Is it normal to start very slow?

Options
whoawa77
whoawa77 Posts: 3 Member
Starting on 5/1 I have given up soda, started walking (using my Fitbit), and tracking every single thing I have eaten (Myfitnesspal.com). I have not been perfect but I have been honest and am truly trying to make a lifestyle change rather than being on a diet. Most days are good and some days I learn why I gained so much weight to being with. :) However, after 29 days I am only down 3.2 lbs. I am 38 years old, 5'5, 228 lbs, and the only medical issue I have is PCOS (which I take meds for). I feel the difference in my attitude and physically (which is great) but I wish my scale would reflect this or my clothes would fit better. My husband keeps saying my body is adjusting to the changes and that I will start seeing better numbers if I stick with it. Is he right??

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    whoawa77 wrote: »
    My husband keeps saying my body is adjusting to the changes and that I will start seeing better numbers if I stick with it. Is he right??

Yes. If you are disciplined and steady, compare this message to where you'll be a year from now.
  • whoawa77
    Options
    Thank you and I am determined to continue, even my children notice the change in my personality!!! I think I need to stop watching all those weight loss shows where people drop weight so fast! lol!
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Good for you! And 3 lbs is great in a month. Your husband is right, stick with it.
    There will be weeks you lose nothing for no good reason, and there will be weeks you lose a lot for no good reason. It's great that you are learning as you go along. Good luck!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's actually a really nice loss!

Remember too that with starting a new exercise (or more of an existing one) you'll retain water for muscle repair. This could potentially mask a higher loss. Same thing for extra sodium or your period, ovulation, etc.

As long as you've got a downward trend, you're doing great.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I seem to recall seeing mentions of low-carb being helpful for weight loss for those with PCOS? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in with real info to back that up/call it bunk.

ETA: Yes, you've got the right idea & slow and steady will get you there. Good luck!

~Lyssa
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Actually thats not slow at all. I've been at it for 2.5 months now and lost 5 lbs so far. My plan is to lose the weight in a healthy, sustainable way because I have to be able to keep this up for the rest of my life.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes. Starting slow allows you to make the changes you need to your life so that you can keep the weight off. First thing I did was swap out soda for unsweet tea. I did that for a couple of months until I got used to it, then adjusted something else. And now, while I don't have the healthiest diet around *ahem*, I've almost hit my goal, I know how to adjust my meals for the day to meet my needs, and it's something I'll be able to do for the rest of my life. I have over days, which are usually celebrations of some kind, and that's fine too. I'm back on track the next day and it works for me.

The trick is to find what works FOR YOU. What works for others might not help you at all, so be aware of that when someone says 'try this!'. As long as your weight trends down, even if you stall for a couple of weeks, you're fine. You are succeeding in your journey, and as long as you're doing that, doesn't matter if it's slow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Starting on 5/1 I have given up soda, started walking (using my Fitbit), and tracking every single thing I have eaten (Myfitnesspal.com). I have not been perfect but I have been honest and am truly trying to make a lifestyle change rather than being on a diet. Most days are good and some days I learn why I gained so much weight to being with. :) However, after 29 days I am only down 3.2 lbs. I am 38 years old, 5'5, 228 lbs, and the only medical issue I have is PCOS (which I take meds for). I feel the difference in my attitude and physically (which is great) but I wish my scale would reflect this or my clothes would fit better. My husband keeps saying my body is adjusting to the changes and that I will start seeing better numbers if I stick with it. Is he right??

It took me the better part of a decade to put my weight on...it took awhile for it to come off as well...but relatively speaking, the 9 months it took me to take off 40 Lbs and the other 12 months it took me to re-comp and further reduce my body fat % wasn't that long at all...relatively speaking. An now here I am almost 3 years later kicking *kitten* and taking names...

