Thoughts on IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros)

Options
123457»

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I did mention micros to someone else (not you two ladies) regarding no carb, and the reply I got was that offal had vitamins.

I just didn't know what to say to that.

My memory's shot, I don't even remember the context of the conversation at this point.

On my way out the door, so someone else may have mentioned it and I haven't read yet - the LCD group did a Meat Only challenge for May. If you want to go see how it went, they had ongoing check in threads through the month - it was only a dozen or so that participated afaik.

I love meat...all kinds...but nothing but meat for an entire month is too much even for me. Doing that might be the only thing in the world that could actually make me crave lettuce.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    My gripe with IIFYM is a lot of people completely disregard their micros and therefor their health. If you do it in such a way where you eat the majority of your foods from nutrient dense sources, and fit in the things you like in small amounts, then that's probably a great and sustainable plan for most people.

People who do that aren't really doing IIFYM. It's pretty hard to hit your macros without also hitting your micros, and most people here stress that micros are part of it. IIFYM doesn't translate to 'just eat pizza/twinkies/ice cream so long as you stick to your calories'.

#TeamModeration

Actually I do it. I have no idea why it wouldn't work. This post doesn't make sense, sorry. See diary.
    What you just said makes no sense, not what that person said.

Why doesn't it make sense?
    It means can hit your macros whilst being totally unaware of whether your micros are correct or not. I would imagine that's what most people here do as you can't track micros accurately on MFP.

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

You're wrong. The are 3 groups. The ones that know what they are talking about, the ones that don't know what they are talking about and lastly the group that thinks they know what they are talking about but they really don't.

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
    Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My gripe with IIFYM is a lot of people completely disregard their micros and therefor their health. If you do it in such a way where you eat the majority of your foods from nutrient dense sources, and fit in the things you like in small amounts, then that's probably a great and sustainable plan for most people.

People who do that aren't really doing IIFYM. It's pretty hard to hit your macros without also hitting your micros, and most people here stress that micros are part of it. IIFYM doesn't translate to 'just eat pizza/twinkies/ice cream so long as you stick to your calories'.

#TeamModeration

I agree with this, although I probably shouldn't speak to what IIFYM is, because my dislike of named diets extends to IIFYM too. If anything, I'd say I try to follow a flexible dieting plan with a focus on eating balanced, nutritious, and delicious meals. Often homecooked, with local in-season produce when possible, but I live in a big city with lots of great restaurants of a wide variety of types, and I am not cutting those out of my diet.

Yep, me too! I was just going with the IIFYM thing because that was the tread title. My (limited) reading of IIFYM is that that is what they are meaning. They just stuck a label on it cos apparently that's the thing to do!

IIFYM was actually a canned response on bodybuilding.com...it's not a diet...it's a concept. Basically, "hey bro...if I eat this oatmeal will it destroy my gainz?" Response, "IIFYM". Since then it has been completely bastardized by other websites claiming to be IIFYM and people who have no idea what the original intent of the concept was.

It was born out of the bodybuilding and fitness community...it was never intended to mean eat all the poo. IIFYM is basically a flexible dieting plan with a focus on eating balanced, nutritious, and delicious meals...but that doesn't roll of the tongue when you're responding to a bunch of bros on bodybuilding.com.

While I'm not disagreeing with the post above, there is something that many people don't realize, including what is probably the majority of people on this site about bodybuilding.com, and that's that the term IIFYM amongst a large portion and many of the "bros" in the nutrition section is not respected. There are well respected threads about nutrition that go into nutrition on a level that is rarely reached on here where saying IIFYM is not allowed and can result in you being banned for saying it

Where is the petition for "Shakeology, HerbalLife, and Detox" being a bannable offense on here?

I wish.

The nice that over there is that it's not the mods that ban you, it's the high rep members getting rid of the nonsense.

I will third that ….
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

#TeamModeration

Actually I do it. I have no idea why it wouldn't work. This post doesn't make sense, sorry. See diary.

It means can hit your macros whilst being totally unaware of whether your micros are correct or not. I would imagine that's what most people here do as you can't track micros accurately on MFP.

What statement means that? Ted seems to have misunderstood Nony's comment, and thus his comment made no sense.

Also, you don't need to track micros to be concerned with them or aware of them, as several people explained.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

#TeamModeration

What statement means that? Ted seems to have misunderstood Nony's comment, and thus his comment made no sense.

Also, you don't need to track micros to be concerned with them or aware of them, as several people explained.

This one - "People who do that [disregard their micros] aren't really doing IIFYM. It's pretty hard to hit your macros without also hitting your micros..."

I usually hit my macros but I have no idea whether I'm hitting my micros or not. Some things, such as potassium, aren't even listed on most food packaging and some things are wildly variable, e.g. one carrot might have twice as many vitamins or whatever as the carrot sitting beside it in the bag.

• lemurcat12
    Options

#TeamModeration

This one - "People who do that [disregard their micros] aren't really doing IIFYM. It's pretty hard to hit your macros without also hitting your micros..."

