So, what if I hate exercise..

Options
Well, I have been doing well by eating healthier but I have found that I HATE exercise. However, I don't hate it like most people do. I don't mind the being hot and sweaty or the moving around... I hate how boring it it.Walking, running, bicycling.... I make a good playlist to listen to but I really just find myself being bored during the repetitive movements... does anyone else have the same problem?

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I like running and cycling because I enjoy being outside and seeing nature. Are you exercising in a really boring area (or on a machine in the gym)? Can you find a more interesting place to run/ride?

Maybe a class like Zumba or something would be more your speed?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I used to until I found my gym. Supportive fun group of people, plays great music, changes exercise up every day, only one hour and your done!! It's a CrossFit gym. Don't let the name scare you. You will love it if you give it a chance. Yes, it's expensive but if it works for you it is so worth it.
    I never got into walking, running etc...Many of my friends say they wish they found Crossfit earlier...you are still very young!!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    After a while...in life you just do what you got to do and exercise is something our bodies need to be in optimum health.
  • heathergarland2013
    heathergarland2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @PeachyPlum I have taken a zumba class before it is really fun! But to take zumba, I have to have a gym membership. And if I pay $45 for a membership, I feel obligated to work out at the gym on the days that there's no zumba. But the gym is the boring place that I hate, which discourages me. However, I can ride my bike around town and on some back roads and that's really enjoyable! I may have to find some new places to ride lol Thanks for the tip! :smile:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You just haven't found what you like yet. You'll know the difference when you find something that makes you not want to wait until the next day to do it again.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I find going to work every day to be boring. There's no great joy in changing my daughter's diapers every day either. And yet somehow I find a way to stay employed and keep my daughter in clean diapers.
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Try out a Crossfit gym...I can promise you that you'll never be bored. :D
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Workout DVD's and classes will make the time go super fast. If you get the right one for your style you'll get hooked.
    Personal favorite DVD's
    Jillian Michael's Body Revolution, Hard Body, Yoga Meltdown, Kickboxing, a few others but they all start to blend together.
    Turbo Fire with Chalene Johnson is amazing once you have endurance
    Zumba classes and local bootcamps are a ton of fun too because everyone is encouraging but all different levels of fitness.

Do you walk/run outside? Treadmill is just godawful after hitting a trail or pavement.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Do you have any greenways or biking trails in your area?

We have lots where I live - I had to spend $40 for a bike rack for my car, but I can just throw my bike on the rack and be on a really nice trail within 15 minutes. I find it's really peaceful, and because I can travel further in less time, I can explore new areas all the time.

Also, are you sure you need a gym membership? In my area, Zumba classes are offered in church basements and community rec centers all over. Maybe check the Zumba website?
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well, I have been doing well by eating healthier but I have found that I HATE exercise. However, I don't hate it like most people do. I don't mind the being hot and sweaty or the moving around... I hate how boring it it.Walking, running, bicycling.... I make a good playlist to listen to but I really just find myself being bored during the repetitive movements... does anyone else have the same problem?

I hate exercise too but have so much fun doing Wii Fit or Just Dance because to me it's like a game (well I guess technically it is a game, LOL)! Maybe try something like that if you can!
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Find something you like and change it up day to day. As long as you're moving and burning calories who cares how you do it. Dance, run, lift weights, walk, swim, bike, jump on a trampoline, jump rope, play a sport, the options are endless. Good luck! :smiley:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Try a lot of different things and get a good audio book. Or the Zombies Run! app is supposed to be a lot of fun.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Sometimes instead of listening to music I listen to a comedy podcast. If you're on a machine at the gym you can even try watching netflix or hulu on your smart phone. I've done that a few times as well.

You could try group classes at the gym. Those aren't usually boring.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    @PeachyPlum I have taken a zumba class before it is really fun! But to take zumba, I have to have a gym membership. And if I pay $45 for a membership, I feel obligated to work out at the gym on the days that there's no zumba. But the gym is the boring place that I hate, which discourages me. However, I can ride my bike around town and on some back roads and that's really enjoyable! I may have to find some new places to ride lol Thanks for the tip! :smile:

There's Zumba videos on Youtube... I like that better than the DVD's because I can always change the songs every workout, it doesn't get boring for me... and it's free. :smiley:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    exercise isn't to entertain you.

stop thinking you need to be entertained in order to do something and the problem solves itself.
  • JediMasterNaw
    JediMasterNaw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a stationary bike at my house and to relieve the boredom/take my mind off how long my exercise hour feels, I play xbox while I bike. Or I watch a movie/tv show. I've even read a book while on my bike (which is something you could do while at the gym). Anything to distract myself but still get in my workout :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    What about dancing, or finding a team sport you like?
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Listening to audiobooks or podcasts can help.

This too:
    JoRocka wrote: »

I disagree when people say "find something to do that you like!" Then you end up with "exercise" and being "fit". When it's time for fitness, I do the most useful things I can think of. When it's time to enjoy myself, I'm all-in for that too. I don't think it's a good idea to half-*kitten* things.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The most boring thing I do on any given day is sit in a car. Instead of driving places, try walking or riding a bike there. Exercise doesn't have to be a separate thing set aside from the rest of your life. FInd a way to incorporate it into your regular routine.
  • rcontr7
    rcontr7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Listening to audiobooks or podcasts can help.

This too:
    JoRocka wrote: »

I disagree when people say "find something to do that you like!" Then you end up with "exercise" and being "fit". When it's time for fitness, I do the most useful things I can think of. When it's time to enjoy myself, I'm all-in for that too. I don't think it's a good idea to half-*kitten* things.

This is bad advice. Why waste your life doing anything you absolutely hate? Just because you enjoy it doesn't mean it's not hard. You can't use the advice of doing something you enjoy as an excuse to do something easy but that doesn't mean be miserable. I love running and spinning, both of which are high intensity cardio. I hate running on a treadmill but love trail running. I hate choreographed exercise. Do something you love because it's more sustainable than doing something you hate.