Weight loss is slow...weight gain is slow...none of this happens over night.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That's not slow. You're doing great - keep it up.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and give yourself a chance to adapt and make progress

It has been a long path for me of over 100 pounds, and there were bumps
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. I just started about six weeks ago logging everything and watching my calories. I've lost about 5 lbs so far. I have to say I'm eating a lot better now and I know my weight is going to come off if I just stick to this. It's amazing how full I can feel on 1300 calories a day so I know I'm doing something right. Don't give up the weight will come off. Your body is adjusting to everything and changes will come!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    After 29 days I am only down 3.2 lbs. I am 38 years old, 5'5, 228 lbs, and the only medical issue I have is PCOS (which I take meds for). I feel the difference in my attitude and physically (which is great) but I wish my scale would reflect this or my clothes would fit better. My husband keeps saying my body is adjusting to the changes and that I will start seeing better numbers if I stick with it. Is he right??

A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. Real life is nothing like The Biggest Loser—you're doing great. Take measurements and progress photos, too.
  • whoawa77
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! So wonderful to have such great support from complete strangers.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle changes take time. You sound like you are doing great. My first three weeks were educational too. I had no idea how much I had been eating. But that's the point. MFP and the tracker give you real data about yourself that you can learn from.
    None of those tv shows are ever going to do that. And most people who loose a lot of weight fast fail to keep it off because they didn't really learn how to change their habits. Usually the methods used for those shows are extreme and unsustainable in the long term.
    Sounds like you have a wonderful and supportive husband. :)
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    3.2 pounds a month sounds like losing almost 40 pounds in a year if you stick with it. And, that's quicker than me so YAY YOU :) Not sure how much better of numbers you wanted to see...but that is pretty fantastic in my book! My doctor recommends losing at a rate of 0.5 to 1 pound a week if it is to be a long term maintainable loss. His idea is that it is a lot of small choices and changes over a longer period of time that lead to sustainable change. One month of making these changes and you have LOST WEIGHT. Congratulations! It is very hard to do. The hardest part is sticking to it when the scale isn't moving. But, if you count the calories, stick to your goal, and are honest with yourself it DOES work.

Just FYI, it has been 19 pounds lost in 6 months for me, and that is a rate of 3.16 pounds lost a month average. There were a few bumps on the way where I lost a little, gained some, didn't lose AT ALL for 2-3 weeks, etc. But OVERALL, the trend is downward. Have faith in the process, it will work! So, in a way we are the same :)

And, your husband is right! The numbers will get there. 3 pounds doesn't sound like a lot until it is for a longer bit of time. In 6 months would you be happy to have lost 20 pounds? Of course you would! Reach out, find friends to encourage you, and above all else, never give up! You are worth it!
  • omkarbhimraobhosekar01313
    Options
    Very slow means your diet isn't properly maintained. Loosing very fast means gaining of weight very fast after you stop workout/diet. Try to decide how much weight you want to lose every week like 1pound 1.5pound and stick to it up to the time you reach your desired goal of weight loss.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much. I have averaged 3-4 lbs per month with the goal to lose 1 lb/week. With time you'll get better and more use to the change. There will be months with higher weight loss and others with lower. Just try to see the whole picture. Keep it up!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Very slow means your diet isn't properly maintained. Loosing very fast means gaining of weight very fast after you stop workout/diet. Try to decide how much weight you want to lose every week like 1pound 1.5pound and stick to it up to the time you reach your desired goal of weight loss.

and what make you think that people who lose fast, gain it back fast?

Its only when you eat Surplus that you gain weight.
    So if you lose fast or slow doesn't matter at all. ( health wise is another story of course)

But OP you are doing great! Keep going.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I started slow. And it was a bit frustrating...

Funny thing is, I noticed I stopped the gaining weight cycle and was losing!

In time I was able to get used to not just eating like a mad man. I also became a bit more able to exercise off some calories.

It is a long haul. A project for life.

Keep with it and you are indeed doing great!

Time is adding up good results just like a bank account. Every good day you have keeps adding to your success bank!

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Honestly I'd be more concerned with rapid weight loss.

You're doing everything right to make this a long term life change. It isn't a diet, just work in small deficits and once you hit those small goals, make another small achievable goal. After you hit each goal, reassess and make a new one. Before you know it you have created habits and no longer have to think about it.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle