Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any type 2 diabetics using Atkins?

I was recently diagnosed and have heard of good results with it. Has anyone had any experiences, good or bad?

Replies

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    I'm not type 2 and I've never done Atkins. By good results do you mean quick weightloss or a positive effect on your diabetes? Why not make the changes that the doctors have suggested and log everything before embarking on a "diet"?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    You'll find a lot of people who've been prescribed low carb here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • GemmaMcErlean
    GemmaMcErlean Posts: 7 Member
    I'm looking for more effect on the diabetes, though weight loss will come from that. Honestly I haven't been prescribed any particular way of eating as yet.

Thanks for the link:)
  • EmPenfold
    EmPenfold Posts: 4 Member
    I'm a type 1, which is quite different really... and I don't do Atkins as such, but I do stick to low carb. Not drastically low (under 100g per day, generally 50 or less). It's a VERY good thing to do to help your pancreas!! It does need to be a way of life though, not a diet.
    Once you know your pancreas is struggling, as you do when you've been diagnosed with type 2 or pre-diabetes, it makes sense to go easy on the carbs.
    Lots of people don't get it, some see it as a fad diet or whatever, but it's what your body needs - so yes, I highly recommend it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Remember that, by reducing calories and losing weight, you are lowering your blood sugar. :)
    Atkins is one way to lose weight that works for some people.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I know how overwhelming being diagnosed can be (I've been there). You're still trying to get used to the fact and wanting to do anything you can to reduce your blood sugar. What you need to do is think long term. After a while, believe it or not, you may not be as motivated to control your blood sugar as you are now and whatever strategy you commit to needs to account for that and to become a daily routine that happens without mental effort.

Atkins is a good way to control your carbs and lower your medication doses. Weight loss is another (some cases even go into remission after serious weight loss). Try it out for a month or two and re-evaluate. Do you see yourself eating this way comfortably for the rest of your life? If yes, then you've found what works for you long term. If not, then you may need to change your strategy to something that may be easier to turn into a mindless habit because consistency is the most important thing for diabetes management.

One thing to keep in mind if you do decide Atkins is a viable lifelong commitment: if you end up on insulin, don't count carbs the way Atkins does for your insulin dosing. Atkins tends to ignore quite a few carbs in the form of fiber and call it "net carbs". While that works for a person who is looking to lose weight it could create dosage problems for a diabetic on insulin.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    I'm looking for more effect on the diabetes, though weight loss will come from that. Honestly I haven't been prescribed any particular way of eating as yet.

Over a 2 year span I have reversed my type 2 diabetes.

In a nutshell I did what some would call a clean sensible version of the Paleo diet.

Eating lots of good healthy vegetables, no bread, pasta, rice of any kind, and very little grain based food.

The meat I ate was lean, lots of fish and chicken

That diet got me off high blood pressure medicine, total cholesterol under 130, and reversed my diabetes.

And as a side bonus lost over 115 lbs in 15 months. 20 more to go!

It can be done.

Remember, all carbs turn to sugar once digested. Don't believe the "good carb" hype. For non diabetics that is true. For a diabetic vegetable based carbs are most efficient and still limit them.

Also check out a topic called digestive burden of food. It takes more calories to digest and process some foods than others. Some fibrous vegetables are almost net zero calories after digestive burden is factored in

You can do it!

Feel free to friend me if you would like to get a little more detail.

I'm in this for life!!
  • amusedmonkey

Over a 2 year span I have reversed my type 2 diabetes.

In a nutshell I did what some would call a clean sensible version of the Paleo diet.

Eating lots of good healthy vegetables, no bread, pasta, rice of any kind, and very little grain based food.

The meat I ate was lean, lots of fish and chicken

That diet got me off high blood pressure medicine, total cholesterol under 130, and reversed my diabetes.

And as a side bonus lost over 115 lbs in 15 months. 20 more to go!

It can be done.

Remember, all carbs turn to sugar once digested. Don't believe the "good carb" hype. For non diabetics that is true. For a diabetic vegetable based carbs are most efficient and still limit them.

Also check out a topic called digestive burden of food. It takes more calories to digest and process some foods than others. Some fibrous vegetables are almost net zero calories after digestive burden is factored in

You can do it!

Feel free to friend me if you would like to get a little more detail.

I'm in this for life!!

I'm glad you did well for yourself and found a way that helped you lose weight and improve your health, but it's the weight loss that got you off your medications, not being Paleo. I corrected my blood sugar and cholesterol eating a moderate carb diet (between 120g and 220g) that included sugar and starches in moderation and consisted mostly of grains and dairy. The reason my blood sugar is in the normal range now is because I lost a lot of weight. The way I did it had nothing to do with it. I did have to be careful not to consume more than 40 grams of carbs at one setting to avoid high spikes, but it was more sustainable for me than cutting out high carb foods all together.

What people need to understand is that sustainability is everything when it comes to diabetes. A diabetic can't afford to "fall off the wagon" because "the diet is too stressful". That's why it should be a personal quest to find the most sustainable way instead of this diet or that diet.

It should also be mentioned that not everyone will go into remission after losing weight. Although there will be improvements, a lot of people will still be diabetic at goal weight. So, OP, if you happen to be one of them don't feel like you've done something wrong. Your prognosis as a diabetic normal weight person is still much better than an overweight diabetic.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Carbohydrate restriction gives you a quick reduction in blood glucose, way before significant weight loss occurs. Type 2 diabetes is well served by eating less carbohydrate.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Yes, extreme carb restriction can cause you to lose weight quickly. Yes, it can make your blood sugar numbers appear better. But, eating below 40% carbohydrates for a long period can also damage your health in a big way, and you won't know it for a long time. Got a family member who did it.

I was prediabetic for 35 years, finally tipped over this year. I picked up a book called the 2-day Diabetes Diet, read it, found it sensible and tried it. It requires 4 servings of vegetables, 2 servings of fruit, and 2 servings of dairy every day. The other groups (protein, fat, and starches/whole grains) are changed depending upon which of two phases (fast or non-fast) you are in that day. I am losing weight at about 1-2 lb a week, but the biggest change has come in my fasting blood sugar. My 30-day average has dropped 3 points in the last week. When I started, I just wanted to get it back below 110 (been 134 for 5-6 years). Now I want (and expect) to get it back into the normal range (below 100).

If you want to do a special diet to help your diabetes, do yourself a favor and pick one based on science rather than anecdote like Atkins. Losing weight by calorie restriction with sensible macros will help diabetes in most individuals, but it won't happen overnight.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Yes, extreme carb restriction can cause you to lose weight quickly. Yes, it can make your blood sugar numbers appear better. But, eating below 40% carbohydrates for a long period can also damage your health in a big way, and you won't know it for a long time. Got a family member who did it.

I was prediabetic for 35 years, finally tipped over this year. I picked up a book called the 2-day Diabetes Diet, read it, found it sensible and tried it. It requires 4 servings of vegetables, 2 servings of fruit, and 2 servings of dairy every day. The other groups (protein, fat, and starches/whole grains) are changed depending upon which of two phases (fast or non-fast) you are in that day. I am losing weight at about 1-2 lb a week, but the biggest change has come in my fasting blood sugar. My 30-day average has dropped 3 points in the last week. When I started, I just wanted to get it back below 110 (been 134 for 5-6 years). Now I want (and expect) to get it back into the normal range (below 100).

If you want to do a special diet to help your diabetes, do yourself a favor and pick one based on science rather than anecdote like Atkins. Losing weight by calorie restriction with sensible macros will help diabetes in most individuals, but it won't happen overnight.

