Am I the only person who doesn't go to the gym?

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    I don't do gyms either. Too much I can do around (or find near) to do. Like walking on treadmill or around property; walking in my son's pool until I know I have gotten too much sun for a day, and just keeping up with my diary for calories and doing the things I like to do with my hubby. My former S-n-L took belly dancing classes and loved it. I'd like to learn it, too; or maybe hula dancing - faster than hula hooping for sure; but, I also do hula hooping as exercise. I'd rather take mini-vacations than put my money into a gym when I can exercise for free at home. Gyms are for body builders and women who like that 'look'. A little 'extreme' for my liking - and if they don't keep it up, it turns to blubber. LOL!
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member
    Nope, you don't really need a gym. Luckily I have a small weight room at work that I can use an am often the only one in it. But if for some reason I can't use it, I just work out at home. There are so many options like others have said that you don't need to go to a gym. It's great for those that can and that like it, but it's not for everybody. Between body weight exercises, kettlebells, a suspension trainer, a couple of dumbbells, bands, running, walking, etc...you can get the exercise you need at home. You are not alone!!
  • FuriousFurian
    FuriousFurian Posts: 51 Member
    I do lots of walking; easy to fit into my day
  • bestmeicanbe1
    bestmeicanbe1 Posts: 160 Member
    I don't go either. I'm a stay at home mom of two and my husband full time so there's no way I could go even if I wanted to.
    For exercise I play with my kids, take walks, do Zumba on the xbox, go on my elliptical or find some circuit workouts on pinterest And just do those in my living room. So im still active I just don't go to the gym.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I'm lucky enough to live backed on to a nature reserve, I love to run/hike/walk through there. The thought of being in doors in gym does not appeal to me.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    The outside is my gym. :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    No gym membership here either. I go on daily walks/hikes and simple strength training with dumbbells at home.
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    No gym for me either. I am a stay at home mom with a 2 year old and a small business I run from home with a husband who works full time and is in graduate school, so there is no time for a gym. I do have an elliptical machine I use, I go for walks, do some squats and light weights, and I run around at the playground with my daughter. You don't need a gym to succeed!
  • meggrose1985
    meggrose1985 Posts: 15 Member
    No gym for me. Jillian Michaels is my gurl, though.
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Nah, i'm not a gym person either. I went maybe twice lately but it was in my school's gym class program, it was nice but I know myself enough to know that if I went regularly i'd quickly lose interest. Not entertaining enough, it's you alone with too many machines around...I like taking sport/dance classes a lot lot more, and doing my own thing but outside. Exercising outside > everything else, imo.
    I guess I would go to the gym once every two weeks or something when I have a day where i'm free and bored (or bad weather days), since i'm looking into gaining muscle some heavy lifting etc could really help, but eh...i need to keep my money and the thing is unfortunately not free.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I don't go to a gym and I've been a member here on MFP for 2 years...

I started out doing home dvds with small hand weights and a mat and going for walks.

I invested in some weights, bench, plates and my husband built me a squat rack...I still use those items along with walking and running...

I thought about joining a gym and went in...was there for 8 mins and left as they weren't helpful for even a tour....and his first words to me were...cardio is upstairs...( I wasn't running at that point) and when I asked about the power rack...he said "the smith machine is over there"...I just shook my head.

You don't need a gym to workout.

Try fitnessblender.com, I am my own gym, convict conditioning or any of jillian michaels dvd...or invest in equipment for home...best investment is that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    draznyth wrote: »
    the money I saved on canceling my gym membership paid for my power rack, bar, bench, weights, etc. in about 12 months.

Yup for me and my husband 1200 a year for 24 hour gym... :o ...I would prefer to invest that in more plates for home since my son is a welder and can make me a power cage for about 300$
  • andreamulhall
    andreamulhall Posts: 81 Member
    I don't use a gym I have a toddler and he enjoys going for walks in his buggy , I also just started doing a workout DVD at home .
  • AllisonDeLeon10
    AllisonDeLeon10 Posts: 6 Member
    No gym as well. I also have children. A 2 yr old and 2 month old. So my free time is pretty much non existence.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    draznyth wrote: »
    the money I saved on canceling my gym membership paid for my power rack, bar, bench, weights, etc. in about 12 months.

Same here. I was a 24Hour Fitness member, but got frustrated at paying monthly fees for broken equipment, un-kept restroom/shower facilities, gym etiquette being merely a suggestion, and staff that looked blankly when I brought concerns to their attention.

The $$ saved has gone into Movement Trackers, Proper gear for outdoors(walking shoes, Mountain Bike, etc) and not being denied access to working out AND paying for it.

• SAP55W
    SAP55W Posts: 6 Member
    I don't do the gym either. I'm a Pre School teacher by morning and sit at a desk in the afternoon. I take lots of walks but, the rain had had me inside lately. Thanks for not making me feel alone.
  • Shandajh
    Shandajh Posts: 57 Member
    I don't go to the gym, walk, do home exercise - nothing, but I'm ok with that, because I'm working on one goal at a time. My first goal is to get into a good pattern of eating healthy daily, because for me, that takes an enormous amount of time - to plan all my meals for the next day and record them here on myfitnesspal. The way i see it is that the time I could be working out, is spent planning meals and to be honest, I'm losing way more weight just watching my calories than I ever did through years of working out. But on the other side of that coin, I know I need to start working out to be healthy and slow the aging process. I will sooner or later. I'm just not to that goal yet.
  • veekapolak
    veekapolak Posts: 8 Member
    I walk and try to run :)
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    I didn't go to the gym last time I lost 80 lbs. I just rode my bike once in awhile. And when I go to the gym now, I just use the stationary bike. And occasionally shadow my boyfriend on machines when he does upper body. But I don't know what I'm doing! haha!

I bought a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor and try to keep my heart rate up at 150 for 30-minutes. Sometimes I do two sessions on the bike. Then I just input the info the heart rate monitor gives me for my calorie burn into MFP. Pretty simple!

But, no, you're fine! Most of us work out because we like how it makes us feel and because it means we can eat more. ;p You're just as part of the gang as anyone. Keep it up!