Cutting junk food out of my diet?

Options

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been having trouble with cutting junk food out of my diet. I tried to only eat junk food in moderation. I also tried to make sure it fit my macros, but that eventually led to more craving and overeating. Now I'm back to square one. What method did you guys use to cut junk food out of your diet? What foods did you substitute for junk food?

don't keep it in the house...if it's not there, you're not going to eat it...EZPZ

This is basically what I'm doing with beer and alcohol in general...I'm not drinking during the week so I just don't keep the stuff in my house and I save my indulgences for the weekend. If I kept a 12 pack in my fridge like I used to, I'd most likely say *kitten* it and just pop a few tops after work. Not having it in the house means there's no tops to pop in the first place.

That sounds easy enough, but it may not be so simple. I find that when I don't keep stuff in the house, but lack the willpower in the store to not buy something like a package of Little Debbie Snack Cakes, or something, the package end ups staying out on the table rather than having a place hidden away somewhere, and I end up going back to the package when I want something to eat. But if I already have something sweet at home, I might tell myself that I don't need to buy whatever it is, and even if I do buy it, it is just one more thing that I'm consuming in moderation.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Even nutritious food can "junk" up your diet if you eat too much of it. Even though nuts and nut butters are good for me, I can't have them in my house any more. I even had to stop buying yogurt because I couldn't stay out of it. I never did keep chips and cookies and ice cream on hand because my husband never eats them so I can't justify buying them just for myself, but I can manage to concoct snacks out stuff I find in my pantry. I recently had company over for dinner and did some baking for that occasion. Now I have flour, sugar, butter and eggs on hand. I've been hearing cookie dough calling to me.

To the OP, I'll define junk food as anything that will put me over my calorie budget. The way I keep from eating it is to reduce the opportunity for me to have it. I avoid convenience stores in order to avoid grabbing a snack while I'm in there. I grocery shop on a full stomach and chew mint gum while I'm in there so that bags of cookies don't mysteriously jump into my cart. I'm vulnerable to cravings if I stay up late, so I try to go to bed before they set in. I fast for part of every day so eating a snack during what is supposed to be my fast period messes up the next day, so I avoid it.

In spite of these things, I still sometimes cave in. Learn, forgive and move on.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    What do you consider junk food?

You need some will power either way. Either to cut it completely or to eat it in moderation.

I agree with this. Whether you decide to cut it out or learn to eat it in moderation, it will take willpower which can be difficult sometimes. You have to figure out which way works best for you, and which way you think will be sustainable long term.
    Different things work for different people, but for me, learning moderation has been key. I have lost over 50lbs since January and have had things like cookies, chocolate, ice cream. No, my diet is not all "junk", far from it. But I certainly make room for it sometimes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've been having trouble with cutting junk food out of my diet. I tried to only eat junk food in moderation. I also tried to make sure it fit my macros, but that eventually led to more craving and overeating. Now I'm back to square one. What method did you guys use to cut junk food out of your diet? What foods did you substitute for junk food?

It's depends on how you are defining junk food. For things like burgers, tacos, pizza and nachos, I just make them myself at home with leaner ingredients (2% cheese, lean meat, reduce fat sour cream, thinner buns, etc.). It's easy to more than cut the calories in half, it's cheaper and tastes better.

For chips and candy, I just don't buy them often. I usually make my own desserts without making enough for leftovers.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Moderation is tough, but you have to learn how to tell yourself "no". I wouldn't give up on moderation just yet. Completely cutting something out may lead to overeating on the items one day down the road.

So what if it does? She's already said moderation is leading to overeating. Isn't it better to risk occassionally overeating than doing habitually?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

If you've repeatedly tried and failed at moderation, it's time to be sane and try something else.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    My method is to avoid it like the plague. I don't go past those aisles in the stores, I avoid the junk machines at work, hell, I'll cross the road to avoid a donut shop. (and before you laugh at me, folks, it has worked. I am at goal.) I do not bring empty calorie items into the house. If husband wants to eat that stuff... and the doctor tells him not to, mind you, but if he still wants to, he can go out to an establishment that serves them and eat them there. The last time I found a low quality icky empty calorie item in my fridge I threw it away and took the trash right out to the dumpster. No more such items have appeared. That said, try frozen fruit smoothies. Strawberries are pretty low cal. Throw frozen strawberries in the food processor with some lowfat milk and a little vanilla. Optionally a frozen banana too if you like them. for 16 oz of this it will be about 200 calories. You don't need to add sugar. Process to the consistency of soft serve and eat with spoon, or add more liquid and drink as a fruit shake.

