How can I get off the sugar?

Options

Replies

• gvanderh
    gvanderh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    have you read sugar blues? or potatoes not prozac? ever gone to overeaters anonymous for support:)
  • AmorAguacate
    AmorAguacate Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    nvmroz wrote: »
    I eat a lot of vegetables. Yes. Is that wrong? Hmmm.

I have struggled for lifetime and Im quite happy with my progress. Not satisfied yet but i I tend never to be fully satisfied as I don't believe I will ever stop trying to learn more ways to eat better.
    So in answer to your question. Yes I do eat a lot vegetables. Actually I don't eat rice. I do eat fruit.
    What don't I do. I don't exclude every food group categorically. So have I eaten rice in the last year yes. Have I eaten pasta? A bite out two. Have I put milk in my coffee on a random day? Yep.
    Do I drink beer? Yep.
    Am I addicted to fruits vegetables and rice. Lol. No.
    Addicted is what I was when I couldn't stop eating processed foods. I was addicted to sugar.
    The point of my post was to share my story with the original poster and let her know it is possible to give up a sugar addiction. And also that 100% quitting sugar is not only not desirable but not possible. However "essentially" quitting it does reduce it to a level in my diet where a whole other spectrum of food is open to me and I find it more easy to carry on with those better choices without the Enormous Levels that were formerly present.

I am freer than ever when it comes to food choice.

Incidentally. I also eat meat and eggs.
    Have a great day and journey.
    Saying all that still doesn't make what you said before accurate.
    And no. You weren't addicted to sugar. You just really like eating it. It's the same sugar in fruit you are just choosing to believe it's different.

+1
    I eat a lot of vegetables. Yes. Is that wrong? Hmmm.

I have struggled for lifetime and Im quite happy with my progress. Not satisfied yet but i I tend never to be fully satisfied as I don't believe I will ever stop trying to learn more ways to eat better.
    So in answer to your question. Yes I do eat a lot vegetables. Actually I don't eat rice. I do eat fruit.
    What don't I do. I don't exclude every food group categorically. So have I eaten rice in the last year yes. Have I eaten pasta? A bite out two. Have I put milk in my coffee on a random day? Yep.
    Do I drink beer? Yep.
    Am I addicted to fruits vegetables and rice. Lol. No.
    Addicted is what I was when I couldn't stop eating processed foods. I was addicted to sugar.
    The point of my post was to share my story with the original poster and let her know it is possible to give up a sugar addiction. And also that 100% quitting sugar is not only not desirable but not possible. However "essentially" quitting it does reduce it to a level in my diet where a whole other spectrum of food is open to me and I find it more easy to carry on with those better choices without the Enormous Levels that were formerly present.

I am freer than ever when it comes to food choice.

Incidentally. I also eat meat and eggs.
    Have a great day and journey.
    Saying all that still doesn't make what you said before accurate.
    And no. You weren't addicted to sugar. You just really like eating it. It's the same sugar in fruit you are just choosing to believe it's different.

Where is the button to reply without having/ to quite everything?

I do not believe the sugar is different. I know the structure of sugars as I am sure you do. I do think it makes a difference that is is consumed with the accompanying fiber.

Let's agree to disagree.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Luvs me some sugar!!! Not a coffee drinker at all...but omg the sugar! I can eat it straight, plain, mixed in, no matter. I luv Strawberry Quik on a hot, hot day in ice cold milk. <3 I luv eating those little hard crunchy sugars straight out of the box, the harder the better. <3 I luv straight sugar on my pancakes <3 Skittles are my fav candies cuz, ya know, the sugar!

I.just.had.to.stop. So now, I still have the sugar...but I measure it out by level teaspoon sometimes even a tablespoon. If I cave and want more, I measure it out. And log it before it goes in my mouth. It sucks. :/ But I do it.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options

I don't exclude every food group categorically.

So I eat those too.

I am concerned with the total sugar in my diet. I don't think we are on radically different planes here. I think I understand your point. In fact I'm sure. I don't think I am making mine clear.

I (me personally) really truly do believe that the most success, the longest lasting, the most maintainable healthy self I have achieved in 30yrs of dieting (and yes I have not been lucky enough to just grow up in a household where good diet was the norm and later it just was "the way I eat". Not suggesting you were buy if you were then great) I achieved when I made an effort of specifically cutting "out" sugar.