It's been 15 years - exactly when am I going to see this mysterious "damage" that you can't even specify?
  • yarwell
  • yarwell
    Weight loss doesn't guarantee improvements to diabetes
    1743-7075-5-36-2.jpg

from http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/5/1/36
  • amusedmonkey
    yarwell wrote: »
    1743-7075-5-36-2.jpg

I beg to differ. Although weight loss does not guarantee a lowered blood sugar, especially for those who have had it for years (already progressed from insulin resistance to insulin insufficiency), it does improve many health markers and complications related to diabetes as well as mortality. A short study which only lead to modest weight loss (less than 10% of weight) does not prove anything regarding weight loss in relation to diabetes, and the design of the study was not focused on this outcome anyway.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    I am a diabetic who reduces her blood glucose to normal values by limiting my carbs to 50g per day. The carbs I eat are mainly from nuts, leafy greens/veggies, but no starches.
  • GemmaMcErlean
    GemmaMcErlean Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am definitely going to limit carbs for a while and see how I do. I don't particularly want to go to an absolute extreme unless necessary.

My reading was 18 mmol fasting when I started last month and now I have it down to 13 fasting which I hope will keep going down!

• ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Gemma, 13 is still quite a lot. You probably know that. If you dont want medications, you should limit your carbs except those coming from veggies. Good luck.
  • yarwell
    1743-7075-5-36-2.jpg

I beg to differ. Although weight loss does not guarantee a lowered blood sugar, especially for those who have had it for years (already progressed from insulin resistance to insulin insufficiency), it does improve many health markers and complications related to diabetes as well as mortality. A short study which only lead to modest weight loss (less than 10% of weight) does not prove anything regarding weight loss in relation to diabetes, and the design of the study was not focused on this outcome anyway.

Well there were 15 subjects losing weight with no improvement (or decline) in HbA1C, about 20% of the study population (presumably a bigger proportion of the completers). This included the three "biggest losers" at 20 kg+ of loss.

It may have been complicated by a large number of the subjects reducing medication, but the focus on weight loss for diabetics seems a bit myopic.

• tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    edited May 2015
    My mother has type 2 diabetes. She has never been mnore than 10 lbs overweight in her life, and is currently a little underweight. The ONLY thing that helps her is eating low carb. IF she isn't eating low carb, she HAS to take medication. But if she cuts the sugar, potatoes and rice, she can go off medication.

SO I disagree that the weight loss has much to do with it. it might HELP all kind of numbers to be at a healthy weight, but millions of people (15-20% of cases) have type 2 diabetes at a healthy weight. The weight loss theory doesn't really hold water. A great many people are overweight BECAUSE they eat too much "sugar" in the form of sugar or carbohydrate, and because they are insulin resistant. I think the reduction of carbs helps the diabetic reactions, and thus reduces weight. That's why people can go low carb, eat MORE calories than on a low fat diet, high carb diet and still lose weight. Not everyone is the same. A SIMPLE CICO does not work for everyone. I have seen people here suffering under 1000 cals a day and eating ABSOLUTE CRAP. NO one can tell me that's better or healthier than eating low carb.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited May 2015
    1743-7075-5-36-2.jpg

Well there were 15 subjects losing weight with no improvement (or decline) in HbA1C, about 20% of the study population (presumably a bigger proportion of the completers). This included the three "biggest losers" at 20 kg+ of loss.

It may have been complicated by a large number of the subjects reducing medication, but the focus on weight loss for diabetics seems a bit myopic.

Something must be lost in translation here. Blood sugar reduction is not guaranteed, which I addressed earlier even before your post. Those who have been diabetic for a short period and are overweight are more likely to experience reduction and even remission. Those who have already passed the threshold from resistance to insufficiency will not experience blood sugar reduction, and even if they did it would be negligible. What I'm trying to convey here that diabetics who were diagnosed when they were obese experience an improvement to their condition in terms of life expectancy and quality of life if they lose weight regardless of their blood glucose improvement (or lack of).

Note I'm no way disputing that carb control is essential for diabetics, but my earlier points were meant to highlight that consistency is more important than attempting to adhere to a diet that is too stressful or hard, hopping on and off the wagon. Inconsistency and yoyo carbing can produce huge blood spikes which are pretty dangerous. A slightly higher but steady baseline sugar reading which is well-controlled with medications is far better than wild variations.