Notice in advance: I am not going to get sidetracked by ppl looking for arguments into a debate about what constitutes empty calories. This is the official definition and is my only word on the subject. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    For me to be successful at this whole thing I had to come to the realization that I control the food I consume and it doesn't control me. Learning how to eat all the foods you enjoy in moderation will go a long way in helping you succeed with this whole thing over the long term OP.

I agree with this. For me, it comes down to rationalization and mind over matter. I used to tell myself that I should’t eat i.e. chips, because they’re bad for me and I won’t stop until the whole bag is gone. Now I recognize that there’s no such thing as food that’s “bad” and that I in fact do have the power to stop eating whenever I want. Self-talk makes a big difference.

I eat plenty of processed snacky things and my health is excellent. Moderation and balance are where it’s at, and it starts with a positive attitude towards food and recognition that you are in control.

Also, I love ice cream. Nomnomnomnom. :yum:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    My method is to avoid it like the plague. I don't go past those aisles in the stores, I avoid the junk machines at work, hell, I'll cross the road to avoid a donut shop. (and before you laugh at me, folks, it has worked. I am at goal.) I do not bring empty calorie items into the house. If husband wants to eat that stuff... and the doctor tells him not to, mind you, but if he still wants to, he can go out to an establishment that serves them and eat them there. The last time I found a low quality icky empty calorie item in my fridge I threw it away and took the trash right out to the dumpster. No more such items have appeared. That said, try frozen fruit smoothies. Strawberries are pretty low cal. Throw frozen strawberries in the food processor with some lowfat milk and a little vanilla. Optionally a frozen banana too if you like them. for 16 oz of this it will be about 200 calories. You don't need to add sugar. Process to the consistency of soft serve and eat with spoon, or add more liquid and drink as a fruit shake.

Notice in advance: I am not going to get sidetracked by ppl looking for arguments into a debate about what constitutes empty calories. This is the official definition and is my only word on the subject. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html

LOL that link is laughable...

97 percent ground beef is empty calories, really?

and since you are just posting drive by comments, I will leave it there...
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    ^ Yeah, I like my “solid fat” thankyouverymuch. Not a darn thing wrong with whole milk.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

To be fair, the 97% ground beef falls into the "few or no empty calories" column.

That said, the link is still laughable. Pizza might easily be the single most macro- and micro- complete food out there - in moderation there is NO WAY that it could be considered empty calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I think you misread. It says "Extra lean ground beef (96% or more lean)" contains few or no empty calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

To be fair, the 97% ground beef falls into the "few or no empty calories" column.

That said, the link is still laughable. Pizza might be the most complete food out there - in moderation there is NO WAY that it could be considered empty calories.

so which one is it...few or no???? LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options
    here is the list:

Cakes, cookies, pastries, and donuts (contain both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sodas, energy drinks, sports drinks, and fruit drinks (contain added sugars)
    Cheese (contains solid fat)
    Pizza (contains solid fat)
    Ice cream (contains both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sausages, hot dogs, bacon, and ribs (contain solid fat)

how can pizza be empty if it has protein, fat, and carbs? would vegetable pizza still be empty even though you would get a lot of micros from it???
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think you misread. It says "Extra lean ground beef (96% or more lean)" contains few or no empty calories.

it does not change the fact that it is a ridiculous claim ...
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

That said, the link is still laughable. Pizza might be the most complete food out there - in moderation there is NO WAY that it could be considered empty calories.

so which one is it...few or no???? LOL

The answer is maybe ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    here is the list:

how can pizza be empty if it has protein, fat, and carbs? would vegetable pizza still be empty even though you would get a lot of micros from it???

The link clearly defines it's definition of "empty calories" - solid fat and added sugar.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    here is the list:

The link clearly defines it's definition of "empty calories" - solid fat and added sugar.

ok - so ice cream is empty because solid fat, really???
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    here is the list:

Which...IMO...is a dumb definition.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    here is the list:

here is the sentence before the list:

Solid fats and added sugars can make a food or beverage more appealing, but they also can add a lot of calories. The foods and beverages that provide the most empty calories for Americans are:

the clearly list those foods as having the most empty calories...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited May 2015
    Options
    here is the list:

ok - so ice cream is empty because solid fat, really???

By their definition it would contain empty calories.

ETA: Unless maybe it were fat free sugar free ice cream :s