When I was still craving sugar I would try to find ways to substitute it in my life. So I made some almond flour banana bread. No sugar. Portioned it out. Served me a serving of 179 calories. I could hardly wait to eat it. My mouth watered. It was super yummy. Took my time. Then sat. Waiting. For what I did not know. Still I waited. After 15 min I said "funny doesn't feel like I ate banana bread". I seriously said that to myself. So I got up and got another. Thinking that would satisfy my crave. 179 Cal more later... No such luck. I enjoyed the rest of my loaf over the course of my week in the alloted portions. Satisfied. No more craving. Craving is he'll. Craving is being unable to think of anything else but my next donut. I don't want to go back there. Not even if I just ate 179 Cal of a donut. It affects me in not a good way.

I feel that the high sugar contents affect me like a drug and turns me into a sugar seeking addict for whom, and believe me this is true, there are no limit . Not the same way an almond laden banana bread slice affects me. Just the way it worked for me.

So. Do I count my Cal absolutely. When my body is on less sugar percentage fuel it feels better and I can stay within my limits without effort. Or at least far less effort. And I can't argue with that.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

So I eat those too.

I am concerned with the total sugar in my diet. I don't think we are on radically different planes here. I think I understand your point. In fact I'm sure. I don't think I am making mine clear.

I (me personally) really truly do believe that the most success, the longest lasting, the most maintainable healthy self I have achieved in 30yrs of dieting (and yes I have not been lucky enough to just grow up in a household where good diet was the norm and later it just was "the way I eat". Not suggesting you were buy if you were then great) I achieved when I made an effort of specifically cutting "out" sugar.

When I was still craving sugar I would try to find ways to substitute it in my life. So I made some almond flour banana bread. No sugar. Portioned it out. Served me a serving of 179 calories. I could hardly wait to eat it. My mouth watered. It was super yummy. Took my time. Then sat. Waiting. For what I did not know. Still I waited. After 15 min I said "funny doesn't feel like I ate banana bread". I seriously said that to myself. So I got up and got another. Thinking that would satisfy my crave. 179 Cal more later... No such luck. I enjoyed the rest of my loaf over the course of my week in the alloted portions. Satisfied. No more craving. Craving is he'll. Craving is being unable to think of anything else but my next donut. I don't want to go back there. Not even if I just ate 179 Cal of a donut. It affects me in not a good way.

I feel that the high sugar contents affect me like a drug and turns me into a sugar seeking addict for whom, and believe me this is true, there are no limit . Not the same way an almond laden banana bread slice affects me. Just the way it worked for me.

So. Do I count my Cal absolutely. When my body is on less sugar percentage fuel it feels better and I can stay within my limits without effort. Or at least far less effort. And I can't argue with that.

What was your point with the banana bread example?
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why is it that every time someone comes on here and tries to ask for advice on how to cut back on sugar, the sugar-defendants come out and try to convince them not to? Not at all helpful.

OP, I cut back on drinking sugary calories by replacing soda with sweet tea and then little by little each week I've cut back a teaspoon here teaspoon there. My teas now have half the sugar they used to have and still taste sweet enough for me. Just had to go slow. Maybe that something that you can do with your coffee.
  • AmorAguacate
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

So I eat those too.

That 179 calories of almond banana bread affect me differently than I expected 179 calories of a higher sugar content banana bread. I did not feel my usual sugar high. It was the moment I realized what a sugar high I really experience when I consume it in those quantities. And once I get that high, I becomes impossible to resist consuming more of it and going for more of it.
    Resisting the urge becomes easier for me when I limit the sugar. It is what it is.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Addiewe wrote: »
    Why is it that every time someone comes on here and tries to ask for advice on how to cut back on sugar, the sugar-defendants come out and try to convince them not to? Not at all helpful.

OP, I cut back on drinking sugary calories by replacing soda with sweet tea and then little by little each week I've cut back a teaspoon here teaspoon there. My teas now have half the sugar they used to have and still taste sweet enough for me. Just had to go slow. Maybe that something that you can do with your coffee.

