of empty calories, according to the definition, if you used lots of cheese (the cheese is contributing the so-called empty calories). A homemade strawberry-rhubarb pie--which has nutrients from the fruit--has loads of empty calories but is not nutrient free or necessarily low nutrient. I imagine a shepherd's pie, if you made it with fattier lamb and some butter, would have lots of empty calories, but I always put in lots of veggies.

Also, any fatty meat contains lots of "empty calories" in this definition.

which shows why the definition is useless…..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    here is the list:

Also, any fatty meat contains lots of "empty calories" in this definition.

which shows why the definition is useless…..

I agree.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    here is the list:

If there are no calories, how can the calories be empty?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I love how certain people get hung up on this forum over certain words. You throw out words like "bad foods" or "empty calories" and we go on an endless debate.....everytime. It's getting old.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    here is the list:

because they provide zero energy.

and did you really just ask that?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I love how certain people get hung up on this forum over certain words. You throw out words like "bad foods" or "empty calories" and we go on an endless debate.....everytime. It's getting old.

so why are you here?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

Perhaps if people stopped using them, the debate would end, no?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    here is the list:

Also, any fatty meat contains lots of "empty calories" in this definition. Pretty sure the chicken breast with skin I had this week counts, but that's just silly. Chicken roasted with skin simply tastes much better (IMO) than boneless, skinless breast. If you want to claim that's empty calories and will make me fat, well, whatever, doesn't seem to be the case as to how it affects me personally. Feeling like I had to mostly limit myself to the very leanest cuts of meat would be much less sustainable.

Well, no, you'd be getting fat with the fatty meat. I'm sure there's something going on with combinations of macros in any given food or meal. (Just personally, maybe someone feels like digging up info on this, I know that I'm most full with protein + fat. Like after a yummy steak.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    here is the list:

because they provide zero energy.

and did you really just ask that?

Yes, I did (surely you know that since you responded :p ). If there is nothing to be empty, then nothing is empty. You're definition is as silly as theirs.

A better definition of an empty calorie (using your zero energy provided criterion) would be a fiber calorie that passes through us unabsorbed.
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    here is the list:

are you saying you feel just as fuelled, energetic, and satiated after a bag of chips as you are with a sandwich for the same cals?

i'd be amazed if so. i know for myself, my stomach might be "full" after eating chips, in the sense that i have to stop at some point, but it's nowhere near as filling as real food (and please, everyone knows what i mean by "real food"). also that "fullness" from chips tends not to last very long, for me at least. got to have more there, there.

where did I say anything about me in that sentence you quoted?

I said 50 calories of fat = 50 units of energy. Therefore, to claim that fat is an empty calorie is ridiculous.

feelings have nothing to do with it.

and my point is that if the sandwich is better in teh ways i said, spending those cals on chips is a waste.

which has absolutely nothing to do with my point that 50 calories of fat = 50 calories of energy, hence they are not empty.

Just because you think something is a waste does not negate basic physics.

Physics is physics but humans are biological systems, not machines.

50 cals of fat or low-fiber carbs on their own is not going to do the job for most people. And I'm fairly sure those of us who are not sated on something like that feel that way for physiological and not psychological reasons.
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Further, people who are NOT sated on what we've been calling junk food might well want to eat just MORE food. Which = MORE calories (physics). There's a user factor here that shouldn't be ignored

arguing ad nauseum about whether food has calories (?? seems obvious) and whether it's CICO is beside the point, of course it's CICO for weight loss, and food has calories (again ??). the point is to work out the optimal way of eating, for any given person, to stick with a diet.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've heard a few people define empty calories as those that provide little to no micros. Not sure if this qualifies as a legit definition or not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    here is the list:

If food have macronutritents which your body can use how are they empty calories?

Because that's what the definition says. It's their made up term with their made up definition in their article.