I usually hit my macros but I have no idea whether I'm hitting my micros or not. Some things, such as potassium, aren't even listed on most food packaging and some things are wildly variable, e.g. one carrot might have twice as many vitamins or whatever as the carrot sitting beside it in the bag.

It's super easy to know if you are meeting your potassium if you mostly use the good non-asterisk entries (which are available for whole foods). But I agree that it's hard to track a lot of them at all precisely--the best way to do it, IMO, is to simply focus on eating an overall nutrient-rich and balanced (and somewhat varied, IMO) diet.

I don't think it's that hard to know if you are hitting micros generally or not, as you should understand your own diet. I think people who are thoughtful enough about what they are eating to bother with macros generally are aware of how well they are eating overall, even if they don't personally worry much about the same nutrition goals that I do (for example, some care more about getting minimum protein or, I suppose, staying under a particular carb limit).

You kind of do have to go out of your way to hit a reasonable macro set up with "all junk food" as people like to pretend is common.
  • ndj1979
    Options

#TeamModeration

Please don't come in speaking for someone else assuming you know what they are saying. Useles......

You're wrong. The are 3 groups. The ones that know what they are talking about, the ones that don't know what they are talking about and lastly the group that thinks they know what they are talking about but they really don't.

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
    Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.

The irony is ironic.

deeply ironic
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

#TeamModeration

It's super easy to know if you are meeting your potassium if you mostly use the good non-asterisk entries (which are available for whole foods). But I agree that it's hard to track a lot of them at all precisely--the best way to do it, IMO, is to simply focus on eating an overall nutrient-rich and balanced (and somewhat varied, IMO) diet.

I don't think it's that hard to know if you are hitting micros generally or not, as you should understand your own diet. I think people who are thoughtful enough about what they are eating to bother with macros generally are aware of how well they are eating overall, even if they don't personally worry much about the same nutrition goals that I do (for example, some care more about getting minimum protein or, I suppose, staying under a particular carb limit).

You kind of do have to go out of your way to hit a reasonable macro set up with "all junk food" as people like to pretend is common.

^^This.

#TeamModeration

Please don't come in speaking for someone else assuming you know what they are saying. Useles......

^^And this.

• Chrysalid2014
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The irony is ironic.

Irony usually is! :smile:
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

#TeamModeration

^^This.

#TeamModeration

^^And this.

Oh, but I was merely trying to be helpful.... As you both took the trouble to post that you didn't understand something that was (to me) quite obvious.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

#TeamModeration

Eh... depends. A good bit of my potassium comes from yogurt. Fage doesn't list the content on the packaging. Any packaged food someone eats might not have it listed, because it's one of those not required things.

• ndj1979
    Options

#TeamModeration

^^This.

#TeamModeration

^^And this.

Oh, but I was merely trying to be helpful.... As you both took the trouble to post that you didn't understand something that was (to me) quite obvious.

shocking, you and Ted speak the same language…..no wonder you decided to wk him ...
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options

#TeamModeration

Eh... depends. A good bit of my potassium comes from yogurt. Fage doesn't list the content on the packaging. Any packaged food someone eats might not have it listed, because it's one of those not required things.

Yeah, you can miss a lot of the potassium, but so much stuff has potassium that if you use the non asterisked entries for as much stuff as possible I think you can feel comfortable that you are good, especially if you know what else has it. (I'm always way over, but I do use a lot of those entries.)

Similarly, I'm often under on iron according to MFP, but I can see that some stuff I eat with iron doesn't have the information, and I know what I eat, so I'm good.

Thank goodness, since I hate Cheerios! ;-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

#TeamModeration

^^This.

#TeamModeration

^^And this.

I wonder why more people here don't just nicely ask for clarification when they don't understand something. Like on that thread where the OP said she'd eaten 90 calories and felt full. People posted on the thread for pages wondering if she meant 900 calories. I wrote to her and asked her to come back to the thread and clarify, which she did.

• ndj1979
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

#TeamModeration

^^This.

#TeamModeration

^^And this.

I wonder why more people here don't just nicely ask for clarification when they don't understand something. Like on that thread where the OP said she'd eaten 90 calories and felt full. People posted on the thread for pages wondering if she meant 900 calories. I wrote to her and asked her to come back to the thread and clarify, which she did.

because that poster has a history of making ridiculous claims that make zero sense..so there is no need for clarification, as the clarification will just further muddy the waters.
  • exoticpumpkin
    exoticpumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So far the macro thing has been working for me. I'm still new to it and working my way through planning my days so it does take a little effort. It does allow me to make better more conscious decisions, especially when it comes to eating more veg, so I like it for that. Also feel like I have more energy when I'm lifting so that's a plus. I'm looking forward to seeing where I'm at in a few months with planning meals, finding new recipes to make and foods to eat.

I'm looking for some friends who do the macro thing as well, maybe to give some input on my food log or so I can get ideas for foods I hadn't though of from theirs. Add me if you like.

Thanks