Should I eliminate aspartame from my life? My Doctor says yes!

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I believe Diet Pepsi uses Splenda. It is best to ditch soda pop all together, but my mom used to drink Diet Pepsi to avoid Aspartame. She had cancer and didn't want to make it worse with Aspartame.

Incorrect...I'm drinking a Diet Pepsi right now, and aspartame is #3 in the list of ingredients.

Pepsi One uses Splenda and a couple of other sweeteners. Could that be what you're thinking of? Diet Rite also uses Splenda.
  • JohnTabbakh
    JohnTabbakh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    I just got back from seeing my cardiologist with a glowing report that I am praising the Lord for giving me my health back. During our conversation, my Doctor noted that I had lost weight. I told her that I had been on Nutri System...and that I really LOVE the frozen food plan! She said that Nutri System was a good way to lose weight...but that I needed to watch the labels to make sure that there were no Aspartame in the ingredients. She went on to say that Aspartame usage will result in very slow weight loss...or NONE at all...and that I should stop the Diet Coke as it was full of Aspartame. Right then and there...I swore off "pop" for ever!

But when I got home...I noticed that almost all the diet foods and drinks have Aspartame in them. Now I am wondering what I am going to eat. And I need a second opinion. Any help would be so appreciated! Roland

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Stay away from diet foods. Just eat normal food
  • JohnTabbakh
    Options
    Your body does not recognise aspartame/man made chemicals...so just guesses what to do with it. Hence all the health problems today from the rubbish supplied in food stores. Natural foods are the way forward. Sugar/Fat etc are not the enemy. Eating too much of the above is. Diet/exercise is the answer. All in moderation!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    I just got back from seeing my cardiologist with a glowing report that I am praising the Lord for giving me my health back. During our conversation, my Doctor noted that I had lost weight. I told her that I had been on Nutri System...and that I really LOVE the frozen food plan! She said that Nutri System was a good way to lose weight...but that I needed to watch the labels to make sure that there were no Aspartame in the ingredients. She went on to say that Aspartame usage will result in very slow weight loss...or NONE at all...and that I should stop the Diet Coke as it was full of Aspartame. Right then and there...I swore off "pop" for ever!

But when I got home...I noticed that almost all the diet foods and drinks have Aspartame in them. Now I am wondering what I am going to eat. And I need a second opinion. Any help would be so appreciated! Roland

Don't take nutrition advice from a cardiologist just like you shouldn't take heart advice from a nutritionist.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Call me a conspiracy theorist, but don't coca cola et al use bucket loads of aspartame in their products? ?
    Are research facilities going to go up against these Billion dollar companies and tell the public that their products are dangerous or harmful...
    They don't use bucket loads, no. A few milligrams per serving.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Your body does not recognise aspartame/man made chemicals...so just guesses what to do with it. Hence all the health problems today from the rubbish supplied in food stores. Natural foods are the way forward. Sugar/Fat etc are not the enemy. Eating too much of the above is. Diet/exercise is the answer. All in moderation!

Your body can work with aspartame just fine. It's made out of aspartic acid and phenylalanine, two amino acids you're consuming every time you eat any kind of meat, and in higher quantities than you'd ingest by drinking a whole bunch of diet soda.
  • JohnTabbakh
    Options
    Yes...lets stop with the sharing of misinformation. lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

Don't take nutrition advice from a cardiologist just like you shouldn't take heart advice from a nutritionist.

This ^ ^

As far as aspartame (and other sugar substitutes) goes, if it bothers you or you are sensitive to it, you should limit or avoid it. Otherwise, go ahead (but I do believe in moderation in all things, including sugar substitutes). There is no credible evidence that it is harmful to the general public or inhibits weight loss.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What does aspertame have to do with weight loss? It doesn't have any calories!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dont go to your cardiologist for nutrition advice.

ive lost 50 pounds in 6 months and drink diet coke fairly heavily (go in stages though but it has never slowed it down or prevented it).

i also eat whatever else i want, as long as it fits within my calories for the day.
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I can tell you this from my own experience (not very scientific I know) but I have lost over 190lb and have drunk at least 2 litres of diet soda most days. I live in the UK and am a firm believer in our health system. Here is a post from the NHS website regarding aspartame. http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

But, but, it haz chemikillz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

But, but, it haz chemikillz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh noes! *puts on tinfoil hat and runs around in circles*
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    zezelryck wrote: »
    I can tell you this from my own experience (not very scientific I know) but I have lost over 190lb and have drunk at least 2 litres of diet soda most days. I live in the UK and am a firm believer in our health system. Here is a post from the NHS website regarding aspartame. http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx.

Amazing loss! Congratulations!

• Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid aspartame as much as I can simply because it seriously aggravates my fibromyalgia. I try to stick to flavored waters that don't have any.
This discussion has been closed.