Does Apple cider vinegar actually help?

Options
becca_maee
becca_maee Posts: 144 Member
I've seen stuff on Facebook saying if you drink water with apple cider vinegar, lemon and honey it aids in weight loss by upping your metabolism. I mean, I know that if you just eat whatever and don't workout but drink the stuff it's obviously not going to help. And I know that if you diet and exercise, you will lose weight but I was wondering if the stuff does help it? I'm in a rut now I was losing about 2 lbs a week and now I'm losing .4 and .2 a week. Still losing but it's slowed down sooo much. Thought this drink might be worth a try but again I was wondering if anyone's tried it?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    No.
  • becca_maee
    becca_maee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well that's disappointing
  • KandieCarmella
    KandieCarmella Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    ACTUALLY yes... it keeps your veins clean and helps boost your metabolism. I could go on and on but maybe not as far as weightloss is directly concerned
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    ACTUALLY yes... it keeps your veins clean and helps boost your metabolism. I could go on and on but maybe not as far as weightloss is directly concerned

How does it clean your veins?
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    please explain the vein cleansing thing.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    From WebMD:
    The only study to test the idea in people was done in Japan. In the study, 175 obese but healthy people took either vinegar or water daily for 12 weeks. Their diets were similar. They kept food journals. At the end of the study, those who used vinegar had lost slightly more weight. On average, the vinegar group lost 1-2 pounds over the 3-month period. They gained it all back after the study was over.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/apple-cider-vinegar-and-health

There's some other stuff about blood sugar, but the studies are not conclusive about any useful benefit if you're diabetic. And drinking it can mess up your tooth enamel.

I like apple cider vinegar to make quick pickles and kimchi, but I don't use it for any supposed health benefits.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Drinking apple cider vinegar can curb your appetite a bit (by making you feel like you're gonna puke) but that's about it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar doesn't help with weight loss. And doesn't speed up metabolism. Those are myths.
    I actually use it for many things though, but not weight loss.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you have a Korean or Japanese market near you, they actually have vinegars that are made for drinking. Still no proof of any health benefits, but at least the experience drinking the stuff might be more pleasant.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's great in recipes.
  • Saryia
    Saryia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I read something about how apple cider vinegar can balance out your body's ph or something...don't quote me on this...supposedly drinking coffee, soda and juices can alter your ph, not sure how that's important or relevant.

In any case...if you like the taste, it's really good! Dilute it with water, add cinnamon and a bit of honey and it tastes like apple pie.

Apple cider vingear makes me feel really good when I drink it, I do feel like there might be some health benefits but I don't know what they are or if they're relevant to the everyday person already eating a healthy diet.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Saryia wrote: »
    I read something about how apple cider vinegar can balance out your body's ph or something...don't quote me on this...supposedly drinking coffee, soda and juices can alter your ph, not sure how that's important or relevant.

No.

That is just one of the many lies the likes of Food Babe and Dr Oz tell.

If anything altered your pH, it would kill you.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It is popular with people that have gout as an anti inflammatory helper by slightly lowering body ph levels

http://authoritynutrition.com/6-proven-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/

It has been in folk medicine for a long time

Probably worth a Google search.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Authoritynutrition, despite its name, is not an authority on nutrition.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Drinking apple cider vinegar can curb your appetite a bit (by making you feel like you're gonna puke) but that's about it.

Agree on the feeling like you're going to puke.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It is popular with people that have gout as an anti inflammatory helper by slightly lowering body ph levels

http://authoritynutrition.com/6-proven-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/

It has been in folk medicine for a long time

Probably worth a Google search.

Just no. You cannot bypass your body's carefully kept state of homeostasis with something you ingest.

The whole thing about acid/alkaline balance is woo of the highest order.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

This. Oh God, this.