Is it worth it to quit diet soda? Have you?

Options

Replies

• jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to diet cokes! I gradually stopped drinking them completely. Now I really don't miss them or crave then at all. Since you still occasionally want one go ahead and have a little. If you keep fighting the urge, you will want it more. Eventually you will lose the taste for it and it won't be as great as you thought it would be anymore. Good luck!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It is worth it to stop drinking soda period. It has zero benefits. Then again I never got into soda to begin with so maybe it has some magical benefit I do not know about
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    It is worth it to stop drinking soda period. It has zero benefits. Then again I never got into soda to begin with so maybe it has some magical benefit I do not know about

It makes me happy. I consider that a pretty good benefit!

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I haven't quit anything.

I used to drink regular soda frequently, years ago when I was obese.
    I gave it up for awhile to lose weight, and it helped. I don't suggest telling yourself you'll never have it again, but it'd be healthier to find an alternative daily drink - like tea or coffee.

I have diet soda occasionally, but not often. I know it has no nutritional benefits, but it's nice as a treat...I like mixing hard liquor with diet soda... I know I'm already getting a lot of calories with the alcohol so I feel like it saves some mixing with diet soda.

We all have to make choices on what works best for us and what we can live without. Good luck.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Having the majority of your liquid intake come from diet soda may not be the best idea, but having 1-2 per day? Go for it.

It's not too much different than someone who has a couple cups of coffee each day.

~Lyssa
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is dumb. It tastes like *kitten* and reeks havoc with your insulin levels (worse than regular soda). Aspartame is disgusting. If you need liquids, drink filtered water. Does a body a lot more good than diet soda.
  • kjb678
    kjb678 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Coke every other day or at least once a day. I watch my calorie intake and am in the process of losing weight. I don't feel like it affects anything. This is the one thing that I enjoy and look forward to. By all means, enjoy your drinks! Cheers!
  • nancypnurse
    nancypnurse Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have asked many doctors this question. They tell me that water is best; however, if it keeps you from eating/drinking sugar.... go for it. They state that there are many REPUTABLE, controlled studies that show the dangers of sugar. The literature is less clear with diet soda. If it makes you feel more hungry, don't drink it. If you are diabetic, and it makes your insulin needs greater, quit drinking it. Otherwise, moderation is key.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with diet soda (or regular soda if it fits into your calorie goals).
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I drink less than I used to, but I'm not giving it up completely. I mostly have it in the morning, then drink water the rest of the day. If I go out to eat, I get water, too, because it bothers me to pay more for one glass of soda than I would 2 two-liter bottles. I'd rather give a higher tip to the server.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I drink about a 6pack of some variation of diet soda a day. Coke zero. Pepsi max. Cherry zero. Vanilla coke zero. I love it. Especially when I'm eating. Doesn't get much better than a chilled glass of vanilla coke zero filled to the brim with ice.

But today it got me thinking. I really hate not drinking it. I drink other things too like straight water or flavored water and other things, but to not have diet coke at least once in the day, I really miss it. And that bugs me for some reason. Like I feel a little too dependent on diet soda ya know?

Is there any reason I should quit drinking it besides some obscure websites on the internet saying it's bad for you? Has anybody here quit drinking it and felt better? Or different at all?

I cut down on diet sodas and cans of sparkling waters simply because of the cost and the pain of lugging the cartons up (and empties down) 2 flights of stairs. I bought myself a SodaStream and now I drink mostly sparkling water and an occasional (couple of times a week) diet soda made from their syrups. After the initial purchase, I spend about $20-$25 a month even though I drink 2-3 liters a day.

If you enjoy your chilled glass of vanilla coke zero, go for it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is dumb. It tastes like *kitten* and reeks havoc with your insulin levels (worse than regular soda). Aspartame is disgusting. If you need liquids, drink filtered water. Does a body a lot more good than diet soda.

Orly?
    http://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Not a huge diet cola drinker anymore, to me it tastes a little tinny--can or fountain. Usually just drink water with meals. Tho found wasn't as bloated after eating when consuming just water, tho. To each his own! If your dr. doesn't have any issues, why not?
  • zoe894
    zoe894 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just cut back to 1 or 2 a day. Don't give it up completely for now. Maybe some day you will, but make that decision then.

There are more reports coming out from reputable sources that diet soda can have negative consequences to some people, though. I personally don't drink diet because it makes me feel sick, but my husband can drink 1 or 2 and feel fine. So I do think that for some people it may be harmful.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Orly?

Yes they do I am not going to get into some *kitten* stupid *kitten* debate on this. It does. I know it does. I know within the confines of my brain that it does. It's common sense.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Orly?

Yes they do I am not going to get into some *kitten* stupid *kitten* debate on this. It does. I know it does. I know within the confines of my brain that it does. It's common sense.

Oh okay. You ****KNOW**** it does. Of course. Guess I'll need to call the guys who did those studies that showed no such thing they're wrong because Ted ***knows*** they're wrong.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    As most have said... moderation is key. I drink at least one diet coke a day (sometimes two) and it has not stopped or impeded on my weight loss at all. :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple of diet fizzy drinks a week and I'm quite happy with that. Wouldn't want to drink it all the time because it can harm your teeth (plus it's not cheap) so I don't tend to keep it in the house often. I prefer the taste of diet most of the time, besides the occasional can of Dr Pepper or orange Lucozade, and I like that it's rarely over 20 calories. I've lost and kept off 30lbs for 5 years drinking diet drinks quite happily - I never notice it makes me crave sweets or that it affects me physically at all.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet Dr. Pepper with my dinner every night. Hasn't hindered my progress at all.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I drink one can of Diet Mt Dew a day, sometimes two. It doesn't effect my weight loss. The rest of the day I drink water and usually get around 100 ounces of water in. I know some people are sensitive to aspartame and say it either stalls weight loss or it gives them headaches, but I've never experienced that. I'm not one of those people that can function without caffeine in the morning.