If you actually read the responses, most people were advising the OP to cut back on sugar calories, either by reducing the amount she was using or using sugar free substitutes. If the OP is going over her calorie goals then yes, she needs to make adjustments. Changing up her high calorie coffees are a great place to start. Doesn't mean she can't still use some sugar in her diet-she just has to learn how to make it fit into her calorie goals :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tash754 wrote: »
    i have just recently decided enough is enough, I need to lose the excess weight! I am the biggest I have ever been, from the tracking I am doing, I'm finding my worst enemy is my coffee/sugar! I do truly believe I'm addicted and how can I get off it? Any tips or advice? Plz feel free to friend me to chat

you stop eating things with sugar in them...you stop adding sugar to things.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

So I eat those too.

That 179 calories of almond banana bread affect me differently than I expected 179 calories of a higher sugar content banana bread. I did not feel my usual sugar high. It was the moment I realized what a sugar high I really experience when I consume it in those quantities. And once I get that high, I becomes impossible to resist consuming more of it and going for more of it.
    Resisting the urge becomes easier for me when I limit the sugar. It is what it is.

I hear you! It's the same for me.
    People say it can't be an addiction because with an addiction the person can't have any of the addictive substance at all. I don't believe that because if that's true why can reformed alcoholics consume rum cake and coq au vin without relapsing?
    I think it's something to do with the concentration of the substance in whatever form you're consuming it, so your banana bread example makes complete sense.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm still confused. So eating sugary banana bread made you high and made you crave it. The low sugar banana bread didn't make you high. So you ate more low sugar banana bread to make sure that you weren't getting high? And you concluded that a 179 Cal donut made you feel bad too.

The stuff I read on here....
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    @nvmroz If you don't want to eat sugar, don't eat sugar. Have at it. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong or evil about sugar or that the videos you mention are anything except pseudo-scientific nonsense.
  • cwolfman13
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Addiewe wrote: »

because people are ignorant and like to compare sugar to crack cocaine...it's ridiculous...

most people who eat anything resembling the SAD could definitely stand to cut back on their sugar consumption...but the way it gets portrayed as some kind of crack around here is just ridiculous.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with cutting back on sugar.You don't have to cut it out completely, but too much sugar is not good for you either. I suggest you log your calories for a week and see where you are getting most of your sugar from. I used to put two heaping teaspoons of sugar in my coffee and now I only put one. I don't worry about cutting it out completely, but I also don't want my diet to be mostly processed sugar laden junk. If most of your sugar intake is coming from fruits and veggies and things like that, then you should be ok. If most of it is coming from cookies, donuts, and the like, then just work on cutting back on the times a day you eat processed sweets and on portion size as well.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

So I eat those too.

People say it can't be an addiction because with an addiction the person can't have any of the addictive substance at all. I don't believe that because if that's true why can reformed alcoholics consume rum cake and coq au vin without relapsing?
    I think it's something to do with the concentration of the substance in whatever form you're consuming it, so your banana bread example makes complete sense.

If it's an addiction then it's an addiction to all sugar, not just the ones you have no self control around. Your body is processing everything, you are just choosing to believe some magical process happens because it's from a different source. It's a cop out

If the amount of the addictive substance is low enough in the thing being consumed, then it apparently doesn't produce what are called the "psychoactive and rewarding effects" - i.e. it doesn't reinforce the addiction.

There was a proposal about 20 years ago to force the tobacco industry to do this with cigarettes (i.e. reduce the amount of nicotine until it was below this threshold) but mysteriously it never materialised.

• cwolfman13
    Options

So I eat those too.

If it's an addiction then it's an addiction to all sugar, not just the ones you have no self control around. Your body is processing everything, you are just choosing to believe some magical process happens because it's from a different source. It's a cop out

• AmorAguacate
    Options
    Than
    @nvmroz If you don't want to eat sugar, don't eat sugar. Have at it. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong or evil about sugar or that the videos you mention are anything except pseudo-scientific nonsense.

Insightful. Thank you.
    My advice was for the person who started the thread. And actually she did want to cut ter sugar back.
    If you want to eat large quantities of sugar then eat large quantities of sugar. "Have it. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong or evil" about not eating sugar in large quantities.
    And those videos did help me on my journey- sorry if that bothers you but it is what it is. It helped me start. And since the poster was asking for tips... Well that's that.

Glad your journey has landed you at the pinnacle of scientific truth. Congratulations.
    Peace out.