Hello! Anyone doing Paleo?

Options
Almost 40, Married mom of twin girls (16). We are from Kentucky, Hi y'all! I have a goal and a plan to reset my family and their awful eating/exercise habits! We are all obese and that ends!

Replies

• brandlefly
    brandlefly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I looked into this diet and saw my nutritionist and naturalist. Both of them counselled me against Paleo as it is not the healthiest diet metabolically nor is it complete nutrition. Both said that it was the 'new Atkins diet' and was simply not an option for me. They recommended instead, a zero processed food diet, high in protein and rich in seasonal vegetables.

I never buy processed foods, so that was not a problem. I am doing really well and have plenty to eat.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    hgoforth75 wrote: »
    Almost 40, Married mom of twin girls (16). We are from Kentucky, Hi y'all! I have a goal and a plan to reset my family and their awful eating/exercise habits! We are all obese and that ends!

I say go for it! Everyone's body is different but for me I have done great on limiting dairy..sugar.. And low glycemic. Paleo seems to incorporate it all...and you can have bacon! Haha

If you seriously want to give it a try feel free to add me!

• Rampant328
    Rampant328 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Go to www.4leafprogram.com and really get healthy; it's free.
  • NicoleSimmons2015
    NicoleSimmons2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Paleo (with a few tweaks here and there) and it really agrees with me. My hair and skin have never looked better and I'm feeling really good. It's been about 6 weeks for me. It's more of a lifestyle change for me, I plan to stay on this path with indulges here and there of course. paired with walking and lifting I am down 14lbs. Feel free to add me!

Also I get some recipes and follow this particular blog with Paleo type recipes, organic, non GMO- the blog is good info and she's funny.
    Google - ancestral nutrition dani stout

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Check out this forum for more ideas. For pain management I found out about Low Carb High Fat eating lifestyle. After 8 months without carbs (<50 grams daily) I plan to eat LCHF for the rest of my live. It may be Paleo like in some ways based on what Nicole just posted about skin and hair. At 64 to be told by some you look younger each time they see you seems impossible but it does happen.

• bmaw01
    bmaw01 Posts: 40 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I like to do intermittent fastening with a side of paleo. I don't follow the paleo diet faithfully, but I've been adding more meat and less carbs into my diet.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Love Paleo - not 100% as I eat yogurt (and really have an issue with getting rid of it). Natural Force supplements are Paleo Foundation certified - but expensive so I supplement with Legion. I consider myself 80/20 and completely disagree with @brandlefly's doctor. If you eat fruits, non-starchy veggies, lean meats, eggs, nuts/seeds - my own doctor will tell you that's just fine. My blood work is perfect.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    brandlefly wrote: »
    I looked into this diet and saw my nutritionist and naturalist. Both of them counselled me against Paleo as it is not the healthiest diet metabolically nor is it complete nutrition. Both said that it was the 'new Atkins diet' and was simply not an option for me. They recommended instead, a zero processed food diet, high in protein and rich in seasonal vegetables.

I never buy processed foods, so that was not a problem. I am doing really well and have plenty to eat.

They were wrong. It's not a new atkins diet. I could see why a mainstream PCP would say that, but surprised the nutritionist and NP would.

OP: there's an active paleo/primal group on here if you're interested in ancestral eating.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You could do paleo, yes, and if you really want to then that's up to you... but it's harder to follow than a simple calorie deficit. I tried it but couldn't stick to it. If this is YOUR plan to make your whole family lose weight then I think they would probably argue less with just... eating less, rather than changing their whole diets in a way that isn't really necessary. I remember when I was a 16-year-old girl and I would have totally hated if my dad had forced me to do a diet that I didn't want to do. I don't want to give up bread or yoghurt or milk! But my dad did cook for us, so what would have worked - and what might work better for you - is just cooking less of the same stuff, or if it's really unhealthy calorific stuff, make a few healthy swaps. Leaner cuts of steak, vegetables instead of fries, etc. I have nothing against paleo, and certainly there's nothing wrong with it... there are just easier ways of losing weight (and if you're not in a calorie deficit on paleo you won't lose) especially for a whole family who have different tastes and needs.
  • hgoforth75
    hgoforth75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well honestly I tweaked the diet restrictions from the Paleo, I have included strict "moderation" rules from some of the dairy, grains and such. I have taken all processed foods from the house! I have started watching caloric intake of all my family by being the woman doing the cooking
    You could do paleo, yes, and if you really want to then that's up to you... but it's harder to follow than a simple calorie deficit. I tried it but couldn't stick to it. If this is YOUR plan to make your whole family lose weight then I think they would probably argue less with just... eating less, rather than changing their whole diets in a way that isn't really necessary. I remember when I was a 16-year-old girl and I would have totally hated if my dad had forced me to do a diet that I didn't want to do. I don't want to give up bread or yoghurt or milk! But my dad did cook for us, so what would have worked - and what might work better for you - is just cooking less of the same stuff, or if it's really unhealthy calorific stuff, make a few healthy swaps. Leaner cuts of steak, vegetables instead of fries, etc. I have nothing against paleo, and certainly there's nothing wrong with it... there are just easier ways of losing weight (and if you're not in a calorie deficit on paleo you won't lose) especially for a whole family who have different tastes and needs.

Well I'm tweaking the Paleo a little too. I still eat yogurt and skim milk. And I will fight you low down over my cheeses!