Sushi You will be the death of me

13»

Replies

• prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    I've had raw tuna it was ok but I am not a huge fan of it no. I think because I do like the cooked fish ones they seem to be more calories then the non-cooked kind.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    I've had raw tuna it was ok but I am not a huge fan of it no. I think because I do like the cooked fish ones they seem to be more calories then the non-cooked kind.

True usually...sashimi/nigiri don't generally have all of the sauces or the deep fried elements so they are usually much lower calorie. Tempura rolls are so good though...
  • prettyleelee

True usually...sashimi/nigiri don't generally have all of the sauces or the deep fried elements so they are usually much lower calorie. Tempura rolls are so good though...

They are my favorite and than they add EEL Sauce to them it makes it oh so much better lol.
  • abetterluke

They are my favorite and than they add EEL Sauce to them it makes it oh so much better lol.

The sushi place I usually go has a "Spicy Seared Salmon" type of nigiri that is a piece of salmon on top of a bed of rice but then they take a little bit of this spicy mayo that they make and put it on top and then take a blow torch to it for a few seconds. It's freaking amazing. Probably horrible as far as calories go but man I could eat my body weight in those things.
  • prettyleelee

The sushi place I usually go has a "Spicy Seared Salmon" type of nigiri that is a piece of salmon on top of a bed of rice but then they take a little bit of this spicy mayo that they make and put it on top and then take a blow torch to it for a few seconds. It's freaking amazing. Probably horrible as far as calories go but man I could eat my body weight in those things.

We have a place here that does a Playboy roll (spicy tuna, cream cheese, Asparagus, Temp. Shrimp, Shrimp on top with a spicy mayo) they serve it flaming and it is delish Yummy.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited May 2015
    6 spicy tuna rolls at about 300 calories and 24 grams of protein seems like a perfect lunch for me. I'd do sashimi if I were trying to really watch carbs but, for my goals, a roll is about the perfect macro balance.

It's not the food that's typically the problem, it's the amount of food. Years ago, I'd go do cardio at the gym once a week with some friends and we'd go to a Japanese place after and eat these HUGE meals I'd typically order California rolls, spicy tuna rolls, tuna poke, then a bento and maybe a beer --and I couldn't figure out why I never lost weight from all that exercise.

@snivilis Lots of squid in the MFP database-you should be able to find an entry to help you log.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    I love sushi as well, and have learned how to make a lot of the rolls that I love at home. When I do go out for it, I just guesstimate as best as I can and enjoy!
  • prettyleelee
    6 spicy tuna rolls at about 300 calories and 24 grams of protein seems like a perfect lunch for me. I'd do sashimi if I were trying to really watch carbs but, for my goals, a roll is about the perfect macro balance.

It's not the food that's typically the problem, it's the amount of food. Years ago, I'd go do cardio at the gym once a week with some friends and we'd go to a Japanese place after and eat these HUGE meals I'd typically order California rolls, spicy tuna rolls, tuna poke, then a bento and maybe a beer --and I couldn't figure out why I never lost weight from all that exercise.

@snivilis Lots of squid in the MFP database-you should be able to find an entry to help you log.

6 rolls or pieces that's a lot of rolls for such little calories?
  • disasterman
    edited May 2015

It's what MFP lists but I think it's about right- depends of course on the size of the rolls and exactly what's in them. A cup of white rice has ~200 calories. Three ounces of raw ahi tuna is about 90 calories. The nori and hot sauce - depending on how it's made, add negligible calories and same for a little soy and wasabi.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    I sympathize. :( I've done better when sticking to sashimi, but I have a hard time not going for the Philly roll (with all of its amazing cream cheese), or a fattier unagi roll. On the plus side, I've recently discovered how light Miso Soup can be, so I fill up a little with a cup beforehand and to help cut my roll portions a bit.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Has anyone here gotten good at making sushi? I'd like to take a class but curious about others experiences. It seems like it should be so easy but I know sushi chefs spend years learning technique so I'm guessing it's not nearly as easy as it seems.

I started making it at home with my daughter when she was no more than 10 years old...it's been our traditional Super Bowl snack ever since! (We just do avocado, cucumber, and occasionally scrambled egg, I leave the fish to the local place that I know has a good source for fresh) We learned from watching You Tube videos. It's not hard at all!

To reduce calories, just use MORE of the veg filling and less rice in your rolls. Benefit of making your own! NOM NOM NOM.
  • abbiperets
    abbiperets Posts: 10 Member
    I could have written this! Today, I took my kid to the ER for a broken arm, and afterwards we went out for sushi. The hospital always throws me off my game because one of my other kids has leukemia and I basically lived at the hospital for 18 months. (Kid is doing great. Full head of hair, back in school. I'm the one with PTSD.) Anyway, I made sure to ENJOY the sushi. A LOT. I think that's the key -- keep it as an occasional thing, rather than a regular thing, and really enjoy it.
  • abetterluke

It's what MFP lists but I think it's about right- depends of course on the size of the rolls and exactly what's in them. A cup of white rice has ~200 calories. Three ounces of raw ahi tuna is about 90 calories. The nori and hot sauce - depending on how it's made, add negligible calories and same for a little soy and wasabi.

I think the confusion is the definition of "rolls"

1 "roll" should probably be around 300 calories depending on ingredients. That roll would be cut into 6 pieces.

6 rolls would be an insane amount of calories.

• disasterman

I think the confusion is the definition of "rolls"

1 "roll" should probably be around 300 calories depending on ingredients. That roll would be cut into 6 pieces.

6 rolls would be an insane amount of calories.
    You might be right. This is a perfect lunch for me and I think 300 calories is about right. It's 6 pieces-some restaurant menus and the MFP database call this 6 rolls although I believe you are technically sushi chef correct:

thumb_600.jpg?1351961329
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Sigh. I love sushi. But I hardly have it anymore and when I do it's mostly maki rolls or sashimi now. It's not the higher calories that bother me, it's that the rice just has too many calories and doesn't fill me up one bit. I don't even like the fancy rolls and stick to plain fish... but it still doesn't fill me up for the calories!

Wegmans has some rice paper sushi rolls that are delicious and only 140 calories though! I need to get those again...
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    SteveKroll wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Sushi is awesome. Just plan for it. And please lose the "high carbs" from your vocabulary.
    Understand that some of us on MFP are diabetic. So yeah, "high carbs" are something not all of us can handle.

You eat your way. Others will eat theirs. The last thing any of us need is food police.

;) very good points!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    I make a deconstructed sushi when I get an urge for sushi because I live 56 miles from the nearest sushi restaurant. Usually it satisfies me for a while. I always keep a jar of pickled ginger on hand, plus wasabi powder or paste, then layer up rice/seafood/cucumber spears/avocado, or whatever I'm craving. I don't need a wrapper. Have done a salad like this too. Peanut/avocado rolls are easiest, and of course the fake crab if you need a California roll taste.

55835802.png